NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Other NGTO Forums > Firearms & Shooting
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-11, 08:27 PM   #31
tommyking
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Browns View Post
as long as your shot placement is on point!
We didn't say shot placement well if that's the case Ill just break out the old laser guided Tomahawk cruse missile that will reach out and touch it at o lets say 500 miles
Old 02-23-11, 08:35 PM   #32
Buck Henry
Former NGTO President, Sith Lord, FKA Bhuk Henri

And when you really need to ensure a kill no matter how bad your aim is, there is always the good old Phase Plasma Rifle.

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member
Buck Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-11, 08:37 PM   #33
tommyking
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Henry View Post
And when you really need to ensure a kill no matter how bad your aim is, there is always the good old Phase Plasma Rifle.

Now thats funny
Old 02-23-11, 08:42 PM   #34
tommyking
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Darnell View Post
I am looking for a rifle for elk, I'm thinking 30-06 or 7mm mag. I really like the browning X bolt and A bolt but I am not a rich man. Any suggestions for a rifle that i should be looking for, either new or used, that won't break the bank?
What would be the rifle equilivent of the remington 870 express shotgun (i.e. reliable and affordable?)
Thanks
Jared Elk are thin skinned so a 270 will do the job but a 30/06 or a 7mm would get you a bit more power all three cal are great rounds and you can still have a nice deer riffle,and you can get any of these for around 400.00 bucks.A 870 will run you around 350 to 375 so there you go.
Old 02-23-11, 08:43 PM   #35
Fire Walker
Past Director, Hall of Fame Member

Thumbs up Huntfish

You guys joke but your not going to find a more knowledgeable guy when it comes to hunting and firearms than Russ. This guy is no BS and knows his stuff. I have known Russ since the old Bass Pro days (10+ years) and he has always been willing to spend as much time as it takes answering every question you may have. A true steward of the outdoors, he is a class act. I have mad respect for him even if he does crawl around on his belly looking for wild brookies!
Fire Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-11, 08:56 PM   #36
tommyking
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Walker View Post
You guys joke but your not going to find a more knowledgeable guy when it comes to hunting and firearms than Russ. This guy is no BS and knows his stuff. I have known Russ since the old Bass Pro days (10+ years) and he has always been willing to spend as much time as it takes answering every question you may have. A true steward of the outdoors, he is a class act. I have mad respect for him even if he does crawl around on his belly looking for wild brookies!
Dude chill.Its all in good fun.We all know Russ is the man when it comes to hunting and fire arms.Im just goofing around with him as he dose the same with me.So that being sad go drink a beer and chill out
Old 02-23-11, 10:29 PM   #37
Jared Darnell
Stocker

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the replies. It is down to a savage or tikka t3 light in 7mm mag. they are both about the same price in synthetic stainless. I recently moved to montana, so this gun is going to be for elk and mule deer and mabey antelope.
Jared Darnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-11, 05:56 AM   #38
huntfish
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Walker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyking View Post
Dude chill.Its all in good fun.We all know Russ is the man when it comes to hunting and fire arms.Im just goofing around with him as he dose the same with me.So that being sad go drink a beer and chill out
I understood that..... No harm...
huntfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-11, 05:59 AM   #39
huntfish
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Darnell View Post
Thanks for all the replies. It is down to a savage or tikka t3 light in 7mm mag. they are both about the same price in synthetic stainless. I recently moved to montana, so this gun is going to be for elk and mule deer and mabey antelope.
Tikka is made by Sako and has excellent reviews from the get go. Now don't forget about the base/ring & scope. Don't go cheap on the base/rings. Anticipate to spend as much for a scope as you do for your rifle. One word,,,,Stay away from Burris, if you ever have any problems, you now own an expensive decoration.
huntfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-11, 09:59 AM   #40
star8
Native

Suggest you just borrow or rent an old rifle from a friend. Don't worry about how heavy it is especially if you are going to one the many "elk farms". If you have a guide he can carry it for you some of the way. You can also rent a rifle from the guide and target practice or sight it in a little while you are out there.

Buying a new rifle and new case and taking it on a plane is costly and very very rough on your equipment. Leave your good rifle on your gun rack at home. You will be glad you did.
Star8
star8 is offline   Reply With Quote