NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Other NGTO Forums > Firearms & Shooting
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-11, 10:44 AM   #41
island_boy
Native

Send a message via AIM to island_boy Send a message via MSN to island_boy Send a message via Yahoo to island_boy
Default Check out NEF/H&R Handi-Rifles

Can be had for ~200-250 or so, in any caliber you choose.

Single shot, dead simple, dead reliable!

You can be outfitted w/ rifle and scope for <$400, and still have money left over for ammo!

Also, check used racks and gun shows. I've seen many bolt and semi-auto setups w/ scopes for $200-250... 30-06 and you can take anything on the NA Continent...

Of course, I'm partial to my Win94 30-30 I bought used for $175...

Island Boy

Or kickin' back with Ivan With all my friends down in the islands

Wouldn't take much for me to up and run To another life somewhere in the sun
island_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-11, 10:48 AM   #42
huntfish
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by star8 View Post
Suggest you just borrow or rent an old rifle from a friend. Don't worry about how heavy it is especially if you are going to one the many "elk farms". If you have a guide he can carry it for you some of the way. You can also rent a rifle from the guide and target practice or sight it in a little while you are out there.

Buying a new rifle and new case and taking it on a plane is costly and very very rough on your equipment. Leave your good rifle on your gun rack at home. You will be glad you did.
Star8
????? If you are going to a place where you rent a rifle from the guide who will also carry it, four words......

Find A Different Guide....
huntfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-11, 11:43 AM   #43
island_boy
Native

Send a message via AIM to island_boy Send a message via MSN to island_boy Send a message via Yahoo to island_boy
Default Hey, you're in luck

This just came up for sale...

Hemmingway's .577 nitro express elephant gun for sale...

That'd take a NA Elk, I'm sure of it...

Island Boy...

p.s. - I bet you could get your guide to carry it, too...

Or kickin' back with Ivan With all my friends down in the islands

Wouldn't take much for me to up and run To another life somewhere in the sun
island_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-11, 01:51 PM   #44
star8
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntfish View Post
????? If you are going to a place where you rent a rifle from the guide who will also carry it, four words......

Find A Different Guide....

Huntfish I have never been to an Elk Farm/Ranch- alway tried to elk hunt like "Davy Crockett". However, as hunting lands have become scarce stocked elk farms and ranches or 1000 acre plus fenced in wildlife plantations is the future of modern hunting. It has been and is available now for everyone. All you need is a few hours and some cash. 100% success rate and every one comes home a winner with a trophy, meat and tanned hide to brag on. No gun, no shoes, no problem. Jared Darnel can rent a nice rifle, a bullet or two and even a cowboy hat.
star8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-11, 02:13 PM   #45
huntfish
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Huntfish I have never been to an Elk Farm/Ranch- alway tried to elk hunt like "Davy Crockett". However, as hunting lands have become scarce stocked elk farms and ranches or 1000 acre plus fenced in wildlife plantations is the future of modern hunting. It has been and is available now for everyone. All you need is a few hours and some cash. 100% success rate and every one comes home a winner with a trophy, meat and tanned hide to brag on. No gun, no shoes, no problem. Jared Darnel can rent a nice rifle, a bullet or two and even a cowboy hat.

You are gravely mistaken if you think high fence hunting is the future of modern hunting.
huntfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-11, 02:48 PM   #46
_Cold_
Native

Last edited by _Cold_; 02-14-14 at 05:07 PM.
_Cold_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-11, 03:26 PM   #47
learning to fly
Native

I'm a 308 fan I have taken White tails at close to 500 yards with no problem. I have been very pleased with the ballistic performance. stuff 282.jpg
learning to fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-11, 06:16 PM   #48
MariettaMike
Native

Default Scope Mount

If you get the Tikka I highly recommend you get the Game Reaper lightweight one piece mount. Install it yourself with the included allen wrench with no need for lapping. I read mixed reviews on the rings Tikka includes with the rifle and since I have a 30mm scope I never even tried them.

I used the high mount for my 3-12x56 and have around 1/8" of barrel clearance. Probably could have snuck by with a medium height.

http://swfa.com/DNZ-Lightweight-30mm...nt-P41358.aspx

If you want to go QD I can tell you about using one of these in a few weeks:

http://swfa.com/EGW-HD-Picatinny-Rai...nt-P45932.aspx

They also make these for Savage, but I can't speak for them.

http://swfa.com/DNZ-Lightweight-1-Sc...nt-P41539.aspx
MariettaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-11, 08:07 PM   #49
Egg Sucking Leach
Native

Quote:
Suggest you just borrow or rent an old rifle from a friend. Don't worry about how heavy it is especially if you are going to one the many "elk farms". If you have a guide he can carry it for you some of the way. You can also rent a rifle from the guide and target practice or sight it in a little while you are out there.

Buying a new rifle and new case and taking it on a plane is costly and very very rough on your equipment. Leave your good rifle on your gun rack at home. You will be glad you did.
Star8
I'm confused. My new BFF Jared's previous post states:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Darnell View Post
Thanks for all the replies. It is down to a savage or tikka t3 light in 7mm mag. they are both about the same price in synthetic stainless. I recently moved to Montana, so this gun is going to be for elk and mule deer and mabey antelope.
It's been a long time since I was in Montana, but way back then, elk were a pretty common local species. One idea you had did pique my interest.

Jared, if you're anywhere near the Bitteroot, I could be your friend, and you could borrow my 30-06 when I come to visit.
Egg Sucking Leach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-11, 08:50 PM   #50
Fire Walker
Past Director, Hall of Fame Member

I am chill didnt mean to sound like a jerk
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyking View Post
Dude chill.Its all in good fun.We all know Russ is the man when it comes to hunting and fire arms.Im just goofing around with him as he dose the same with me.So that being sad go drink a beer and chill out
Fire Walker is offline   Reply With Quote