NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Other NGTO Forums > Firearms & Shooting
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-11, 02:47 PM   #1
gojackets
Native

Default Over/Under advice

I do a decent amount of shooting at Tom Lowe's when I'm at school but I've always used one of their rental Berettas. I've been looking at getting my own o/u this summer and wanted to see if any of y'all had advice on a solid entry-level gun. Condor is out of the question; I've heard too many negative reviews about it, but I've been looking at the Mossberg Silver Reserve. Not sure whether I want to fork over the extra cash for a Citori or not.
Old 07-08-11, 03:14 PM   #2
Buck Henry
Former NGTO President, Sith Lord, FKA Bhuk Henri

There is certainly nothing wrong with those inexpensive over-unders that you find at the big box sporting good stores, and they will go boom when you pull the trigger. The problem is that most of these guns were not really designed to handle a lot of high volume shooting like you will do at Tom Lowes. I was where you are last year and decided to up my budget a bit to purchase a competition grade O/U and am glad I did.

BTW, I am a big fan of the Browning Citori and just picked up two of them for a great price. If you look around, you can find a good used Grade 1 Citori for around $900 bucks. Citori's are built tough and will serve you well both in the field and at the range.

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member
Buck Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-11, 03:42 PM   #3
JOHNKIES
Hall of Fame Member

Default O/Us

Two barrels do swing nicely as long as you don't have to carry all that iron too far. And at a range or preserve, you won't be. If you want to find a good buy on any shotgun of the range type, go visit some of the shooting clubs and take a look at their bulletin board or ask staff about used shotguns. There are a lot of folks who take to gunning like they do to fly fishing. They get a taste and next thing you know they've dropped $3K on a double before they figure out they are not in the sport for the long run. Ever pick up a nice rod that way?

Do some looking ahead of time so you have an idea of what you like, prices for new and used shotguns you have in mind, and carry cash with you! The guy who is thinking about selling that sweet O/U for $1200 might just say "it's yours" to $800 cash.
JOHNKIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-11, 04:27 PM   #4
The Ole Man
Past Director, Past CFO,

Ya jackets--John is correct. Last Fall I was accidentally "introduced" to clay shooting by some guys here. I didn't want to drop the big bucks on something I might rarely engage in either. I was right--I got the gun last Nov and have used it once. I bought the Stevens Goldwing 512 12 ga O/U. A little under $600 with tax. It is made in Turkey but in a modern manufacturing facility. Finish is pretty good and it goes bang every time. Shotguns aren't rocket science. Anywho--I bought the TFO level O/U. I don't hunt or shoot competitively so I believe it will serve my purposes. If you have the cash and long-term interest absolutely buy the best gun you can find. Beretta is hard to beat and I saw a beauty of one on Outdoor Trader last week for $900. Also look at the Cabelas Gun Library. They have used guns at their stores all over the country and will ship to your FFL.
The Ole Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-11, 05:04 PM   #5
Architorture
Native

how much do you want to spend?

best OU's for the money (all used)

winchester 101
miroku (japanese company who made winny 101's some guns for Charles Daly)
marlin model 90

a few Miroku's to check out:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=238879018
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=240103050
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=239645147
even a 20 ga: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=239533469

also, my friend has a yildiz that he really likes.

But I'm partial to used guns on something like an over/under. The entry level guns are not worth what they cost, imo, and my train of thought is if you can't afford a nice O/U, buy a semi-auto until you save up enough. Might not be what you want to hear, but that's me. And if you buy a nice used O/U, and decide 6 months from now clays aren't your game, then you can sell it and get your money right back out of it.

if you settle on a semi-auto, then Benelli, beretta 390's or 391's, and remington 1100's are the way to.

and as always, Go Jackets. THWG.

Last edited by Architorture; 07-08-11 at 05:13 PM.
Architorture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-11, 05:30 PM   #6
The Ole Man
Past Director, Past CFO,

Btw jackets--
O/Us are another one of those things that are hard to buy made in the USA. Stevens Goldwing, Mossy Silver Reserve, and Yildiz are all made in Turkey. Remington has sold O/Us made in Italy, Japan, Russia and Belgium. CZ is Czech Republic. Ruger Red Label may be the only O/U made in the US now--not too sure about those.
The Ole Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-11, 05:32 PM   #7
Buck Henry
Former NGTO President, Sith Lord, FKA Bhuk Henri

Yep, my Remington Premier STS shotgun was made by Sabatti in Italy and my Browning Citoris of course are made in Japan. BTW, Connecticut Arms is making a very sweat OU called the A-10 American up in the northeast, but you had better be prepared to open up the wallet for one of them!

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member
Buck Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-11, 07:30 PM   #8
S.Trutta
Native

Ruger Red Label....American made, solid as can be, and one of my favorite 20 gauges to shoot at the range or in the field.

Rich
Old 07-08-11, 09:17 PM   #9
TroutSniper
Native, Formerly Known as LoggerHeadBowBuster

Condor is a good beater O/U, got one as a back up. O/U's can be bout like fly rods, you can spend as little as a few hundred dollars for a Condor or tens of thousands for a custom Kreigoff or how ever you spell it. If your just starting out I would recommend gettin one a little cheaper, could probably get a better grade used one for the same as a new one. Once you have used it a while and decide that you actually gonna keep it up, then you can start shellin out for a better gun, plus this way you can do some research over time to find your next one.

Best of Luck

"That old whisky drinking, bluegrass listening, Carhartt wearing, all night roaming rambler he'll always be." Yonder Mountain String Band

Official GATOR HATER
TroutSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-11, 07:30 AM   #10
huntfish
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Henry View Post
There is certainly nothing wrong with those inexpensive over-unders that you find at the big box sporting good stores, and they will go boom when you pull the trigger. The problem is that most of these guns were not really designed to handle a lot of high volume shooting like you will do at Tom Lowes. I was where you are last year and decided to up my budget a bit to purchase a competition grade O/U and am glad I did.

BTW, I am a big fan of the Browning Citori and just picked up two of them for a great price. If you look around, you can find a good used Grade 1 Citori for around $900 bucks. Citori's are built tough and will serve you well both in the field and at the range.
Buck is correct.....If you are planning into getting serious about shooting clays a lot, spend the money for a better gun.... The cheaper models will function but don't hold value over time. Another option is to get a semiauto to start out and use it to bird hunt also...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNKIES View Post
Two barrels do swing nicely as long as you don't have to carry all that iron too far. And at a range or preserve, you won't be. If you want to find a good buy on any shotgun of the range type, go visit some of the shooting clubs and take a look at their bulletin board or ask staff about used shotguns. There are a lot of folks who take to gunning like they do to fly fishing. They get a taste and next thing you know they've dropped $3K on a double before they figure out they are not in the sport for the long run. Ever pick up a nice rod that way?

Do some looking ahead of time so you have an idea of what you like, prices for new and used shotguns you have in mind, and carry cash with you! The guy who is thinking about selling that sweet O/U for $1200 might just say "it's yours" to $800 cash.
True, but make sure you know what you are getting into.
huntfish is offline   Reply With Quote