NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Other NGTO Forums > Firearms & Shooting
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-12, 07:23 AM   #21
dhatch
Native

shall not be infringed.

~by Chuck Clark~
dhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-12, 09:13 AM   #22
MariettaMike
Native

If just one of the movie patrons In Aurora was carrying last week, then its possible there could have been less victims plus one justifiable fatality.

And I am pretty sure that any of those people that ran for their lives wouldn't have cared if their hero didn't have or need a permit.
Old 07-26-12, 10:19 AM   #23
star8
Native

Some holsters should be outlawed.

Stood behind a man in line for a few seconds at a restaurant who was sporting a shoulder holster that had the gun positioned horizontally. It was pointing directly at the personís stomach or chest behind him in line.

People would have felt better if the gun was pointing towards the ground. People who noticed the gun switched lines. He was in the short line.
star8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-12, 10:20 AM   #24
Lonewolf867
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariettaMike View Post
If just one of the movie patrons In Aurora was carrying last week, then its possible there could have been less victims plus one justifiable fatality.

And I am pretty sure that any of those people that ran for their lives wouldn't have cared if their hero didn't have or need a permit.
AMEN Mike !!
Just take a look at Georgia Tech. They have a gun free zone and no one is allowed to have a firearm there...Well how many robberies and assaults have we had down there?

When will we all realize that gun control is only a way for the government to control the population.

Most of the tools that we use on a regular basis are just as deadly if not more so than a gun. They are more likely to hurt you. But people have attached a stigma to a firearm that they have some magical powers to harm you.
They are a tool and nothing else. Teach proper care and respect then there is no issue. Both of my sons have been raised around and using firearms. They have never had a curiosity about them because it was nothing special or off limits. Anytime they wanted to see one I would stop what I was doing and retrieve the weapon of choice..show them the proper way to handle and check the weapon and then allow them to hold...They never had an issue with it.
Government has done a great job of wussifying the population into thinking that we can only be protected by the police or an "Official" Problem is the police or "Officials" can only tell you what happened. They are there after the fact. Just ask the folks in Colorado...

OK Stepping down off of the soapbox now.....Putting on flame retardant suit...ready..

Mike
Old 07-26-12, 10:46 AM   #25
Trout8myfly
Past Director, Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariettaMike View Post
If just one of the movie patrons In Aurora was carrying last week, then it's possible there could have been less victims plus one justifiable fatality.
I'm in the "maybe" column on this. Not because it's not a good idea (in general, it is), but because in this instance:
a) the nutjob was wearing body armor.
b) the ability (or lack) of the average carry permit holder to hit anything smaller than a bus when their body is pumped full of adrenaline.
c) the chaos in the theater and the smoke probably made target identification very tough.

In other words in this specific situation (IMO) a run-of-the-mill CCP holder would have been extremely challenged to change the outcome without getting hurt or killed themselves.

Would I have tried? I honestly don't know. For the record, I don't currently carry. I do know the Aurora massacre was more akin to a combat firefight than a robbery or a car jacking, both of which require their own tactics.

At VA Tech someone with a gun - and able - could have made a difference. No question. But that was a very different situation. Cho didn't wear armor, he had to make multiple magazine changes and he shot in well-lit rooms using "only" handguns. One of the weapons was a Walther P22 semi-automatic and the the other was a 9 mm Glock 19. Between the two pistols he carried 19 magazines and 400 rounds. The larger magazines held 15 rounds, the smaller held 10.
Trout8myfly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-12, 11:26 AM   #26
Buck Henry
Former NGTO President, Sith Lord, FKA Bhuk Henri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout8myfly View Post
In other words in this specific situation (IMO) a run-of-the-mill CCP holder would have been extremely challenged to change the outcome without getting hurt or killed themselves.
I disagree. Any gun fire from a would-be hero in that theater would have been a major distraction to the bad guy. He would no longer have the luxury of shooting folks indiscriminately if someone was returning fire directed at him. I am convinced that this would have a strong potential to save lives.

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member
Buck Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-12, 11:39 AM   #27
Moye
Native

Even trained professionals can have a hard time acquiring a target under those conditions but if someone had the begonias to send some down range, as Buck said it would help. Even with body armor if he had been hit with a reasonably good round, .40 or .45, he would have stopped shooting pretty quick to check on what knocked his liver crooked.
Moye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-12, 12:44 PM   #28
Architorture
Native

A movie theater is one of the places I will not go without carrying.
Architorture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-12, 12:53 PM   #29
Trout8myfly
Past Director, Hall of Fame Member

Sure, if armor was the only condition. It wasn't. Hence I said "maybe."

The tox report on this guy might also be interesting. Looking at the video of him in the courtroom I'd say he was either drugged then or coming down from a high on something. If seriously drugged out during the shooting then he might have taken a bullet in the leg or arm and still kept going.

Eh...it's all Monday-morning quarterbacking. No one knows what they would have done.
Trout8myfly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-12, 03:28 PM   #30
Troutbum120189
Native

Send a message via Skype™ to Troutbum120189

I'll agree with you to an extent sir (trout8myfly). The smoke along with continuous gun fire would have shaken any good carrying citizen. Heck I imagine it would have shaken up anyone period. But like a few of the members here have stated, had anyone returned fire in the general direction, more likely than not, it would have had some influence on the situation. Maybe it would have driven this kid to take cover, allowing multiple people to escape... Maybe the kid would have run out the back door in fear for his life... Who knows, Monday quarterbacking is a great way to explain what we are doing now.

I will say this however; body armor or no body armor, had this crazy kid taken a hit by something in the range of a .40 or .45 (which, many law abiding citizens with carrying permits carry these calibers), it would have knocked him off his feet... Allowing for follow up shots, or escape, or both. The .45 caliber was made to take out the Germans in WWI who were high off of opium and weren't being stopped by the .30 caliber rifles that were pumping holes into them. That caliber is made to stop whatever it comes into contact with. So body armor, smoke, PCP (I assume that's what the kids are doing these days when they want to feel brave), it would have all been different had someone pulled out the weapon and returned fire.
Matthew 4:19 - Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men." (20) At once they left their nets and followed him.

There is even greater fishing than fly-fishing... And an even greater reward!

Romans 10:9-10
That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.
Troutbum120189 is offline   Reply With Quote