NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Other NGTO Forums > Firearms & Shooting
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-13, 02:51 PM   #21
Remoh
Hall of Fame Member, Official Ambassador to the State of Alabama, Iron Skillet Award Recipient, and cruiser of the western Caribbean

I was hiking Kennesaw Mountain a few weeks ago with my daughter. We found a nice lookout spot on a big rock to take a break. I feel like huntfish's girlfriend now- Although I only wear a Double A with stuffing. Darn Chiggers
Remoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-13, 01:43 PM   #22
JOHNKIES
Hall of Fame Member

Cool Avoid vs. Ignore

By what I have read here, it would appear there is no effective repellent for chiggers. So, ignore is the other option: When you go into the woods go nekked and run barefoot and you will have so many other bites, wounds and assorted personal injuries that a few dozen chigger bites will go totally unnoticed! You have my word on that! --jk--
JOHNKIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-13, 02:41 PM   #23
star8
Native

Just reponding to the past discussion on Chiggers.

A non- toxic prevention of chiggers is plain rubbing alcohol.
Pour it on your clothes and let it soak thru to the skin just before you go into the brush. Every so often get a paper towel and soak it in alcohol. Drop your drawers and wipe yourself down. Might sting a little. Splash it on your socks and let it soak down into your boots. Splash it around your waste and under your arms.
You can also use Listerine.
itchy.
star8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-13, 10:28 PM   #24
Brotherbear
Native

As far as a cure for the itch, amputation help's some.
Old 10-19-13, 11:08 AM   #25
star8
Native

A good quick cure for the chigger itch is scratch the bump with a serrated knife blade and dab with salt. Works for poison ivy too.
star8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-13, 12:56 PM   #26
Remoh
Hall of Fame Member, Official Ambassador to the State of Alabama, Iron Skillet Award Recipient, and cruiser of the western Caribbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by star8 View Post
A good quick cure for the chigger itch is scratch the bump with a serrated knife blade and dab with salt. Works for poison ivy too.
Never had a problem with poison Ivy until the last few years. It just seems to jump on me nowadays. I found a product that stops Poison Ivy in it's tracks (post exposure). The brand name is Tecnu, you can find it at the drug store.
Remoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-13, 04:48 PM   #27
Trouty Mouth
Native

We shooting these Chiggers now???
Trouty Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-13, 07:54 AM   #28
Counslrman
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counslrman View Post
Back when I used to bird hunt a lot in S. GA. during the '50's, my grandpaw would always rub up with camphor oil before he put on his socks, then dust his pants legs and cuffs with sulphur powder and talc. He never had any problems with chiggers and we shot plenty of quail and dove.

Jimmy
...posted last July...

Jimmy
Counslrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-13, 06:56 PM   #29
Pappy
Native

Bein a barefoot boy in Dekalb County when Hwy 155 to McDonough was a dirt road (4 lane now), livin in a house that Sherman kept his horses in durin the War of Northern Agression and runnin thru the woods almost naked most summers, I never did get chiggers till I became more sofisticated and had to grow up. Now I am very alergik to poison and chiggers.
I thought about this a lot while I done a bunch of scratchin one time and remembered that Mama always made us takes baths with "Octagon Soap". I think it is Lye based and not like the stuff most use today. I bought me some. It used to be octagon in shape, but not anymore. I use it now, after I go into the woods and ain't got scratchin problems no more.
Pappy
Pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-13, 04:39 PM   #30
UncleJesse
Native

Stumbled up on this today, I have not idea how good it is, they advertise it as No. 1 with the military: http://www.chiggaway.com/