NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Chattahoochee River
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-18, 08:05 AM   #1
splatek16

Default Hiking, wet wading, and....

a cane pole, a telescopic cane pole that some would call tenkara, bahaha. Just teasing. I rag on tenkara, but only on North Georgia small streams. In the hooch, I've had a good time with it and I've used it to teach Spencer a little bit about drift, rod angles, etc and he doesn't even know he's learning. The best kinda learning, if you ask me. At any rate, I digress. Yesterday I showed up at one of my regular spots on the hooch, downstream of the dam, a little closer to home. I hopped in, the water was cold, even in waders. The fishing was cold, too. Then another angler showed up. We've met on the river so many times we are practically fishing buddies. He got a nice rainbow on second or third cast, to which I asked, "what're they eating?"
"Olive"
Sure enough, after switching to an olive France fly, two browns ended up in my net. Then things slowed, again. He decided to hike upstream; I stuck it out. Got two more browns and decided it was time to get out, get home, and get a workout in. When I got to the trout mobile and took off my waders, I thought what better workout than a jog through the woods. I put my boots back on and took off running. About fifty yards in I thought to myself, you idiot! What if you see a good spot? Jogged back to the truck grabbed me the tenkara rod. I use a cheap (free), 12 foot Chinese brand that has served me well for bream, small bass, and occasional trout. I quickly tied on a what amounted to 14 feet of line-leader, down to about 6x and a dry-dropper rig. One rod, two flies, and a pair of forceps. I began to jog. I crossed one creek after another.

And more litter than I'd expect this far away from the parking lot (all of which came out with me).

I came to an area that looked "bank fishable." I made my way down the tricky embankment thinking to myself getting down is one thing... I ended up on a set of logs that were jammed up on some rocks creating a series of pocket water mini "falls" that reminded me of ***** creek where I'd caught specks last spring.

I unwound my long line-leader, looked around for trees that might doom the experience, and dropped a rather ugly bow and arrow cast right at the head of the pocket. On my second drift, the dry fly slowed then came to a complete stop. My initial thought was that I was hung up on the bottom, because I had purposefully left the tippet long, not knowing what I'd find. However, when I pulled to unsnag my fly there's a little 6" brownie on the end. No net. I wet my hand and quickly release him. Untangle the mess he'd made of my setup, and get back to casting. A few casts later, bam! A real hit, and a real(ish) brown. About ten inches and beautifully colored. He took the nymph. I ended up catching 10 more browns (one even took the dry!) and 1 bow in a very short time.

Shortly after catching what would be the last fish of the day, I realized that I'd been wet wading, nearly knee deep, in blue jeans. Somehow my toes actually felt warmer wet wading than when they were in the waders, earlier in the day.
As I walked out, as often happens, I saw "one more good hole." I unwound my line, went to cast and caught.... A tree branch. It was mother nature's way of saying, "you're done homeboy!"

It was like a small stream experience on the big river and allowed me to explore an area that was new, to me. I likely won't be able to get back on water until next week. In the meantime, I'll be sticking all my Tom Brady voodoo dolls in hopes that this fella can wear a Superbowl championship shirt to school next week!
Go EAGLES!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
splatek16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-18, 08:31 AM   #2
erikclymore
Native

Awesome report. I really like the idea of a tenkara and pocket fly box. There’s still a lot of the hooch that I’ve been meaning to explore, but I’m just not into hiking with a 10’ rod not knowing if I’ll ever actually fish.
Plus, it would look really good with my fidora and hand crafted artisan pipe.
erikclymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-18, 08:49 AM   #3
Dave375
Native

That's a great report!! Way to get outside the box
Dave375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-18, 09:08 AM   #4
Big T
BOD HOF SSQTCH

Awesome post Steve. Looks like a fun day on the river.

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-18, 09:13 AM   #5
gau16
Native

Loved reading that. Pretty sweet to catch that many fish out of a little honey hole you found. Great pic of that brownie too.
Old 01-31-18, 09:28 AM   #6
splatek16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gau16 View Post
Loved reading that. Pretty sweet to catch that many fish out of a little honey hole you found. Great pic of that brownie too.
Thanks y'all. It was a fun day, for sure.

And Thanks GAU - @dredger has been giving me personal training/lessons on how to photograph fish for the last year. On the verge of flunking out of his "photography of fish class" I thought I'd better turn in an assignment. The tenkara rod and no net, makes it a little easier, because you are holding the fish on the line; The fact that I had a nice, shin deep, cold pool right next to me also added.

@Erik - fidora! Good lord, I hope I get to see that sight! Also, Spencer and I are "crafting" a homemade cane pole. We found a large, perfect piece of bamboo and are letting it dry; I am trying to engineer a means for which I can make it telescopic or break-down-able. I'm not that crafty so if you see me out there with a cane pole that is duct taped together in the middle... you get the idea.
Old 01-31-18, 10:53 AM   #7
Dtroutmann
Native

Great report

Trophies are relative
Dtroutmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-18, 12:13 PM   #8
Swimmer
Native

Great read, Steve. My days of actually running, or even hiking very far are sadly behind me. But that doesn't stop me from living vicariously through some great NGTO posts.

I AM still able to get my waders on, and tie my boots...so my favorite rivers are still in reach. Hmmmm....where shall I go tomorrow? IDBIS
Old 01-31-18, 12:57 PM   #9
orey10m
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatek16 View Post
Thanks y'all. It was a fun day, for sure.
Also, Spencer and I are "crafting" a homemade cane pole. We found a large, perfect piece of bamboo and are letting it dry; I am trying to engineer a means for which I can make it telescopic or break-down-able. I'm not that crafty so if you see me out there with a cane pole that is duct taped together in the middle... you get the idea.
Been thinking of doing the same thing for a few..years. I have some dried out pieces of bamboo, haven't taken the time to try and get them to fit together yet. I think it's a cool idea.
Old 01-31-18, 01:21 PM   #10
splatek16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer View Post
Great read, Steve. My days of actually running, or even hiking very far are sadly behind me. But that doesn't stop me from living vicariously through some great NGTO posts.

I AM still able to get my waders on, and tie my boots...so my favorite rivers are still in reach. Hmmmm....where shall I go tomorrow? IDBIS
IDBIS is probably one of the all time best streams!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orey10m View Post
Been thinking of doing the same thing for a few..years. I have some dried out pieces of bamboo, haven't taken the time to try and get them to fit together yet. I think it's a cool idea.
Yeah, honestly, I've not given it much thought, but it could, I am hoping, make a fun father-son project that ends with a deliverable that we can actually use. Spencer grabbed him a shorter one so he could make a "better" one. Real humble...