NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > North Georgia Rivers--Trout Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-18, 10:48 AM   #11
Tuort
Native

I've taken my 2wd Tacoma with popup camper in tow several times, often at night. No problems at all. Just take it slow.
Tuort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-18, 06:02 PM   #12
skibum
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Angel View Post
I drive a Hummer H3 (my wife and I call it a "lower case 'H' "). It works great there, but it sits high and has a tight turning radius. The roads to that campground would lead me to say that I wouldn't want anything smaller to carry me there. The roads are rutted and the switch-backs are brutal. Anything less than a 4WD would be asking for trouble.

Not trying to deter you, but I don't want you trying to get in there without adequate support.

Also - even with a really good SUV (or equivalent) don't even consider trying to tow a trailer in. It's too tight with steep drop offs from both entries.
I want the sticker I see on many Jeeps.

H3 Recovery TEAM.
Old 07-23-18, 06:11 PM   #13
muddy waters
Native

Stocking report says they've been putting fish in Low Gap Creek for the past few weeks so the roads got to be good enough to get a stocking truck at least that far. Worst case you can always walk to Low Gap Creek in about an hour if you follow the trail that runs above the river but that's not my favorite trek as I always see bear tracks rights about in the stretch where the hooch funnels through that steep gorge.
muddy waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-18, 08:47 PM   #14
PHL425
Stocker

I was just up there last week the roads were fine and I passed a few passenger cars heading up and down the mountain. Although i didn't go too far past the check in cabin.
PHL425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-18, 08:56 AM   #15
jkwolek1971
Native

I talked to one of the guys at Unicoi Outfitters in Helen about 2 weeks ago and he stated the campground is open... You might want to pack your gear just in case...
jkwolek1971 is offline   Reply With Quote