NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Other NGTO Forums > Off-topic Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-18, 10:00 AM   #1
splatek16

Default Truck, ISO, MAYBE

So my trout mobile is dying, near dead. Brakes are shot and. Needs a full transmission rebuild. Those repairs cost more than what the truck is worth.

Posting here a few questions:
Anyone know of a decent, good working (i have a kid to think about) trunk for sale. If I buy used I'm not looking to spend a fortune. The other option is the dealer. New trunks for purchase are insane. Someone recommended a lease, which significantly lowers the payment, but sorta feels like a super rental, with nothing to show for at the end of the term. Any thoughts on leasing?

Just tossing or feelers and trying to get ideas. I really like the Tacoma, but realistically if it gets Spencer and me around too football, baseball, and the streams, that could be ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
splatek16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-18, 10:10 AM   #2
3-wt
Native, formerly known as "Streamside Sam"

I'm almost in the same boat, so I'm interested in the responses provided. Hopefully some of the car/truck guys will weigh in. I think one thing of interest is "What is the best value in a 2 to 4 year old truck?". For example, the Tacomas, Tundras do NOT seem to come down in price compared to dang near every other truck/car after a few years. What trucks provide the best value for the $ at 2 to 4 years old? Fords, GM, etc? Also, mid-size vs full-size, extended cab (4 doors vs 2), 2wd vs 4wd are other things to figure out.

I'm definitely in the camp of BUY (not lease), if at all possible, as I keep my vehicles long after they're paid for, but in an emergency a lease may buy you some time, and give you a lower payment for a bit.
Old 06-13-18, 10:11 AM   #3
Swamp Angel
President

First off- STAY AWAY FROM A LEASE! Not only do you have nothing to show for it at the end of the term, you WILL get hammered on extra mileage. Trout fishing will undoubtedly cause you to put more miles on it than are alotted by the contract.

If the current vehicle is paid for, why not go ahead and redo the transmission? (That is - as long as it's otherwise reliable.) A new or rebuilt transmission isn't exactly cheap, but it's a whole lot less expensive than another vehicle.

The Tacoma is a good truck, though. If you find one you like then why not make the investment. I have never owned a Toyota, but I have had a Nissan, a Dodge, and several Chevrolet/GM SUV's. The Nissan and the Dodge were the most reliable and gave me the fewest problems. While I would like to say "Buy American" I can't help but think that our Japanese allies make the superior vehicles these days. Just make sure that it has good visibility through the rear window for backing a trailer and boat. I think you'll be adding a "floating fishing platform" to your inventory before Spencer gets a whole lot bigger.
If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.
Swamp Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-18, 10:57 AM   #4
troutbum69
Native

I bought a 2010 tacoma 4wd when my Trooper had a serious hiccup. It was really expensive for what you get. But I know I can sell it for more than its worth down the road. I was looking at late 2000s 4runners too and they can be had pretty cheap compared to tacomas. When I was shopping you could find a tacoma and 4runner from the same year with the same mileage and the 4runner would be 3-4k cheaper. If youre not looking for 4wd then you have tons of options. I am seeing early 2000s Rangers for next to nothing now. I think they are finally falling victim to the bigger is better trend. But those are 15 years old. But if you go the truck route and plan on a boat you're going to want 4wd. Not just for ramps, I have to have it in 4wd to get my boat back into the downstairs garage. Didn't have that problem with my trooper. Just the lack of weight over the tires on a truck leaves you SOL.

"Stop Whining"
troutbum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-18, 10:59 AM   #5
splatek16

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbum69 View Post
I bought a 2010 tacoma 4wd when my Trooper had a serious hiccup. It was really expensive for what you get. But I know I can sell it for more than its worth down the road. I was looking at late 2000s 4runners too and they can be had pretty cheap compared to tacomas. When I was shopping you could find a tacoma and 4runner from the same year with the same mileage and the 4runner would be 3-4k cheaper. If youre not looking for 4wd then you have tons of options. I am seeing early 2000s Rangers for next to nothing now. I think they are finally falling victim to the bigger is better trend. But those are 15 years old. But if you go the truck route and plan on a boat you're going to want 4wd. Not just for ramps, I have to have it in 4wd to get my boat back into the downstairs garage. Didn't have that problem with my trooper. Just the lack of weight over the tires on a truck leaves you SOL.

Not looking for a real boat, a Jon at most

splatek16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-18, 11:37 AM   #6
trout4life
Native

Send a message via Yahoo to trout4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Angel View Post
First off- STAY AWAY FROM A LEASE! Not only do you have nothing to show for it at the end of the term, you WILL get hammered on extra mileage. Trout fishing will undoubtedly cause you to put more miles on it than are alotted by the contract.

If the current vehicle is paid for, why not go ahead and redo the transmission? (That is - as long as it's otherwise reliable.) A new or rebuilt transmission isn't exactly cheap, but it's a whole lot less expensive than another vehicle.

The Tacoma is a good truck, though. If you find one you like then why not make the investment. I have never owned a Toyota, but I have had a Nissan, a Dodge, and several Chevrolet/GM SUV's. The Nissan and the Dodge were the most reliable and gave me the fewest problems. While I would like to say "Buy American" I can't help but think that our Japanese allies make the superior vehicles these days. Just make sure that it has good visibility through the rear window for backing a trailer and boat. I think you'll be adding a "floating fishing platform" to your inventory before Spencer gets a whole lot bigger.
Also, from what I understand if you buy the car at the end of the lease you will get hit with the new ad valorem tax. The buyer also gets part of the tax bill when leasing due to financing.
trout4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-18, 12:08 PM   #7
JerryG
Native

I vote grey tacoma, the official ride of trout guys everywhere.
JerryG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-18, 12:29 PM   #8
fishnpreacher
Board of Directors Chaplain, Hall of Fame

Swamp Angel knows of what he speaks. Used trucks are ridiculous in price. 2-3 year old cost as much as new. To get what you are looking for, you are probably looking at something with 100,000 miles or more, which is not necessarily bad but buyer beware. I would stay full or mid size. Smaller may be better on gas mileage, but towing and comfort win out in my book. 4WD is nice, but not necessary. Keep your eyes open and be ready to buy when you find a good deal. Sellers won’t wait. Good deals won’t be around long.

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!

"Perhaps you need a visit there yerself. Snidess doth not fall on deaf ears. ...just sayin" GoutUnlimited
fishnpreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-18, 12:41 PM   #9
troutbum69
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryG View Post
I vote grey tacoma, the official ride of trout guys everywhere.

Me: I need the most trout brah flat bill car possible

Dealer: Say no more Fam

"Stop Whining"
troutbum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-18, 12:54 PM   #10
FitFisher
Native

Mine is for sale
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0547.jpg (102.8 KB, 40 views)