NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Gear Talk > Watercraft
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-15, 06:56 AM   #1
everglades355
Stocker

Default Boat investment! Is a flycraft reasonable?

I am a teenager and I plan on purchasing a boat after i get a job this summer. The flycraft (http://www.flycraftusa.com/) boat has been exploding on the internet and it looks cool but I want somebody knowledge for deciding on the perfect boat for the hooch. I would love to keep the price below 4000. Half the battle is finding a boat. Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks, Ethan
everglades355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-15, 08:35 AM   #2
SouthernAccent
Native

Hey Ethan... send a PM to Sqain and ask him about it. He just picked up one and seems to love it so far and would be a great one to discuss with. Looks like I may consider buying one as well!
SouthernAccent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-15, 08:55 AM   #3
Swamp Angel
President

That would be a good boat for the 'Hooch in that it could stand up to hitting a few rocks and stumps without taking too much damage. Not certain about how you'd want to power it though.

Pretty much everyone who knows me knows that I love the Gheenoe that I have and I love it for the river. For $2500, my wife and I were able to get a 15'-10" fiberglass boat with trailer and trolling motor. For another $1000 we picked up a 25HP motor with remote steering. (That means we could use a steering wheel and not a tiller attached directly to the motor to drive the boat.) So, for $3500, we were set up really nice for the 'Hooch.

Prior to our current boat, we had been running a 15'-4" Gheenoe High Sider (it resembled a canoe but was much more stable) with an 8HP motor that scooted us along at a nice 19MPH on smooth water. Again, it was of fiberglass construction, and it ran us $900 for boat, motor, and trailer (used).

Both these boats were perfect for us on the 'Hooch, and the smaller one provided us with lots of enjoyment in the Okefenokee Swamp. River Hawk makes boats based upon the same basic design and they are quite nice on the 'Hooch as well. (Just ask Da Da's Fishing about his boat.)

Smaller aluminum hull boats with 6 to 9.9HP motors can also be had for a very reasonable price and their aluminum hulls are able to take a little more beating than the fiberglass hulls should you unexpectedly encounter a rock or tree hidden only a few inches beneath the surface of the water.

I used to check out the Gheenoes for Sale thread on customgheenoe.com, but have noticed that the prices have gone from a very affordable $800 to $3000 for various models, to a rather expensive $4500 to $13,500 for the boats offered by owners seeking to upgrade to the next model. So I would recommend that if you search for a used Gheenoe or River Hawk in your price range that you do so via craigslist.

Just keep your eyes and your options open. You never know what blessing may just come along at an opportune time.

Good luck in your search for the right boat, and when you score it and you are ready to go out and get a feel for the river, shoot me a PM and I'll be glad to walk you through some of the safer sections that provide an enjoyable day of fishing.

Tight lines!
If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.
Swamp Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-16, 10:17 AM   #4
SouthernAccent
Native

Ethan... If you end up finding out more about them I would be interested in hearing it as well. Pretty sure I am going to order one this spring. After watching videos of them in action it's hard to resist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SouthernAccent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-16, 03:52 AM   #5
ocerg
Native

If you decide to get an aluminium jon boat I would suggest getting one at least 48 inches wide (on the bottom). This width will provide you and your friends with plenty of stability to walk around on the boat.
ocerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-16, 06:50 AM   #6
wspanic
Native

I've been eyeing one of these too OP. Keep us updated if you pick one up
wspanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-16, 01:25 PM   #7
Bfish
Native

Default price

If you're handy, you can buy the raft (Saturn light river raft at boatstogo.com) separate and build your own frame. Total cost should be well under half of what Flycraft is asking.

Myself, I would have to modify anyway, as I can't handle sitting with my seat that low to the floor (ie knees in the chest).
Bfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-16, 02:19 PM   #8
Jimmy Harris
Hall of Fame Member, NGTO Sponsor

Jake Darling and I purchased a Buck's Bags Head Hunter Pontoon last year and really like it. He's done a ton of shoal bass trips in it. It's perfect for rocky, shoalie waters. The price is reasonable and you can handle it easily enough to fish solo from it. We'll be glad to get you the details on ordering one for you. Made in the USA.
Jimmy Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-16, 03:07 PM   #9
Remoh
Hall of Fame Member, Official Ambassador to the State of Alabama, Iron Skillet Award Recipient, and cruiser of the western Caribbean

all great advice. My 2 Pesos. Listen to the guys on the thread. No boat can do everything. Had boats from 6 ft to 30 ft. looking at a 50 ft now. No boat does everything.
Remoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-16, 04:06 PM   #10
daviddrummond79
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by everglades355 View Post
I am a teenager and I plan on purchasing a boat after i get a job this summer. The flycraft (http://www.flycraftusa.com/) boat has been exploding on the internet and it looks cool but I want somebody knowledge for deciding on the perfect boat for the hooch. I would love to keep the price below 4000. Half the battle is finding a boat. Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks, Ethan
This is the first time I have seen this boat in particular and holy crap that thing is awesome! My only reluctance with anything that blows up is concerns of a puncture on the water as everything you have in the boat could potentially end up on the bottom of the river but I guess the same can be said for any boat unless it is naturally buoyant. My other concern is longevity; I'm not sure what the life expectancy is on their pontoon material. I am seriously thinking of buying one now... thanks for costing me money If you buy one and need somebody to be your oar man I would be down just for the chance to try it out.