NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Beyond Georgia
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-17, 10:12 AM   #1
Raven15
Native

Default Cherokee - Ravens Fork Trophy Section Report!

Hey Guys! As most of you probably know the trophy section in Cherokee received a MASSIVE stocking of fish for the USA Regional Tournament held the last weekend in February (yes, the same tournament the RScott won the gold medal in the over 50 division ).
The trophy section was stocked with roughly 4,000 - 5,000 pounds of fish..and we put in some absolute TOADS! We've seen clients landing fish in the 22-25 inch range.

Give us a call at the shop or stop by and see us for more info! Feel free to shoot me a message on here as well. Tight lines!
828-497-9300
https://www.wncfishing.com/
Raven15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-17, 04:47 PM   #2
2fly
Ex-BOD, Hall Of Fame Member, Ex-Angler

I can attest to the fishing! Pretty good.
2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-17, 09:31 PM   #3
halh68
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fly View Post
I can attest to the fishing! Pretty good.
I'll agree. Lots of nice fish landed today and several very nice ones that claimed flies. I'm not sure they are going to act tomorrow with the changing weather (snow by Sunday) but I'm going to try to sneak an hour or two in between the rain.
Old 03-09-17, 11:52 PM   #4
retiredmp
Good Idea Fairy Hunter

Looking forward to fishing with you Joey on Saturday.

"Not every Soldier is a Joe"

You can support the NGTO Mission Statement and Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes. Buy a TU License Plate!
retiredmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-17, 07:33 PM   #5
Raven15
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by halh68 View Post
.. and several very nice ones that claimed flies..
haha, i've never heard it put that way. i'm going to start using that!
828-497-9300
Old 03-10-17, 07:34 PM   #6
Raven15
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredmp View Post
Looking forward to fishing with you Joey on Saturday.
yes ma'am! looking forward to it. i'll see you in the morning!
828-497-9300
Old 03-10-17, 07:45 PM   #7
Drifter
Former Director, HOF

Joey....I heard you busted some poachers last week. Nice job!

The contents of this message might be totally inaccurate, misguided or otherwise perverse. If you are stupid enough to follow any of the tips listed here and mess up yourself or your equipment, I am absolved of all responsibility. The information contained herein is based on my personal experience and by no means constitutes the correct way to do it. Your mileage may vary.

Follow me on Instagram
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-17, 04:49 PM   #8
retiredmp
Good Idea Fairy Hunter

T and I had a great trip with our guide Brandon Ashe, of Rivers Edge Outfitters. We were met by Joey this morning in the shop, while we purchased our permits to head out to Ravens Fork.

T started right out of the gate catching one rainbow after another. I was down 5 fish, but managed to make up for it when I got the fish dialed in - deep today.

I put poor Brandon through all of the novice mistakes today. I lost more flies today, then all of the other combined fishing trips since Jan 1, 2017.

T and I were feeling like royalty when Joey and his wife and their dog showed up to root us on. I had just lost an ugly rainbow of decent size 20". I called it ugly because it had several battle scars and healing wounds (white spots). We are guessing that he survived an otter attack.

While Joey was watching and cheering us on, I got into another nice rainbow. I find out then, my camera battery was dead. A couple of minutes later and another nice fish was on. Fishing a 3wt with 6X tippet, you have to have skill with playing and eventually landing a nice fish. I connected with another good fish, who went like a freight train down river and broke me off.
Then Moby Dick shows up and WHAM - saw him roll near service and once again I was broken off. One of the biggest trout I have seen this year. It was a monster; I know where he lives, and will be seeking redemption.
A few minutes later, another nice fish was hooked, and within nanoseconds he spit the hook.

We then moved to another section of water, and no matter what we did on presentations, methods couldn't get a fish to eat. I slapped one on his back. Saw several following the fly and just wouldn't eat.

We decided that with the bite shutting down and our 1/2 day trip with a few remaining minutes, to call it a great day on the water.

So, being just like my Dad, I can fall over things that weren't even there - just clumsiness. Less than 2 feet from the shore, a step with my right leg and my knee just gave out on me. I went down in the water. Brandon was great being there to get me up and on the shore.

I will do another post with some pictures that others took today. I don't have a picture of the 6" wild rainbow. People were telling me to post pictures of smaller fish. Inoperable camera - dead battery.

It was great time on the water. I'm glad to have been able to bring some business to one of NGTO's Supporters, Joey Walraven, at River's Edge Outfitters. I hope some other NGTO members will consider using REO for their next trip to fish Raven's Fork.

"Not every Soldier is a Joe"

You can support the NGTO Mission Statement and Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes. Buy a TU License Plate!
retiredmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-17, 06:23 PM   #9
Raven15
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
Joey....I heard you busted some poachers last week. Nice job!
Yessir! My wife is the real hero cause she wouldn't let me get out the car and kill them lol. Called the law. They showed up in about 10 minutes. I listened in on the conversation. Grand total on the tickets was some where in the neighborhood of $2,000.00 ---
828-497-9300
Old 03-11-17, 07:08 PM   #10
zug buggin
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven15 View Post
Yessir! My wife is the real hero cause she wouldn't let me get out the car and kill them lol. Called the law. They showed up in about 10 minutes. I listened in on the conversation. Grand total on the tickets was some where in the neighborhood of $2,000.00 ---
AWESOME

The fisherman now is one who defies society, who rips lips, who drains the pool, who takes no prisoners, who is not to be confused with the sissy with the creel and bamboo rod. Granted, he releases what he catches, but in some cases, he strips the quarry of its perilous soul before tossing it back in the water. What was once a trout – cold, hard, spotted and beautiful – becomes “number seven.”
Tom McGuane
zug buggin is offline   Reply With Quote