NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Beyond Georgia
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-17, 02:45 PM   #1
fishtacos
Native

Default GSMNP Kids Camping

Any suggestions for a decent campground with decent seclusion in GSMNP that might be decent to take kids to?
fishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-17, 05:24 PM   #2
splatek16

I'd be interested in the answers to this as well.
My boy had his first overnight in a tent and seemed to like it, albeit in the yard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
splatek16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-17, 08:46 PM   #3
Trout "R"
NGTO Hall of Fame

If you want stay in a campground yet close to good fishing IMO Elkmont or Cades Cove is the place to be.
You have a lot of options from these two camp grounds. You have the choice from there to fish small, medium or somewhat large water. And from these campgrounds you can catch a slam within 30 minutes of driving.
Old 04-10-17, 09:32 PM   #4
Brotherbear
Native

Elkmont is it . All sorts of cool stuff in every direction. Campground store with Ice cream as I recall.Also check Treymont.
Old 04-11-17, 11:26 AM   #5
iso1600
Native

I haven't been to any of the TN side campgrounds, only Smokemont and Deep Creek. I liked Smokemont and my boy did too.
Old 04-11-17, 12:22 PM   #6
JOHNKIES
Hall of Fame Member

Default Seclusion & Campground Store

Had to laugh as very unlikely you will find those two together. For GSMNP you may want to look on the east side the Park, the Cataloochee Area if you really want that secluded feeling.
JOHNKIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-17, 12:52 PM   #7
ChaChung
Native

I camped at Cosby a couple of times. Pretty quiet and almost never gets full. It was before I picked up fishing so never fished the area but I know there are streams near by.

Some days I'm the hook and some days I'm the fish.

Instagram @charles_the_toothsmith
ChaChung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-17, 01:10 PM   #8
iso1600
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNKIES View Post
Had to laugh as very unlikely you will find those two together. For GSMNP you may want to look on the east side the Park, the Cataloochee Area if you really want that secluded feeling.
I didn't know that any of the campgrounds had a store until this thread.
I would agree that if you want seclusion, you probably aren't finding it in one of the drive up campsites. Backcountry is the way to go there.

HOWEVER- The frontcountry sites are well maintained and have all the resources a person really needs. I like that they DON'T have playgrounds in GSMNP, unlike most state parks, forcing our little ones to play in the great outdoors instead of on some lame swingset.
Old 04-11-17, 10:13 PM   #9
jgraham140
Native

If you want seclusion (and elk) try Cataloochee Cove. Alternatively, Deep Creek and Smokemont Campgrounds are nice too, and closer to civilization. Deep Creek is very close to Bryson City if you need to stock up on supplies. Smokemont is just off the main highway going over the mountains. Fishing is great in all three areas. Deep Creek has wild and stocked fish near the campground. The Oconaluftee River and Bradley Fork are accessible from Smokemont; all wild browns and rainbows. Cataloochee Creek presents the opportunity for a GSMNP Grand Slam: wild specs, browns, rainbows.

John
jgraham140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-17, 09:30 AM   #10
Raven15
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraham140 View Post
If you want seclusion (and elk) try Cataloochee Cove. Alternatively, Deep Creek and Smokemont Campgrounds are nice too, and closer to civilization. Deep Creek is very close to Bryson City if you need to stock up on supplies. Smokemont is just off the main highway going over the mountains. Fishing is great in all three areas. Deep Creek has wild and stocked fish near the campground. The Oconaluftee River and Bradley Fork are accessible from Smokemont; all wild browns and rainbows. Cataloochee Creek presents the opportunity for a GSMNP Grand Slam: wild specs, browns, rainbows.

John
this pretty much nailed it. tons of options really. depends on if you're more interested in seclusion, easy access, etc..
also, we are carrying hiking/camping supplies at Rivers Edge Outfitters now.
give us a call or come by the shop.
828-497-9300
https://www.wncfishing.com/
Raven15 is offline   Reply With Quote