NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > N. Georgia Small Streams--Trout Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-18, 07:38 AM   #1
splatek16

Default Little fish, big fun

After the fling, with all day releases scheduled for Saturday and Sunday, I decided to hit the hood pond. When my family was here my girl spotted and hooked into a fish that was yuge. A big old male LMB. She hunted that thing for about three hours. Finally when she'd let me help, I told her to put on a blue sparkle craw fish bounce it over to him and leave it there, maybe moving it ever so slightly. The first time she did that she watched on the edge of the bank (nearly falling in the pond) as the big fella left his lady's side (i imagine) appeared to just touch it with his nose and back up. I softly shouted "he's eaten the lure! Tighten the line." As soon as the line went taught we heard the unmistakable sound of the drag peeling away. Sounded like a few dudes on crotch rockets rescuing thru the hood. She asks, "what do I do" and when I tell her to tighten the drag she looks at me as if I spoke to her in Mandarin. She started to reel and I tightened her drag (dang that sounded way more perverted writing it than in my head). This was her second time fishing; her first, incidentally, was when she outfished me on a guided trip to the tuck DH, the trip that got me started chasing trouts on the fly. We had no beer and right as I was about to grab the beast he darted and beyond off. Brooke off. 14# braid. It wasn't the not, the line was furled, torn. He probably hit some rocks. She was crushed.... So I was going back to hunt what she now refers to as her 'side piece.' Upon my arrival I see a few more anglers and not wanting to reveal these big guys, because they've been taken and eaten in the past, I decided that I'd chase bream with the local hood rats. There were three kids and a dad and they were doing pretty good on worms (real and small fake ones) and hot dog buns. The dad told me they had caught about twenty in two to three hours. They sure were aggressive. I got a fish on each of my first fifteen casts with a little tenkara rod and fly about sixteen to twenty feet right off the bank. The kids were of course interested in what I was using for bait and when I showed them they didn't get it. "Looks like a empty hook with thread".... Exactly. Lol
So I gave a quick lesson to a fourth grader and a sixth grader and they soon were catching bream one after the other. Big(ish) and small, didn't matter they were smiling ear to ear.

The day's trophy

I'll be back for my girls side piece before long.... Unless she gets to him first. Started taking about how she might want to keep a rod in the car because she drives by the hood pond in the way home from work.... Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
splatek16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-18, 07:52 AM   #2
Big T
BOD HOF SSQTCH

I see that rod is still on probation, plastic still on the grip. I leave it on until the rod proves its worth then take it off probation. It encourages the rod to have immediate fishing mojo.

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-18, 07:56 AM   #3
splatek16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big T View Post
I see that rod is still on probation, plastic still on the grip. I leave it on until the rod proves its worth then take it off probation. It encourages the rod to have immediate fishing mojo.

Exactly. You taught me that one day on the river. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
splatek16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-18, 09:28 AM   #4
jonmo
Native

Looks like another beautiful day in the neighborhood..Thanks for sharing..

Doc
jonmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-18, 10:26 AM   #5
Lumis
Native

Sounds like you got a really nice pond nearby. Good stuff.
Lumis is offline   Reply With Quote