NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > N. Georgia Small Streams--Trout Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-18, 06:59 PM   #1
splatek16

Default Had to go high, like the water

Against the advice of @dredger I decided to hit a small stream today. As is typical, @dreger was correct and the stream were completely blown out. A small stream looked like the hooch at release! So I hiked. And I hiked, and I hiked some more. Three was no trail, so I made one, I heard some water

... So I decided to follow it up"stream" and it opened up, a little. Lots of a great plunge pools and long runs.

Right as I was about to flick my first bow and arrow cast a male pilliated woodpecker nearly took off my head. First cast

Pretty little bow. Pulled about six more outta that first run.

I witnessed two hawks fighting over something. Tearing pieces of it and flying up to the trees to eat, then back down to a puff of fur. Must've watched that for half hour. #Predators

I also spotted a gorgeous yellow finch.
Then I decided to hike in some more, it wasn't that bad and I had some time.
I heard something in the distance. It was a black bear. Looked like he was rubbing up against a tree, then the tree came crashing down across the creek. I don't think he meant to do it (do bears push over trees, I seriously don't know), but he scurried away in the opposite direction, so I felt ok to move on-the-record so I did.

Eventually I got into a bunch of these little critters

Don't think you can see it here, but he took my nymph hung under a black Stimi, which got about half dozen others.

On the way out I hit a few pools that were blown out on the way in and got a bunch more of these

As o was about to leave I noticed part of the road was washed out, when I kicked the old trout mobile into reverse and looked up to look into the rear view mirror, I saw two more bears scurrying, one big, one smaller, across the field. Tried to grab my camera, but spilled coffee all over myself instead.

Got home to an opened, poured beer (best GF EVER!) and made a DIY paracord flyfishing lanyard for shzzz and giggles.

Tight lines y'all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
splatek16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-18, 07:36 PM   #2
iso1600
Native

hahahahhahhaa crazy report, Dr Doolittle!

Man sounds like a fantastic day! Glad the new rod is earning its keep.
Old 04-24-18, 08:09 PM   #3
Dave375
Native

Great report.
Did you not take the Eagle Claw? One bear throwing trees in the river at you and 2 more chasing your car? Sounds like they're not scared of the tenkara
Dave375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-18, 10:08 PM   #4
mudrun
Native

Great post! That's a lot of bears - I always make it a point when bluelining to scour the topo map to see if there are natural features around where I'm headed named after hogs or bears. I appreciate the generations of Georgians prior who were thoughtful about naming important things this way.

I've seen bears rub up against trees, and I was always told it was to sign or mark territory. Also seen them annihilate fallen logs looking for bees' nests.

This seems like something Killer Kyle would know...
mudrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-18, 08:49 AM   #5
3-wt
Native, formerly known as "Streamside Sam"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave375 View Post
Great report.
Did you not take the Eagle Claw? One bear throwing trees in the river at you and 2 more chasing your car? Sounds like they're not scared of the tenkara
Agree. The Tenkara is putting up some big fish #'s, but consider the rugged Claw for some of these backcountry trips. Bears, hawks, brooks... man, you really need a camera rolling at all times for your backcountry trips . Nice fish and good job surviving those tough conditions.
Old 04-25-18, 09:33 AM   #6
ChaChung
Native

Very nice. I'm glad you got into some fish even with the water blown out.

Nice DIY lanyard!

Some days I'm the hook and some days I'm the fish.

Instagram @charles_the_toothsmith
ChaChung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-18, 11:19 PM   #7
Killer Kyle
Native

Bears do push over trees on purpose. All male bears do. They push over pine saplings or bite and snap them off to mark their defended territory. They also are biting, clawing, and rubbing their backs on trees now to communicate with other bears. I call those trees scent post trees. The mating season is approaching, and this is how they communicate. They usually hit the same scent post trees every year. The biting and clawing girdles the tree, and kills it over time. If the tree that fell across the creek was dead, it was likely a scent post tree that has been killed over the many years of it belonged clawed. That's a neat experience. Glad you got to enjoy it!
Killer Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-18, 06:04 AM   #8
Big T
BOD HOF SSQTCH

Squatch behavior as well

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-18, 07:08 AM   #9
splatek16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Kyle View Post
Bears do push over trees on purpose. All male bears do. They push over pine saplings or bite and snap them off to mark their defended territory. They also are biting, clawing, and rubbing their backs on trees now to communicate with other bears. I call those trees scent post trees. The mating season is approaching, and this is how they communicate. They usually hit the same scent post trees every year. The biting and clawing girdles the tree, and kills it over time. If the tree that fell across the creek was dead, it was likely a scent post tree that has been killed over the many years of it belonged clawed. That's a neat experience. Glad you got to enjoy it!

Oh that's cool. I thought so and did a little research afterward to confirm. I feel really fortunate to have had such a nice with a lot of wildlife sighting
Thanks Kyle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
splatek16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-18, 09:03 AM   #10
Counslrman
Hall of Fame Member

..we had a bear walk through camp at the West Fork Chattooga 10 or so years ago...just ambled through while we froze in place...

...great outing, Steve...looks like you have good Karma,my friend...!

Blessings!

Jimmy
Counslrman is offline   Reply With Quote