NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Salt Water Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-12, 11:03 PM   #1
JP Flyslinger
Native

Default Need Some Help - Bahamas

Wanted to take my dad down to do some Bonefishing. He's 75 and still gets along great - but it won't be that way forever. He has never been to the Bahamas and has never been Bonefishing so that is the plan.

I've been down to Long Island, but was looking for advice on other good locations. We only have a few days, so flight logistics are a consideration, but I am open to any experiences you are willing to share. We can rough it but also dont mind upscale digs. Fishing quality / experience is the main thing I am looking for.

Thanks in advance for any help!

JP
JP Flyslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-12, 11:07 PM   #2
Kelboski
Native

Look into Hope Town in the Abaco Islands. "Bonefish Dundee" is a guide who can take you close by to the Marls, which is a top bonefish fishery. His first name is "Maitland."

Kelbo
Kelboski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-12, 06:46 AM   #3
henryc
Hall of Fame Member

If you want to fish 2-3 days then it is hard to beat GBI (Freeport). You fly in direct from Atlanta in less than 2 hrs and boom.....you are there! SHort 30-40 minute car ride and you are at a lodge. Call Yellow Dog for help on that one and you can mention my name to anyone there. OR...if you have more time to fish we are taking folks to Los Roques, VZ on April 29th-May 5th for 5 days of fishing. Los ROques is probably one of the 2 or 3 BEST bonefishing place on the planet. mPlenty of wading or you can fish out of the boat. It has been called the Christmas Island (CI) of the east and the fish are bigger then CI. Also lots of tarpon and huge cuda if that is your gig....we have plenty of folks going but can still take 6 more anglers if that is of interest to you. Will be at the Great Southern FIshing Show this weekend @ the North Atlanta Trade Ctr w/Yellow Dog brochures if you care to discuss further.

Henry
henryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-12, 10:47 AM   #4
OldDawg
Native

Default GBI

I have fished with Perry Demeritt on Grand Bahama Island twice and recommend Perry. He will pick you up at your hotel.

The second trip I stayed at the Ocean Pearl Resort. The OP is a local motor court style motel on the beach. The motel restaurant is the only dining option. They will pick you up at the Freeport airport. You do not need a rental car.

Perry will work hard to put you on fish and is excellent company. His wife makes the lunch. Lunch was a delicious fish salad sandwich.

Advantages are easy flight from Atlanta and lodging cost.

Perry has raised his prices. I think he is $450/day now.

Be prepared for the wind.
OldDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-12, 12:21 PM   #5
THE EG
CFO, HoF Member, Director

Thumbs up

Google Andros Island and bonefishing. Although the largest of the Bahama Islands, Andros is still isolated and rustic.
Old 01-19-12, 01:46 PM   #6
kevin m
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDawg View Post
Be prepared for the wind.
Amen to that. We were there for the week of Thanksgiving and I don't think the wind ever dipped below 10mph. If you want to try the do it yourself route I have Jimmy Jacobs dvd you could borrow to plan it out. That was how we did it and had a great time but your dad might have a lot easier time in a boat.
kevin m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-12, 10:04 PM   #7
Trouty Mouth
Native

Roger what Henry C said about Grand Bahama - very easy to get to and amenities of Freeport available after fishing. Several organizations (Frontiers, etc.) serve that area and can fix you up. Mostly boat fishing and it is still the place where I have seen the most and biggest bonefish of anywhere I have ever been! Its in the "Northern" Bahamas, so best time to go is April on...
Trouty Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-12, 09:41 AM   #8
driftwood
Native

I agree with Andros. i went out in Nassau last october and caught some but the guide was horrible. His name is "Bonefish Simon" stay away from him! He had poor rusted equipment and his home made flies were even worst! Yes he got us on the fish, but that was about it. He also refused to pole us to them. He would crank up the engine and try that way which would typically push them further away.

BTW be prepared for 100 +foot casts!
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-12, 05:28 PM   #9
JP Flyslinger
Native

Default Thanks!

Outstanding, candid advice as always.

What a great board!

Leaning toward GBI or Andros at this point. Great suggestion on the Southern Fishing Show this weekend. Think I will visit there and Fish Hawk then make a call.

Will keep you guys up to date and of course post some pics when the time comes!

JP
JP Flyslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-12, 06:07 PM   #10
Kelboski
Native

http://www.wildpigeoncharters.com/

Kelbo
Kelboski is offline   Reply With Quote