NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Chattahoochee River
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-18, 05:59 PM   #1
sbarker
Stocker

Default Float Monday 2/19 (Need Help)

My buddy and I are wanting to fish the Hooch this coming Monday (2/19). We are both somewhat new to this and have never fished this river before. What would be a good 4-6 hour float that we should do? We both have kayaks and waders (and rain gear). Also what do the fish seem to be biting this time of year? I know we have to have a PFD, no barbs, and can only fish one rod..... however is there any issues with bringing another one in the yak in its case on the off chance one breaks in the middle of the trip? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
sbarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-18, 06:54 PM   #2
I_got_skunked
Native

No barbs?

Warning: all posts should be assumed to contain sarcasm and misinformation unless stated otherwise. The opinions shared are not necessarily those of the poster.
I_got_skunked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-18, 07:09 PM   #3
sbarker
Stocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_got_skunked View Post
No barbs?
I thought the hooks had to be barbless.... is that not correct?
Old 02-16-18, 07:10 PM   #4
Jakkbauer
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarker View Post
My buddy and I are wanting to fish the Hooch this coming Monday (2/19). We are both somewhat new to this and have never fished this river before. What would be a good 4-6 hour float that we should do? We both have kayaks and waders (and rain gear). Also what do the fish seem to be biting this time of year? I know we have to have a PFD, no barbs, and can only fish one rod..... however is there any issues with bringing another one in the yak in its case on the off chance one breaks in the middle of the trip? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
You can put in at the dam and take out at Settles bridge. You can have barbs. You can take as many rods as you want. Wear your pfd until you get below hwy 20, and honestly just keep it on the whole time since you are new to the water. What kind of fishing do you do so we can reccomend what to tie on? Don’t wear waders on a kayak in a river. Wear a bib.

CHECK THE RELEASE SCHEDULE BEFORE YOU GO

Best of luck.
Jakkbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-18, 07:10 PM   #5
Lumis
Native

Barbless is not a requirement as far as i know.
Lumis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-18, 07:24 PM   #6
sbarker
Stocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakkbauer View Post
You can put in at the dam and take out at Settles bridge. You can have barbs. You can take as many rods as you want. Wear your pfd until you get below hwy 20, and honestly just keep it on the whole time since you are new to the water. What kind of fishing do you do so we can reccomend what to tie on? Donít wear waders on a kayak in a river. Wear a bib.

CHECK THE RELEASE SCHEDULE BEFORE YOU GO

Best of luck.
Thanks! Normally we usually fish small lakes however we have also fished up in North GA/ Tennessee on small rivers for trout. I have one sit on top and one sit in kayak so the bib would not work for one. We planned on mainly using the kayaks to get to places, anchor and fish the river.... bad idea?
Old 02-16-18, 07:44 PM   #7
Jakkbauer
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarker View Post
Thanks! Normally we usually fish small lakes however we have also fished up in North GA/ Tennessee on small rivers for trout. I have one sit on top and one sit in kayak so the bib would not work for one. We planned on mainly using the kayaks to get to places, anchor and fish the river.... bad idea?
You should be ok just be safe, I personally hate wearing waders in my yak unless on a small lake. Keep your knife close.

As for the wading and fishing in spots reachable by yak, that is an excellent plan. Don't anchor up in moving water and fish like that but get out and lash your yak to you or pull it up somewhere.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Jakkbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-18, 03:52 PM   #8
sbarker
Stocker

Thanks everyone for the help! What type of flies should we be using this time of year?
Old 02-17-18, 04:00 PM   #9
Sighter
NGTO Instagram Controller

The type of flies really don't matter as much as the presentation in any season to be honest! During this time make sure you're getting your flies down with heavy tungsten bead heads or split shot.
Sighter is offline   Reply With Quote