NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > N. Georgia Small Streams--Trout Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-18, 12:02 PM   #1
FMJHP
Stocker

Default Native Trout

Finally it happened, we caught a brook trout. After many visits to the main creek, I had an urge to try some of the smaller tributaries. My friend and I have always had dreams of one day overcoming one of the biggest milestones in our trout fishing career. We had thought we were getting close with one of the creeks because it had a massive "barrier fall", however we had found one of our new favorite spots to catch beautiful wild browns and bows. We had a lot of fun with this new spot of ours, but we knew we were well into the native's territory. I had to find one. We decided we need to go further upstream. Sadly our adventure ended abruptly because the laurel grew too thick and no trail was nearby.

https://imgur.com/dXhmXCy
https://imgur.com/IhKWmkD

Thick forest growth didn't stop us there, but it drained us so we had to try again on the next trip. The next outing we skipped the main creek and headed straight to where we caught the wild rainbows and browns. We searched around for a possible path through the thicket, but found nothing.
Then I had the idea to try a different tail and possibly a new creek. Then we came across a very important clue. There was a sign in the middle of the woods near the creek that talked about the restoration efforts for the natives. We read it and then came up with a plan for what we do if we actually catch the elusive fish. After a long day of exploring, getting hung up in laurel and many swallowed bugs, my friend caught one. I was so glad to finally see one in person. It was all worth it, even though I personally caught nothing that day.

https://imgur.com/i5kK920

What I want people to get out of this post is that If you put in the effort long enough and keep exploring, you will find one of these magnificent fish. I didn't post this to brag, I posted it for the people who are just like me before I knew about this spot. I would find hope when I saw other people post about catching brook trout. I was (and still am) always on google maps and scouring through old forums trying to find any information on fishing and spots in general. Some people can probably relate to doing the same thing. Its weird once you get hooked on fishing. Always trying to find a new spot, a new fish, a new favorite memory.

I have come to find out how well this community guards the secrets of this fish. Its not because they are stingy, they have a good reason. These fish are delicate and cannot sustain themselves if everyone knew where to find them. I'm glad that there are volunteers that will sacrifice their time to help preserve and better the habitat for brook trout and other species.

Last edited by FMJHP; 05-15-18 at 12:17 PM. Reason: tried to fix broken image links, can't seem to figure it out so I uploaded links to the images.
FMJHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-18, 02:20 PM   #2
Lumis
Native

You should host your images somewhere else. Try imgur.com
Lumis is offline   Reply With Quote