NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > N. Georgia Small Streams--Trout Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-18, 04:19 PM   #1
Mazer_Rackham
Native

Default Other than chubs, all we caught was a skunk 5/9/18

So my brother-in-law and I have been hunting specks on a particular stream that I'm not even sure holds them at this point. I bought a new Cabelas CGR 5'9" 3wt so I wouldn't have to drag my 8'6" 5wt through the brush anymore. I have to say, for my first glass rod, first 3wt, and first short rod, this thing is awesome! I love the maneuverability and the action for small streams. We got lucky on the way up to find the gates open off the FS road so we wouldn't have to hike as far to get on the water. I've been wanting to focus more on dry flies instead of nymphs and droppers.

Now, normally when I'm on a stream, I tend to spook some fish somehow. I was surprised that at no point during the day did I see any darting shadows, even later in the day when I was intentionally trying to spook some. We fished holes and runs that I just knew had to have fish but to no avail. I tried orange stimis, royal wulffs, bwos, black caddis, olive caddis, and tan caddis all in 14 or 16. I also tried a 16 copper John both alone and as a dropper. I caught 2 small knotty heads on the stimi and sight fished what I thought was a wild trout with a royal wulff but I pulled it up only to find a decent sized(about 6") orange bellied knotty. I don't know what we were doing wrong but it was definitely something. I told my BIL that I had come to the conclusion that we have no idea what we are doing. It was actually kind of disheartening. Then we came upon these falls that I was sure held fish at the bottom...nothing. I'm going back at some point in the next week or two because I am determined to at least catch some form of trout on this stream....it's become personal now. Sorry for the lack of fish pictures, i just didnt think the knotty heads were worth it. As soon as i figure out this imgur thing ill post the 2 pics i have from this trip, 1 of the stream where we parked and 1 of the falls.
Mazer_Rackham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-18, 04:30 PM   #2
splatek16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazer_Rackham View Post
So my brother-in-law and I have been hunting specks on a particular stream that I'm not even sure holds them at this point. I bought a new Cabelas CGR 5'9" 3wt so I wouldn't have to drag my 8'6" 5wt through the brush anymore. I have to say, for my first glass rod, first 3wt, and first short rod, this thing is awesome! I love the maneuverability and the action for small streams. We got lucky on the way up to find the gates open off the FS road so we wouldn't have to hike as far to get on the water. I've been wanting to focus more on dry flies instead of nymphs and droppers.

Now, normally when I'm on a stream, I tend to spook some fish somehow. I was surprised that at no point during the day did I see any darting shadows, even later in the day when I was intentionally trying to spook some. We fished holes and runs that I just knew had to have fish but to no avail. I tried orange stimis, royal wulffs, bwos, black caddis, olive caddis, and tan caddis all in 14 or 16. I also tried a 16 copper John both alone and as a dropper. I caught 2 small knotty heads on the stimi and sight fished what I thought was a wild trout with a royal wulff but I pulled it up only to find a decent sized(about 6") orange bellied knotty. I don't know what we were doing wrong but it was definitely something. I told my BIL that I had come to the conclusion that we have no idea what we are doing. It was actually kind of disheartening. Then we came upon these falls that I was sure held fish at the bottom...nothing. I'm going back at some point in the next week or two because I am determined to at least catch some form of trout on this stream....it's become personal now. Sorry for the lack of fish pictures, i just didnt think the knotty heads were worth it. As soon as i figure out this imgur thing ill post the 2 pics i have from this trip, 1 of the stream where we parked and 1 of the falls.

Dang man. You'll get them next time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
splatek16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-18, 04:33 PM   #3
Mazer_Rackham
Native

Ok, files are too large, even through imgur. I give up on posting them
Old 05-13-18, 04:50 PM   #4
natureman
Native

Quote:
Ok, files are too large, even through imgur. I give up on posting them

Try flickr.com . You can then share on ngto at the photo size that displays best.

Last edited by natureman; 05-14-18 at 09:34 AM.
natureman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-18, 07:29 PM   #5
splatek16

Try tapatalk app.
splatek16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-18, 09:19 AM   #6
mudrun
Native

Quote:
I don't know what we were doing wrong but it was definitely something. I told my BIL that I had come to the conclusion that we have no idea what we are doing. It was actually kind of disheartening. Then we came upon these falls that I was sure held fish at the bottom...nothing. I'm going back at some point in the next week or two because I am determined to at least catch some form of trout on this stream....it's become personal now. Sorry for the lack of fish pictures, i just didnt think the knotty heads were worth it. As soon as i figure out this imgur thing ill post the 2 pics i have from this trip, 1 of the stream where we parked and 1 of the falls.
Remember this day when you land your first speck, as this experience will make the catch so very much sweeter. I have spent plenty of days like this (and in fact, I still spend days like this) and it is that much more joyous when you finally get it all right.

And it may not have been you - it's been hot and dry the past ~10 days or so, a bad combo for our slippery cold-water friends. After today, we're forecast for 2 - 4in of rain between now and Sun, with lots of clouds suppressing the temps. I'll be out somewhere high-up the weekend after next, looking for some hangry specks. Keep it up!
mudrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-18, 03:43 PM   #7
Mazer_Rackham
Native

Tapatalk worked! First pic is the falls. Second is right near where we parked

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Old 05-15-18, 05:22 PM   #8
trout1980
Native

Good luck finding out if trout exist in that stream.
trout1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-18, 02:31 PM   #9
richf7
Native

Is a chub a carp?
richf7 is offline   Reply With Quote