NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > NGTO Fishing Forums > Ask the Experts
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-18, 12:01 PM   #1
JOHNKIES
Hall of Fame Member

Question Pond Search

The weekend of June 29th we will be in the ATL area for some family time. I have a request from my 11 year old grandson to get in some fishing. They live out in the Winder area and he has fished a few times, but not ready for rivers and fly rods just yet. Looking for a recommendation for a pond or similar where we can chase some bluegills or bass for a couple of hours. I know Ft Yargo is in the area, but know nothing about it. Heard it was drained a few years ago? He is a great kid and I take him to the Mills when they are up this way. Thanks for the advice!

I am okay with private ponds, so feel free to PM me if that works better. --jk--
JOHNKIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-18, 12:14 PM   #2
Trout8myfly
Past Director, Hall of Fame Member

The Buford Trout Hatchery, while not exactly near Winder, has a kids fishing pond. You can even borrow rods from the hatchery office. Plus you get to see the trout raceways and maybe get a tour of the facility.

https://georgiawildlife.com/buford-trout-hatchery

Quote:
Open daily from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., the Buford Trout Hatchery in Forsyth County allows visitors to view up to one million trout, both brown and rainbow, being reared to stock Georgia waters. Visitors can take a tour of the hatchery on Saturdays at 1 p.m. and can even feed the fish. Also on site is a family pond providing catch and release fishing of bluegill and catfish. Children (under age 16) may fish for free, but adults and teens (age 16 and older) must have a valid Georgia Fishing License. Located on the banks of the Chattahoochee, this hatchery is a fun and informative environment for the whole family.

ETA: Bring bread and hotdogs.
Trout8myfly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-18, 12:29 PM   #3
Swamp Angel
President

Ft Yargo is good for bream and a few crappie and small bass. Maybe a few catfish as well. I believe there is a pier on one section that should provide a little more access than simply fishing the bank. A few red wigglers on a long shank wire hook should provide a good bit of entertainment.
If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.
Swamp Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-18, 01:28 PM   #4
orey10m
Native

Fort yargo should be fine for some blue gill and is seemingly closest if you will truly be "in" Winder.
Bear Creek is another small reservoir near there and is pretty cool. I've caught some nice bass on it from a boat, and I know there's some bank fishing

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 06-18-18, 04:21 PM   #5
JOHNKIES
Hall of Fame Member

Cool "in" Winder.

"in" Winder. ............ I was being a social climber they actually live in Bethlehem.
JOHNKIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-18, 04:33 PM   #6
Isaac H
Native

I always thought Bethlehem was nicer than Winder. My office is right down the road near 316 & Winder Highway .... anytime I have cause to drive into Winder, itís an interesting experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Isaac H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-18, 04:57 PM   #7
groundpounder
Hall of Fame Member, Former Director

I would go to Tribble Mill park before Yargo. There are 2 lakes with bank access at both. I can pm some more details if you decide to go there. And itís not far from Bethlehem.
groundpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-18, 04:59 PM   #8
splatek16

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundpounder View Post
I would go to Tribble Mill park before Yargo. There are 2 lakes with bank access at both. I can pm some more details if you decide to go there. And itís not far from Bethlehem.

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
splatek16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-18, 12:36 AM   #9
fish2little
Native

Also, if you head towards Social Circle/ Madison you have Hard Labor Creek State Park. They have two lakes, as well. You can rent Jon boats...
Old 06-19-18, 06:18 AM   #10
huntfish
Hall of Fame Member

Elder Lake in Carl, GA is just down the road (US29). You put a $1 under the rock at the house across the street. You'll have bream, catfish, crappie and bass.
huntfish is offline   Reply With Quote