NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > NGTO Fishing Forums > Fishing Tips and Techniques
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-17, 12:01 PM   #11
JerryG
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaChung View Post
Great article.

A question though... How about when trout jump clear out of the water like dolphins? Are they chasing emergers as well? I see that from time to time and once I had one jump up about 3 feet in front of me in murky water at IF.
Being pushed to the surface by a 3 footer.

Dream big!

Good read Flickndip
JerryG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-17, 12:45 PM   #12
splatek16

Quote:
Great article.

A question though... How about when trout jump clear out of the water like dolphins? Are they chasing emergers as well? I see that from time to time and once I had one jump up about 3 feet in front of me in murky water at IF.
Great question. Many fish jump, in recent years even great white sharks have been observed 'catching air' while hunting seals from the bottom. Dolphins do it to 1) breathe and 2) as a social and communicative behavior (unless trained, then it's simply to impress humans
I had a rather large brown jump really close to me at the river, startled me it was so loud and so close and it was clear he was coming up to check out my suspension device dangling in some rougher water.

My hypothesis would be that larger fish leave the water while predating smaller prey; and smaller fish leave the water while being predated on by larger fish. Haha
splatek16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-17, 03:03 PM   #13
ChaChung
Native

JerryG: Haha. That's a good one.

splatek16: It may make sense that they're going after something and something close to the surface and possibly fast moving... since they have to be so aggressive as to jump out of the water and make themselves so vulnerable. I am just wondering what it is they're after so that next time I see them jump out like that, I can switch up the rig to increase my chances.

Some days I'm the hook and some days I'm the fish.

Instagram @charles_the_toothsmith
ChaChung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-17, 03:54 PM   #14
splatek16

Quote:
JerryG: Haha. That's a good one.

splatek16: It may make sense that they're going after something and something close to the surface and possibly fast moving... since they have to be so aggressive as to jump out of the water and make themselves so vulnerable. I am just wondering what it is they're after so that next time I see them jump out like that, I can switch up the rig to increase my chances.

Heck yeah me too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
splatek16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-17, 10:22 PM   #15
FlickNdip
Native

Quote:
Great article.

If you start seeing this behavior, I will typically switch to a dry dropper rig with either a trailing midge, emerged or soft hackle. Another way to fish for them would be to use an indicator about 1-2 feet above your first fly On a 2 flag rig. I like to use a wool indicator if I fish this way.

Team Georgia Competitive Fly Fishing Team now has a Facebook Page and an Instagram Page . Check them out for great information, pictures and events!

New to fly fishing? Check out Monthlyfly.com For localized Match The Hatch Flies mailed to your door!
FlickNdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-17, 05:44 AM   #16
ChaChung
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlickNdip View Post
If you start seeing this behavior, I will typically switch to a dry dropper rig with either a trailing midge, emerged or soft hackle. Another way to fish for them would be to use an indicator about 1-2 feet above your first fly On a 2 flag rig. I like to use a wool indicator if I fish this way.
Awesome. Thanks!

Some days I'm the hook and some days I'm the fish.

Instagram @charles_the_toothsmith
ChaChung is offline   Reply With Quote