NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Gear Talk > Gear and Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-18, 05:03 PM   #21
splatek16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoutUnlimited View Post
Forgot about this thread some good info. Got another 270 as a present itís Chinese so donít bother asking the name but probably cheap. My other one I lost the bottom lid. Glad you posted this because when I saw foam cork it gave me an idea:

I took a cheap wine foam cork and now itís my new lid! Had to kinda work it in. But now it serves as a lid, mini grip, and I made a slit in it to wind leaders around when not in use instead of using that little detachable holder Thanks!

#genius

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
splatek16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-18, 03:03 PM   #22
iso1600
Native

Been helping a few members get started via PM, answered a fairly common setup question today about line selection, felt like it would be good to post here:

They were asking about using nylon mono on a cheap rod, and having a hard time getting a fly anywhere but their feet.

A higher-test nylon mono will have more weight to the line which *should* help it cast, but the line will be thicker and not any more dense, so it prob won't cast much better, if any, at all.

Yeah you need some Level Line, which is denser flouro, making it thinner and heavier for the same test-weight. MUCH easier to cast. You could probably cast some like 30# sunset amnesia, but really, casting a crap line on a crap rod is not going to be enjoyable, and is not going to show the benefits of tenkara.

Not to beat the "gotta pay for quality" drum, but you kinda do. You can get a decent western fly rod and reel setup from china for cheap, and have a good time with it, because the market is there for decent stuff to be marketed cheaply.
The market is not there yet for cheap but good tenkara rods. I mean, it kinda is- a Shimotsuke Tenkara Gen 240, 270, or 300(cm) rod is a great value buy, if bought directly from Japan (amazon.jp- just change the country on your amazon account profile, and search for 魚釣三昧 てんから 源).... these are great cheap rods and good for small streams. By far the best value out there.

Casting a light nylon line (what nylon mono is) is actually something that generally requires a very high quality tenkara rod, and an angler that really knows what they are doing. I am not there yet lol.
DO NOT try to learn with a setup like this, it will likely only frustrate you, and it will be fun or easy to get the basics down when you are fighting the kit the whole time.
Old 06-09-18, 08:30 AM   #23
orey10m
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by iso1600 View Post
Been helping a few members get started via PM, answered a fairly common setup question today about line selection, felt like it would be good to post here:

They were asking about using nylon mono on a cheap rod, and having a hard time getting a fly anywhere but their feet.

A higher-test nylon mono will have more weight to the line which *should* help it cast, but the line will be thicker and not any more dense, so it prob won't cast much better, if any, at all.

Yeah you need some Level Line, which is denser flouro, making it thinner and heavier for the same test-weight. MUCH easier to cast. You could probably cast some like 30# sunset amnesia, but really, casting a crap line on a crap rod is not going to be enjoyable, and is not going to show the benefits of tenkara.

Not to beat the "gotta pay for quality" drum, but you kinda do. You can get a decent western fly rod and reel setup from china for cheap, and have a good time with it, because the market is there for decent stuff to be marketed cheaply.
The market is not there yet for cheap but good tenkara rods. I mean, it kinda is- a Shimotsuke Tenkara Gen 240, 270, or 300(cm) rod is a great value buy, if bought directly from Japan (amazon.jp- just change the country on your amazon account profile, and search for 魚釣三昧 てんから 源).... these are great cheap rods and good for small streams. By far the best value out there.

Casting a light nylon line (what nylon mono is) is actually something that generally requires a very high quality tenkara rod, and an angler that really knows what they are doing. I am not there yet lol.
DO NOT try to learn with a setup like this, it will likely only frustrate you, and it will be fun or easy to get the basics down when you are fighting the kit the whole time.
What's the best and/or cheapest way to get some of that level line? There's some on Amazon for $15 for 30m
Have any brand recommendations you like in particular?
Old 06-12-18, 09:24 PM   #24
jfgros01
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by orey10m View Post
What's the best and/or cheapest way to get some of that level line? There's some on Amazon for $15 for 30m

Have any brand recommendations you like in particular?

Canít speak for ISO but I really like the nissin oni high vis(amazon prime for $18). Noticed dragontail has some level line for pretty cheap on their website($10 limited time). I havenít used the dragontail stuff, but the company and its owner are awesome and I doubt they would sell a less than stellar product. 30m will last you quite a long time... itís a tough material. Iíve been fishing the same 16í section for about 6months and counting.

Its not level line but if youíre doing any nymphing on the hooch I strongly suggest you look into the moonlit oudachi.

jfgros01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-18, 10:49 PM   #25
splatek16

regular mono and/or fluro work too
That's what we used in UTAH
Old 06-26-18, 12:26 PM   #26
orey10m
Native

Does anyone have a preference on the little spools /line winders to store the line when you're moving between spots or done fishing?
There's the circular spools like tenkara USA sells..and then there's the "vertical" ones like this from dragontail

https://dragontailtenkara.com/tenkar...-line-winders/

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 06-26-18, 01:56 PM   #27
wrmann
Stocker

I have both and prefer the spool for level line and the long one for furled leaders. I tried the long one with level line (3.5) and found it put bends (kinks) in the line. The spool doesn't.
wrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-18, 03:13 PM   #28
jfgros01
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by orey10m View Post
Does anyone have a preference on the little spools /line winders to store the line when you're moving between spots or done fishing?
There's the circular spools like tenkara USA sells..and then there's the "vertical" ones like this from dragontail

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I have, and regularly use both. The long one is attached to all my rods and holds whatever line I'm currently using. As wrmann stated, it does bend a level line a bit, but Ive found that level line doesn't hold this kink while fishing and has never been an issue. I light tug or even the first cast straightens it out. IMO this is a much faster way of "spooling up" between fishing spots and I prefer it for on stream line management. And since it is integral to the setup, I don't have to worry about putting it in my pocket and losing it.

I have 2 of the round ones from tenkara USA and they hold any other line that I'm not currently fishing. I may bring one of these with me on the water and it will hold a furled line and another, different length of level line.

End of the day, both are good.
jfgros01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-18, 05:55 PM   #29
splatek16

Long line winders