NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Gear Talk > Gear and Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-18, 06:14 PM   #1
richf7
Native

Default Wet wading gear question

Today I wore my regular wading boots with Simms neoprene booties and the same merino wool socks I use in the winter. As soon as I stepped in the river my booties soaked up water like a sponge and my feet were soaked. I expected the booties to keep my feet dry just like the waders do.

Am I missing something?
richf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-18, 07:20 PM   #2
fishteeth
Native

Yeah, they aren't meant to be watertight. They are replacing space filled by the booties in your waders so the wading boot still fits. If you want watertight and not full waders, I have Chota hippies and have been happy. But I only use them in the winter or late fall and it's too cold to wet wade.
https://www.chotaoutdoorgear.com/products/chota-hippies
fishteeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-18, 10:42 PM   #3
mjromzick
Stocker

I use neoprene booties without socks. Usually very comfortable. Seems to me that socks would pull more water into the booties.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
mjromzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-18, 11:51 AM   #4
Counslrman
Hall of Fame Member

...I used to use red Chuck Taylor Converse before they were called "Chuck Taylors"...my body temp tolerance no longer allows that...

...we fished the snot out of the Chattooga way before DH was a twinkle in the DNR's eye...

Blessings!

Jimmy
Counslrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-18, 12:28 PM   #5
RScott
Ex-President, Victim of the Cajun Rebellion

Cheap white calf length tube socks, Simms booties, wading boots. I hate the feel of my skin in the neoprene. Cheap socks because after 3-4 times I just throw them away, they are permanently stained.

I have used wading sandals, but too much gravel and the boots still offer toe and ankle protection. And cobra's....

Support the Mission Statement - buy the TU License Plate!

RScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-18, 02:17 PM   #6
richf7
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counslrman View Post
...I used to use red Chuck Taylor Converse before they were called "Chuck Taylors"...my body temp tolerance no longer allows that...

...we fished the snot out of the Chattooga way before DH was a twinkle in the DNR's eye...

Blessings!

Jimmy
We called them Converse All-Stars.
richf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-18, 04:29 PM   #7
Big T
BOD HOF SSQTCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by RScott View Post
Cheap white calf length tube socks, Simms booties, wading boots. I hate the feel of my skin in the neoprene. Cheap socks because after 3-4 times I just throw them away, they are permanently stained.

I have used wading sandals, but too much gravel and the boots still offer toe and ankle protection. And cobra's....
I use tan socks - no need to throw away. Chota makes some good neoprene booties I believe.

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off
Big T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-18, 05:39 PM   #8
JOHNKIES
Hall of Fame Member

Cool Girly Men

What a bunch of girly-men. Worried about getting their feet wet. So sad. Real men wade without waders and without wading boots! I had stud sockets surgically installed on the bottoms of my feet so I could achieve good gripsion on the weedy rocks. If it gets really cold, have your fishing partner suck the ice out from between your toes ..............
JOHNKIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-18, 09:32 AM   #9
iso1600
Native

yeah the water is supposed to get inside the neoprene booties/neo-socks.
It acts like a wet suit, and after a few seconds it's pretty comfortable IMO. In the warmer months, I like to wet wade in trout streams, feels great.