NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Gear Talk > Gear and Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-18, 04:13 PM   #21
browniez
NGTO Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPrich View Post
Yessir that's what I use for all my leaders now when throwing lizards, brushhawgs, craws etc down at West point. It's expensive but worth it for sure.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Yes it is! It’s really not even that bad when you consider how much use you get out of a spool if using for braid/fluoro leader application. I’ve got some 12, 15, and 20 I got on sale a couple years back and still haven’t run out.

If you think about it, it’s really the cost difference of one decent hardbait between that and Seaguar Red Label (IMHO a terrible choice). I know you’ll have at least one more knot pop with a spool of seaguar than Sunline. Probably a lot more.
Old 07-09-18, 04:42 PM   #22
gau16
Native

As a Seaguar guy, I've always used Invisx. Never tried the red label.
Old 07-09-18, 04:51 PM   #23
browniez
NGTO Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by gau16 View Post
As a Seaguar guy, I've always used Invisx. Never tried the red label.
You are not the first person I’ve heard say that the Invisx is a good line. Seaguars 832 Braid is incredible, so their higher end fluoro must be solid. The Red Label just sticks out, cause of the red label, price point and availability (always in stock at Walmart).

I’ll take you up on it and pick some Invisx up next time I’m in need and let you know how it compares.
Old 07-09-18, 04:54 PM   #24
WPrich
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by browniez View Post
Yes it is! Itís really not even that bad when you consider how much use you get out of a spool if using for braid/fluoro leader application. Iíve got some 12, 15, and 20 I got on sale a couple years back and still havenít run out.

If you think about it, itís really the cost difference of one decent hardbait between that and Seaguar Red Label (IMHO a terrible choice). I know youíll have at least one more knot pop with a spool of seaguar than Sunline. Probably a lot more.
True just using it for leaders it does last a long time so it is worth the investment, I think I have it in 5,7,10, and 14 #. During the spring fishing classic at basspro they had it buy one get one half off if I'm not mistaken.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
WPrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-18, 05:43 PM   #25
ferrulewax
Native

I have some 8# seaguar tatsu that I use for most of my finesse applications, however I still believe Trouthunter and Mirage to be superior to pretty much any conventional line I have used. I will even use trouthunter on my dropshots . In my experience particularly with normal trout tippet sizes, tippet specific material is better than equally sized normal fluoro just because it is more supple.

My Instagram
Unicoi Outfitters
ferrulewax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-18, 06:38 PM   #26
erikclymore
Native

This is a tough one. I typically lean towards the budget side of all my gear.
Worth it:
-I’ll jump on the glasses train. I have terrible eye site and have to wear prescription specs. For about a year I either suffered through the glares or if it was bad enough I would bring out the pair of polarized Ray bans that looked like they had been dragged down a gravel road. Last January I got some prescription polarized lenses put in my old frames and I will never go back!
-tungsten! I can’t imagine going back to brass and shot when euro nymphing or nymphing in general.
-wading boots. I think I re glued my white river boots 10 times before finally accepting that they will never hold up long term and dropped the money on Simms.

Not worth it:
-Gadgets/fly boxes/etc. I get by just fine with fingernail clippers, paracord, the odd piece of backing or mono and the random pieces of White River stuff I bought early on. I can appreciate the quality difference in most items, but personally, it rarely justifies the price increase. I will treat myself to the occasional gadget, but it’s usually a spur the moment purchase. Having said all that I can’t believe I went a year without a net magnet!
-Nymph hooks. I know there are plenty of horror stories about cheap hooks and one day I’m sure to have my own, but for the time being I can’t pass up buying budget hooks in bulk. I tie waaaaaaay to much and a lot of my bugs never make the cut. Im also still a little cocky after catching fish after fish on the norfork on a bent hook. I was down to one fly in that particular pattern. Every fish I hooked would bend the hook and I’d bend it right back after I released the fish. I think I went through about 5 fish doing this. The fly finally was retired after landing a ~20” cutthroat who completely mangled the bug but still mad it to the net. I have thought about buying quality hooks to use on my standard confidence patterns though. Streamer hooks are all name brand and preferably black nickel or stainless. I will not skimp there.
-Nets. How in the world people justify spending $75+ on a rubber net has baffled me since the first time I priced them at AO. Give me an eagle Claw or frabhil any day!

Regarding reels, I’m iffy there. I’ve used nothing but handmedown or super budget reels on my fly rods and landed some pretty decent fish. However the other day I dropped my crazy expensive ($50) reel and dented the spool it would scrub the frame on every rotation causing moments of resistance. I figured I could pry the dent right out with a screw driver. I barely applied any pressure and the dang thing shattered like it was made of peanut brittle! So I’m on the fence now concerning reels.
erikclymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-18, 06:43 PM   #27
fishnpreacher
Board of Directors Chaplain, Hall of Fame

I'm gonna throw one out there in the "Worth It" category that I haven't seen yet.
Folstaff wading staff...has saved my hind end from a fall more than once, and if it saved me once it was worth it.
Flyline. A good, top end rod won't cast a junk line, but a good line can make an El Cheapo rod feel right.
Optics, sunglasses, whatever you want to call it. Worth it!

Save on rod. I can't see spending more than a house payment for a fishing pole
Save on stuff like nippers, hemos, zingers. Cheap ones lose just as easy as expensive
Save on waders, boots, etc. Buy a boat and stay dry.

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!

"Perhaps you need a visit there yerself. Snidess doth not fall on deaf ears. ...just sayin" GoutUnlimited
fishnpreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-18, 09:32 PM   #28
splatek16

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnpreacher View Post

Save on waders, boots, etc. Buy a boat and stay dry.

Yessir. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
splatek16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-18, 09:34 PM   #29
swampguts
Native

Send a message via ICQ to swampguts

Quote:
Originally Posted by browniez View Post
If you think about it, itís really the cost difference of one decent hardbait between that and Seaguar Red Label (IMHO a terrible choice). I know youíll have at least one more knot pop with a spool of seaguar than Sunline. Probably a lot more.
I've only been fishing for ten months, heavy on bass for about five of them, and use Seaguar Red for every fluoro leader I tie except drop shotting where I use P Line leader material, but which is far too boring a way to fish for me. And have never once popped a knot. Granted, my PB is only six and a half pounds. I even spool it on my crankbait reels with zero problems.

Sorry for the probably multiple run on sentences, I'm trying to find a single malt scotch that I like.
swampguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-18, 10:11 PM   #30
bozosnightmare
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnpreacher View Post
I'm gonna throw one out there in the "Worth It" category that I haven't seen yet.

Folstaff wading staff...has saved my hind end from a fall more than once, and if it saved me once it was worth it.

I agree a wading staff is a very valuable piece of gear. I havenít spent the $$ but recycled some of my old ski poles. One piece might be a ding on the convenience factor but they wonít collapse under weight, shouldnít break and you can find them used cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bozosnightmare is offline   Reply With Quote