NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Gear Talk > Gear and Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-09, 02:02 PM   #11
SlowStreamer
NGTO IT Support Team, Past CIO, Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSU NA GA View Post
Check out this article in Midcurrent....

http://www.midcurrent.com/articles/t...ng_double.aspx

I don't see catching less on an in-line rig... I guess it's just personal preference.
TSU,

That is the step I started off using originally and still do for Dry dropper configurations.

The main reason I like the 3-rig is the ease of switching out flies without having to redo the whole rig.

Example. I can put a dry on top, a emerger next tag down and a nymph on the end.

If that does not work and their going after caddis, I can put caddis on top two tags and a cripple or emerger on the end.

Or all nymphs, or nymphs up top and a streamer at the end like a woolly bugger.

I give these examples cause I have done these type of swaps while on the water when trying to figure out what will work. If I have not been on the water in some time and need to do this I will tie the rig with slightly longer tags so I will have extra for multiple fly changes before they are too short and the rig needs to be replaced.

I know some may be thinking man that is a lot of tippet material being used in this rig. Yep, but I buy Mono and Flouro on the freshwater fishing wall by maxing the diameter and wt as close to actual tippet material as possible for fraction of the cost.

Just my cheap
Old 11-12-09, 04:06 PM   #12
Robert Lee
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam o' Shanter View Post
Rob -

The T-connection looks like a cool set-up. I'll have to experiement with it. No problems with crowding the hook eye - and ending up with a funky drift - with a 4/5 or 5/6 leader/tippet combo?

Thanks,
Tam
Tam - I seem to never have a problem with crowding the hook. Typically my first fly will be my attractor which is usually a #14 or bigger with the smaller fly on bottom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windknot View Post
Rob,

The conventional folks have a trick when drop shotting.

Tie a middle fly on with a Palomar knot, but run the long tag end BACK THRU the hook eye. You can make it ride hook-point up, with a straight shot to the lower fly. Strong knot, too.
WK - I have a buddy who does this. I have to give that a try next time I'm on the water
Old 11-12-09, 04:13 PM   #13
TSU NA GA
Native

I hope what I wrote didn't come off offensive. I was mainly trying to say that I don't think if you fish an in-line rig you miss out on catching fish or for that matter visa-versa.
TSU NA GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-09, 04:38 PM   #14
SlowStreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSU NA GA View Post
I hope what I wrote didn't come off offensive. I was mainly trying to say that I don't think if you fish an in-line rig you miss out on catching fish or for that matter visa-versa.
TSU,

not at all. I took it for what it was, just another way to catch fish. The more you know the better off you are.
Old 11-12-09, 11:20 PM   #15
TSU NA GA
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowStreamer View Post
TSU,

not at all. I took it for what it was, just another way to catch fish. The more you know the better off you are.

I agree! The cool thing about ff is that the possibilities are endless and techniques, equipment etc are always evolving. You can learn until you are tired of learning.
TSU NA GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-09, 04:45 PM   #16
sparsehackle
Native

Here's another interesting article on rigging & fishing multi-fly rigs:

http://www.flyguysoutfitting.com/droppers.html
sparsehackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-09, 05:28 PM   #17
SlowStreamer

Sparsehackle,

that's some great information. Thanks for posting.
Old 06-28-10, 10:09 PM   #18
phlyster
Native

nice!

I learned how to tie on a fly by watching the grey haired Norman at the end of A River Runs Through It.
phlyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-11, 06:34 PM   #19
driftwood
Native

is this a competition friendly rig? Or are there special requirements for competitions?
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-16, 06:25 PM   #20
mud walker
Stocker

"Have you tried a weight for the 3rd fly? I was thinking about a rig like that but using a small bell weight in place of the 3rd fly. That would keep the flies in the water but prevent the hanging up the 3rd fly can cause. Any thoughts?"

Im new and only have a spinning rod as of now. Do yall think this set up would be good for spin fishing. As of now im only using rapala. Im not a big fan if the roster-tails. I would like to go more natural if I can.
mud walker is offline   Reply With Quote