NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Gear Talk > Gear and Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-13, 09:37 PM   #31
fearnofishbob
Native

Default NO Problem remembering

Ain't hard when you're like me.......... I just got one line !
Old 10-07-13, 06:01 PM   #32
Gene L
Native

I've used the sharpie method with good success. I don't like the paste dots on the reel foot because if you change lines, you have to change the pasters. With the Sharpie method, you have a permanent mark on the line, not on the reel, which lets you swap reels if you want.
Gene L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-13, 10:08 PM   #33
watkins
Native

Send a message via Yahoo to watkins
Default Lines,

Seems strange, but bout the only thing I can remember nowdays is what lines I got on my reels. TRW
watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-13, 10:35 AM   #34
revwayne
Native

I've routinely used the 'stickies' that come with the lines - I faithfully put those on the spool and after a few unintended baptisms they fade and fall apart so I began using a Dymo labelmaker with vinyl tape (not the hard plastic) - I've used it for years in my furniture shop and those labels don't peel off and the lettering doesn't wear off. The higher priced ($30) label maker has many font sizes and you can make some small labels for the outside of the spool.
revwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-13, 11:59 AM   #35
MariettaMike
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene L View Post
I've used the sharpie method with good success. I don't like the paste dots on the reel foot because if you change lines, you have to change the pasters. With the Sharpie method, you have a permanent mark on the line, not on the reel, which lets you swap reels if you want.
Good Ole Lefty claims credit for that system... It works for me. Especially when using the same reel for different weight rods.

Some fly shops will mark your new line with this system without your even asking.

http://templeforkrods.wordpress.com/...marking-system
Old 10-13-13, 09:06 PM   #36
Gene L
Native

Yeah. I have way too many reels and all of them have line on them. I had to weigh the first 30 ft. of some lines to determine the weight and marked them so now I know.

About any system works so long as you remember the system. I use a black sharpie, haven't seen a marker in Indigo.
Gene L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-14, 03:28 PM   #37
Pondjumpr
Native

I just wanted to say THANK YOU for this thread and the information regarding marking your line with a sharpie. I don't have too many reels or lines but I recently swapped two lines and reels and stickers or labels would have been a deterrant and made me think twice about swapping lines on reels. The lines being marked (one was a 4wt the other a 5wt) made it as simple as tying to the new spool and reeling it on the line.

Awesome idea and I hope whoever came up with it (Lefty??) gets credit for that awesome idea.

Thanks for sharing!
Pondjumpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-14, 07:29 AM   #38
FishIowa
Stocker

I use the plastic key tags attached to the reel case. Use a sharpie to put line weight and model.
FishIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-14, 01:34 PM   #39
Riverpirate
Native

For me it's not just weights and tapers and floating non floating. It's all the different types of lines. I have 34 reels now and almost all of them have different types of lines on the. I still just cut the Lable off the box and put it in the reel case. That works pretty good until I drop it out of the case at the river....

Then I just don't know what the heck I am throwing.
Old 12-04-14, 03:47 PM   #40
Jakeway
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparsehackle View Post
I mark rings with a sharpie on the end of the fly line where I attach the leader. Each narrow ring (about 1/16" wide) is a line weight, and each thick ring (about 1/4" wide) denotes a 5 wt. For example: 4 thin rings = 4 wt; one thick ring + 2 thin rings = 7 wt., etc., etc.
I do this, plus put a small label on the inside if the spool.
Jakeway is offline   Reply With Quote