NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Gear Talk > Watercraft
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-18, 07:19 PM   #1
Isaac H
Native

Default Mounting a fly rod holder on a Trophy 126

Has anybody mounted a fly rod holder on a Future Beach Trophy 126 DLX. I just picked one up (belated Christmas present), and Iím trying to get outfitted Before my maiden voyage on April 13.

Iím wondering the best place to put the rod holder. I have purchased a Scotty holder with a surface mount, though I may pick up a flush mount.

Please help this noob out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Isaac H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-18, 08:15 PM   #2
fishnpreacher
Board of Directors Chaplain, Hall of Fame

Check out youtube for kayak mods for the Trophy 126. I googled it and 4 or 5 popped up. Being a sit-in type vs a SOT (sit on top) will be a bit more of a challenge for mounting a rod holder. Shouldn't be too hard to do.

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!

"Perhaps you need a visit there yerself. Snidess doth not fall on deaf ears. ...just sayin" GoutUnlimited
fishnpreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-18, 09:56 PM   #3
Crawfish
Native

I would paddle the boat before cutting holes in it. Thatís the best way to make sure you donít have a rod holder located where it will interfere with paddling. Put a leash on anything you donít want to lose.
Old 03-26-18, 11:22 AM   #4
Isaac H
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawfish View Post
I would paddle the boat before cutting holes in it. Thatís the best way to make sure you donít have a rod holder located where it will interfere with paddling. Put a leash on anything you donít want to lose.

Good point Craw. I think Iím going to put a surface mount on the front dash for now. That way if I realize it was a mistake, I only have four little holes that I can fill-in with stainless steel screws. (or even PVC plugsÖ because Iím extra like that) After the maiden voyage in two weeks, I will decide if and where I want to add some flush mount adapters. I have found several videos on YouTube, and the front dash in the cockpit seems to be a typical mounting point.

I do want to add Some type of scabbard going the length of the yak to keep my rod protected if Iím going to be paddling for an extended period of time between holes. Has anybody done something similar to that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Isaac H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-18, 07:16 PM   #5
Crawfish
Native

That would be a real project, and it might interfere with your knees or legs. How about one on the dash that can be pivoted up or down. If you think overhanging limbs will be a problem, just tilt the rod tip down so it canít be struck.

I have a little Tarpon 100 that I am still waiting to put flush holders on. I may not. It has tracks on it, so I just grab a ball mount and one of the holders from my Native when I take it out. A section of track would be very versatile for you.

You can make great rod leashes from weed walker cord. Just look on YouTube. I can show you the ones I made. They are very strong, cheap, and easy to make.