NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > NGTO Fishing Forums > General Information
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-11, 01:02 AM   #1
dlcoach77
Native

Default General Public Trout Fishing Myths

One thing that I have learned is that a large majority of people who trout fish know very little about trout ( I know, I was one). But worse, there are some down right crazy things that some people think about trout fishing in GA. Here's the stuff I've heard just this season:

1. It is illegal to throw back trout in GA: "Oh yeah, they fined a guy at my church $800 for throwing a trout back. They want you to keep everyone you catch. That's why I use a treble hook and let'em swallow it so they won't suffer on the stringer" (old man fishing from bank)

2. Trout are super-fish: "They don't stock trout in the lakes because they would get to big and wipe out the other fish." (bait shop guy)

3. Brown trout are just male rainbows: "The brown speckled ones are males. They get brown with them spots like that to show off." (dad fishing with son from bank)

4. Its O.K. to keep as many fish as you want too: "Your limit is 8 per time that you fish. If you leave and come back then you can limit out again." (old man from #1)

Chuck Clark
dlcoach77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-11, 08:24 AM   #2
THE EG
CFO, HoF Member, Director

"Corn kills trout!" often repeated from many fly fishers.
Old 07-09-11, 09:51 AM   #3
JOHNKIES
Hall of Fame Member

Question Corn Kills Trout

I don't think corn as such kills trout, but I recall an article pointing out that while they eat corn their system will not digest it. The result is that the undigested corn can be too big for them to pass it.
JOHNKIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-11, 11:06 AM   #4
IronLion
Native

I have met several bait fishermen who say that once you hook and land a trout its going to die from the stress and so C&R is ALWAYS pointless. However when I hear this, often times the remark is directed toward certain fly fishermen who think that anything but C&R is a great sin (and they don't have a problem publicly condemning those who do otherwise).
IronLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-11, 11:29 AM   #5
terry creech
Director, Hall of Fame Member

I try and eat enough trout each summer to keep C and R from becoming a fundamental article of the faith. For me, it's a vital but non-essential piece.
"Good things come to those who wade." John 6:37
terry creech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-11, 05:08 PM   #6
Buck Henry
Former NGTO President, Sith Lord, FKA Bhuk Henri

Here is a myth for you to ponder, the NGTO mission statement!

Quote:
North Georgia Trout Online, Inc. is a non-profit organization 501(c)(3) dedicated to the promotion and protection of trout fishing in North Georgia.

NGTO is committed:
  • To promote sound environmental policies in Georgia's business and government.
  • To promote conservation measures to sustain and protect trout fisheries in Georgia
  • To increasing public awareness, by all appropriate means, of the value of trout fisheries in Georgia.
  • To collecting, generating and disseminating pertinent information that relates to all aspects of trout fishing.
  • To nurture in both young and old environmental stewardship, the joy of fishing and the peace of mind it brings.
  • To carry out other lawful activities as directed.
Well, this is what they (we) want you to think. Actually we are a clandestine militant wing of PETA and we are very close to shutting down all recreational fishing in the state of Georgia.....dare I say the world!!!!

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member
Buck Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-11, 10:27 AM   #7
wtbfishin
Native

their you go again Buck, letting secrets prematurely
wtbfishin is offline   Reply With Quote