NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Welcome to NGTO > NGTO Flings
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-18, 08:30 PM   #1
Steve Hudson
Hall of Fame Member

Default POPPING BUGS tying workshop at the Spring Fling!

Hi folks!

Things are going to be popping at this year's Spring Fling on Saturday, April 14! Sorry, I had to say that...because this year's Fling will feature...

[insert drum roll]

...the 2018 NGTO SPRING FLING POPPING BUG TYING WORKSHOP!

We're particularly excited to offer this tying workshop at this year's Spring Fling, for Popping Bugs are some of the most "fun" flies to tie (and fish) that you'll find! They work well all over Georgia and the Southeast and are often the flies of choice for bass and bream fishing. Trout like them too (but don't tell anyone...that's top secret) especially in areas where hoppers are found. Even wild brookies will almost jump out of the water to nail tiny ones, while big saltwater bruisers like snook and even tarpon love to demolish the big ones. Yes, Popping Bugs really do come close to being universal flies.

The workshop will be led by Yours Truly. In this workshop, which is designed for adults and teens, we will focus on learning basic techniques which tyers use to create Popping Bugs in a variety of styles and for a number of different fishing situations.

In this workshop, you'll learn the secrets of tying great popping bugs...how to shape bodies, how to mount bodies on hooks, how to add tailing and hackle and legs, and even how to decorate the finished bugs. We'll give special attention to creating flies that work well in the warmwater fisheries here in the Southeast, and along the way we'll talk about fishing strategies, too, to help you put those great new bugs to use on the water. It is guaranteed to be a huge amount of fun!

Whether you're just starting out or have tied for years, a session tying Popping Bugs will give you some GREAT flies to use throughout the spring, summer and fall months for bass, bream and more!

TIME

The class will begin promptly at 9 a.m. and will run until 10:30 a.m. We'll do our best to start right at 9, so please plan to be in place and ready to go by then. In fact, plan to arrive a few minutes early to be sure that you're ready to go when the 9 a.m. start time rolls around!

PLACE

Plans are to have this workshop outside the big shed immediately adjacent to the main Fling field. Tables will be set up and ready to go, so all you have to do is be there!

TOOLS

All tools (including tying vises if you need them) will be provided for your use during the workshop, but if you have your own by all means bring them. It's always great to be able to use your own tools, but I'll have plenty for those who don't have their own.

EXCEPT...

Please bring a power drill if you can. We want a high-speed drill, not a low-speed drill-style screwdriver. A quarter inch chuck is fine. Thanks to the drill and to some really great body material, MUCH fun and creativity is in store!

MATERIALS

I'll provide all materials (including special kinked-shank Popping Bug hooks, popper body material, legging material, and all additional tying materials).

ANYTHING SPECIAL YOU SHOULD BRING?

Yes...if you can, please bring two things:

1) Please bring some "Superglue"-type glue -- that is, the instant-setting cyanoacrylate type adhesive. The "gel" formulation works best in this application.

2) Please bring a bottle of Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails clear nail polish. We'll use this for "head cement" during our tying. If you forget to bring this, don't panic...I'll have some there!...but having your own will speed things along during the tying portion of our time together. And if you really want to be efficient, put the Hard as Nails into a small plastic squeeze bottle with a fine tip...these are available nowadays at many NGTO sponsors in their fly tying departments.

AND ONE MORE IMPORTANT THING TO BRING

An empty fly box into which you can place your new creations!

COST

There's NO CHARGE for the workshop, and everything you'll need is provided (including tying tools if you don't have your own).

SIGNING UP

So that we can have a truly great workshop, and so that I can be sure we have enough materials, we're initially limiting this workshop to eight people. Please sign up on this thread. When you sign up, please indicate whether you need tying tools to use during the class or if you will bring your own. Thank you!

Drop me a note if you have any questions. Meanwhile, I'm looking forward to tying some great Popping Bugs with you at the Fling!

See you there!

Best,

Steve

Spring Fling Popping Bug Tying Workshop:

1. Lumis
2. Bean Counter

Last edited by Swamp Angel; 04-13-18 at 03:58 PM.
Steve Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-18, 10:37 PM   #2
Lumis
Native

I think I'll sign up. I'd love to attempt fly tying.
Lumis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-18, 03:36 PM   #3
Steve Hudson
Hall of Fame Member

Default Welcome!

Excellent! You'll have a great time and create some VERY effective popping bugs! Looking forward to having you in the workshop!
Old 04-10-18, 04:41 PM   #4
Steve Hudson
Hall of Fame Member

Default Exciting news for popper tyers!

Greetings, fellow popping bug fans! Thereís still plenty of time to sign up for the Spring Fling popper tying clinic. Itís going to be a blast!

And...

At great personal risk, Iíve managed to get us some OLIVE DRAB POPPER FOAM (in addition to other colors) for use in the popping bug tying clinic at the fling! This olive color is some of the best material EVER for tying a variety of frog imitations! Im excited about this tying workshop ó itís just the thing to get you ready for the great spring and summer fishing thatís just around the corner!
Old 04-10-18, 07:24 PM   #5
Lumis
Native

Nothing wrong with less people to make my flies look bad

I'm sure everyone will sign up last second, or on the spot.
Lumis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-18, 12:31 PM   #6
Steve Hudson
Hall of Fame Member

Default ONE MORE THING TO BRING: A high-speed power drill!

To get the most out of the popping bug tying workshop, please bring a power drill if you can.

We want a high-speed drill, not a low-speed drill-style screwdriver. A quarter inch chuck is fine.

Thanks to the drill and to some really great body material, MUCH fun and creativity is in store!

Best,

Steve
Old 04-13-18, 02:26 PM   #7
Bean Counter
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hudson View Post
Hi folks!

Things are going to be popping at this year's Spring Fling on Saturday, April 14! Sorry, I had to say that...because this year's Fling will feature...

[insert drum roll]

...the 2018 NGTO SPRING FLING POPPING BUG TYING WORKSHOP!

We're particularly excited to offer this tying workshop at this year's Spring Fling, for Popping Bugs are some of the most "fun" flies to tie (and fish) that you'll find! They work well all over Georgia and the Southeast and are often the flies of choice for bass and bream fishing. Trout like them too (but don't tell anyone...that's top secret) especially in areas where hoppers are found. Even wild brookies will almost jump out of the water to nail tiny ones, while big saltwater bruisers like snook and even tarpon love to demolish the big ones. Yes, Popping Bugs really do come close to being universal flies.

The workshop will be led by Yours Truly. In this workshop, which is designed for adults and teens, we will focus on learning basic techniques which tyers use to create Popping Bugs in a variety of styles and for a number of different fishing situations.

In this workshop, you'll learn the secrets of tying great popping bugs...how to shape bodies, how to mount bodies on hooks, how to add tailing and hackle and legs, and even how to decorate the finished bugs. We'll give special attention to creating flies that work well in the warmwater fisheries here in the Southeast, and along the way we'll talk about fishing strategies, too, to help you put those great new bugs to use on the water. It is guaranteed to be a huge amount of fun!

Whether you're just starting out or have tied for years, a session tying Popping Bugs will give you some GREAT flies to use throughout the spring, summer and fall months for bass, bream and more!

TIME

The class will begin promptly at 9 a.m. and will run until 10:30 a.m. We'll do our best to start right at 9, so please plan to be in place and ready to go by then. In fact, plan to arrive a few minutes early to be sure that you're ready to go when the 9 a.m. start time rolls around!

PLACE

Plans are to have this workshop outside the big shed immediately adjacent to the main Fling field. Tables will be set up and ready to go, so all you have to do is be there!

TOOLS

All tools (including tying vises if you need them) will be provided for your use during the workshop, but if you have your own by all means bring them. It's always great to be able to use your own tools, but I'll have plenty for those who don't have their own.

EXCEPT...

Please bring a power drill if you can. We want a high-speed drill, not a low-speed drill-style screwdriver. A quarter inch chuck is fine. Thanks to the drill and to some really great body material, MUCH fun and creativity is in store!

MATERIALS

I'll provide all materials (including special kinked-shank Popping Bug hooks, popper body material, legging material, and all additional tying materials).

ANYTHING SPECIAL YOU SHOULD BRING?

Yes...if you can, please bring two things:

1) Please bring some "Superglue"-type glue -- that is, the instant-setting cyanoacrylate type adhesive. The "gel" formulation works best in this application.

2) Please bring a bottle of Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails clear nail polish. We'll use this for "head cement" during our tying. If you forget to bring this, don't panic...I'll have some there!...but having your own will speed things along during the tying portion of our time together. And if you really want to be efficient, put the Hard as Nails into a small plastic squeeze bottle with a fine tip...these are available nowadays at many NGTO sponsors in their fly tying departments.

AND ONE MORE IMPORTANT THING TO BRING

An empty fly box into which you can place your new creations!

COST

There's NO CHARGE for the workshop, and everything you'll need is provided (including tying tools if you don't have your own).

SIGNING UP

So that we can have a truly great workshop, and so that I can be sure we have enough materials, we're initially limiting this workshop to eight people. Please sign up on this thread. When you sign up, please indicate whether you need tying tools to use during the class or if you will bring your own. Thank you!

Drop me a note if you have any questions. Meanwhile, I'm looking forward to tying some great Popping Bugs with you at the Fling!

See you there!

Best,

Steve

Spring Fling Popping Bug Tying Workshop:

1. Lumis
Steve
Is it to late to sign up for the tying class? If not sign me up. I'll bring tools.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Old 04-13-18, 03:58 PM   #8
Swamp Angel
President

You're in, BC. Gotcha covered here. There are a few slots open.

I'd imagine that a few more folks will want to join in at some point, but you'll have priority since you're on the list now.
If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.
Swamp Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-18, 04:00 PM   #9
Steve Hudson
Hall of Fame Member

Default Looking forward to seeing you there!

It should be a LOT of fun!

Best,

Steve