NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Beyond Georgia
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-18, 11:02 AM   #11
mudrun
Native

My cousin is starting a guiding business on the San Juan - he's fished there his whole life. Even if you don't go with him, he can give you some pointers on access (he operates mostly out of Navajo Dam) although by his admission, you need a drift boat to get to a lot of the world class water.

PM me if you want his contact info.

Durango, ~ 1hr north or so, has a great fly shop downtown, and the Animas is outside of town. Rivers out there were really low when I was out there this past July.

Good luck!
mudrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-18, 11:42 AM   #12
JOHNKIES
Hall of Fame Member

Default Dining

NM has some great tex-mex food with a more western flair than you would find in the east, and a great blending in of some native American foods as well. However, know your colors! In most of the mountain west you will be asked if you want red or green chili. Red meaning "STOP" as in stop right now that's hot enough, and, Green means "GO" as in go for the water. But in NM it is reversed. And by all means get yourselves some Hatch chillis. They are the gold standard for southwest cooking.
JOHNKIES is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-18, 12:16 PM   #13
Chsmith_jr
Native

Do a search for my posts about the San Juan. It is actually pretty easy wading. The river is close to the road, there's plenty of shallow water out of the current to wade, the water is clear enough to see where you're going, and the rocks are not as slippery as the N Georgia streams. It's a tailwater and can get crowded, but you are guaranteed a ton of really healthy fish and their diet is almost 100% midges, so catching them is relatively easy.

Don't fish the Pecos. It's a crappy put and take stream. It gets hammered.

Taos is a cool little town. I fished the Rio Grande near there and did okay once. Not too far away is the Rio Chama, which I've never fished but have been told is a good spot to check out. I like Santa Fe, too. As someone else said, the food out there is amazing.
Chsmith_jr is offline   Reply With Quote