NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Gear Talk > Gear and Equipment
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-16, 09:56 PM   #1
chainshaw
Stocker

Default wading/hiking shoes?

I am looking for the perfect cross between a hiking shoe and a wading shoe. I love to fish Noontootla and it can be a bit of work when you really dig in. I need something a bit better than just wearing old tennis shoes or wearing my regular wading shoes with neoprene socks. This is for summer fishing, so no waders are being worn.

Any recommendations?
chainshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-16, 10:21 PM   #2
ferrulewax
Native

I wear a pair of Simms rivertread sneakers for what you have described, love em. I also wear a set of wool socks with them. Wool insulates, even when wet and helps to keep gravel and sand out of the top of the shoe. I would also check out the simms vapor boot and intruder boot. Orvis encounter wading boots are an inexpensive and lightweight alternative as well, although they suffer durability issues. For a non- fishing specific boot, try Salomon Amphibians.

My Instagram
Unicoi Outfitters
ferrulewax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-16, 12:22 PM   #3
Brotherbear
Native

I love my Patagonia River Walkers. Light weight and extremely comfortable.
Super sticky sole. You can add carbide studs as well.
Old 03-05-16, 12:06 AM   #4
halh68
Hall of Fame

Go to Korkers website and give their products a look. The have some of the best customer service in the industry if there is ever a problem. I've owned several pairs. I had a problem with one and I was concerned with it happening again . They let me get a different boot than the style I had just to alleviate that concern. Great folks in that company and right here in the USA! I had my new boots 3 days after I called and they didn't even make me send the old ones back just had to email them pics of the problem!
Hal
Old 03-05-16, 12:15 AM   #5
TheBreeze
Formerly AWBivins

This reminds me of a project I have in mind. I want to buy some used high top sneakers and then glue some korkers soles to the bottom of them. I think it would make a sweet wading shoe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

íViva los fun hogs!

Follow me as I follow Drifter on Instagram
TheBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-16, 08:03 AM   #6
Dtroutmann
Native

Yeah I have problems with my boots as well if they don't fit right my feet go through some excruciating stuff. I have a pair of simms and a pair of Patagonia rock grips and when both are not tight enough they really hurt. It ends a day of fishing immediately. I think I am gonna try some nice hiking boots and then get the aluminum bar cramp ons from Patagonia seems like it would be the answer 4 blue lining that way you could hike in your boots and just put the crampons on when you get in the water I'm certainly going to give it a try

Trophies are relative

Last edited by Dtroutmann; 03-12-16 at 10:07 PM.
Dtroutmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-16, 08:20 AM   #7
Ellicott
Native

I wouldn't want to hike any real distance in wet hiking boots. Sounds like a "blister"-ing experience.
Ellicott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-16, 10:44 PM   #8
chainshaw
Stocker

I am starting to wonder if the UA Speedfit Hiking Boot may work for double duty.
chainshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-16, 11:05 PM   #9
FlickNdip
Native

I will wear my Simms guide wading boots with rubber soles. I also have some keen closed toe sandals I wear hiking sometimes and kayaking.

Team Georgia Competitive Fly Fishing Team now has a Facebook Page and an Instagram Page . Check them out for great information, pictures and events!

New to fly fishing? Check out Monthlyfly.com For localized Match The Hatch Flies mailed to your door!
FlickNdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-16, 07:01 AM   #10
Counslrman
Hall of Fame Member

...maybe...??

http://chotaoutdoorgear.com/shop/foo...d-wading-shoe/

...Cath has a pair and loves them...I cannot "hike" anymore due to fatigue and congestive heart issues, but she and another gal from her bible study group hiked the Bartram Trail from Ben Russell bridge to Earl's ford and camped a night...they waded, bathed, fished , and had a blast with no blisters from hiking in these...

Blessings!

Jimmy
Counslrman is offline   Reply With Quote