NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Beyond Georgia
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-17, 11:02 AM   #1
gau16
Native

Default Buffalo Steel

Headed back home for Thanksgiving and of course I have to try and sneak in some fishn time.

I always like to post something here to hear any input and success or not I always like to conclude what happened when I get back to Atlanta.

Weather looks good for Friday morning when I plan to get out, creeks are high now after some rain but coming back down.

Have an 8lb leader ready and some 3x and 4x tippet on hand to try and get a steelhead or brown.

Planning on using some egg patterns along with WB and other 10/12 size flies.

Have a new Lamson reel with 7wt line on a 9wt rod. Throws fine as I tested it out last night. Tried to grab a new rod before I left but couldn't really get around to it. Lost a few eBay auctions.

Hope to follow this up with some great pics and some with fish in them!

Happy Thanksgiving
gau16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-17, 02:33 PM   #2
orey10m
Native

I'll be in Pittsburgh, trying to find my way north to some steelhead as well. I've got one day to fish (Friday) and dont know what I'm doing (as far as steelhead go).

mnigro on these forums lent me a bunch of flies so I hope to get to tangle with some. Best of Luck!
Old 11-20-17, 03:58 PM   #3
gau16
Native

I'll be out Friday, too!

I am going to be nymphing with a 2 fly rig. Probably a stone fly or WB as the top then dropped off to an egg to start. If that doesn't work I'll keep changing up.

Tight lines!
Old 11-20-17, 04:06 PM   #4
ChaChung
Native

Good luck Glenn. Hope you get a big one! Happy Thanksgiving!

Some days I'm the hook and some days I'm the fish.

Instagram @charles_the_toothsmith
ChaChung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-17, 09:01 PM   #5
gau16
Native

Thanks, Charles. Hope so! Happy thanksgiving to you, too.
Old 11-20-17, 10:48 PM   #6
JerryG
Native

Good luck man! I'm looking forward to hearing a trip report about all the monsters you catch!
JerryG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-17, 09:33 AM   #7
cristallo86
Native

Default White Zonker

I went steelhead fishing last year in ohio and this fly was killing it. Almost all the fly-fisherman I talked to stream side were using this fly somewhere in their rig. I used a heavy tungsten bead zonker as my point fly and an egg above it and the fish were honing in on the zonker exclusively. Try it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Axb8LBTLEg
cristallo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-17, 10:39 AM   #8
gau16
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryG View Post
Good luck man! I'm looking forward to hearing a trip report about all the monsters you catch!
Thanks, Jerry. Fingers crossed brother. Regardless, theres something special about being on my home water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristallo86 View Post
I went steelhead fishing last year in ohio and this fly was killing it. Almost all the fly-fisherman I talked to stream side were using this fly somewhere in their rig. I used a heavy tungsten bead zonker as my point fly and an egg above it and the fish were honing in on the zonker exclusively. Try it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Axb8LBTLEg
Ill check my box to see if I have something similar. I know I at least have a white WB.
Old 11-27-17, 04:14 PM   #9
gau16
Native

I always like to follow up on these reports... Fish or not.

Well, no fish.

Got out early Friday morning. Parking lot had a decent amount of cars in it for first light but the creek is also in a well known park so it may have been some hikers.

I have to say, it is a super pretty creek. Deep in a gorge, shale rock everywhere. The way the little pieces of shale all stack up after a high flow recedes is something special to see.

Would have taken more pics but my phone was on 10% after the GPS use during the commute. Should have known..

Tried everything on those steelhead. WB, Stones, Copper Johns, Eggs.. Nothing. Not even a sniff.

Only saw 1 fella the entire time even hook into one. He lost it.

I dont feel so bad because not like others were catching. But always a bummer when you know theyre in there. Lucky to get out.

I need to take a whole weekend and just go back up... I'll let you know!

Old 11-27-17, 07:21 PM   #10
jimbo
Native

Did you fish down by the mouth, next public access up by the old bridge, and the last access where you walk a quarter of a mile down to the creek.
jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote