NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Chattahoochee River
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-18, 04:13 PM   #1
jkwolek1971
Native

Default Mid-morning on the Hooch

Snuck out to hit the hooch mid morning. Took a little bit to find the right pattern but once I did it was on.. Caught both browns and bows for about an hour.. Then started noticing hits but nothing was there when I set the hook.. Turns out my hook broke off.. Must have missed ~5 or so fish.. Ugh... Tied another sz20 midge on in the same color and got a couple more.

I did manage to catch my biggest bow on my dry fly indicator.. . It was around 15inches or so.. No fight in it though.. It was very beat up.. The smaller bows fought harder..

I started euro nymphing but did not have any luck.. Switched over to dry drop and that was when the action started.. Stupid wind...

Joe.
jkwolek1971 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-18, 04:44 PM   #2
blue assassin
Stocker

thanks for the post. I am a newbie and could use some advice. I live and fish near Bowmans Island. I am starting to regularly catch small browns and bows. I normally use a dry fly indicator and then a heavier midge dropped about 4 feet.

I've had my most success with copper zebra midges. I've never had a fish hit the indicator.

Is my set up OK to catch some of the larger fish? or do I need to strip streamers, woolly buggers or other? thanks in advance!
blue assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-18, 04:46 PM   #3
blue assassin
Stocker

sorry if I should have posted this in the "tips" section.
blue assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-18, 04:49 PM   #4
Lumis
Native

I was going to go this morning and then I overslept! Twice in a row I've wanted to go in the morning and twice I've slept past my alarms.

I'm glad you had a good day. How bad was the wind? I thought about going around noon but was scared the wind would drag my indicator around too much.

Also, welcome blue assassin. I can't answer your question but surely others will soon
Lumis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-18, 04:51 PM   #5
jkwolek1971
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue assassin View Post
thanks for the post. I am a newbie and could use some advice. I live and fish near Bowmans Island. I am starting to regularly catch small browns and bows. I normally use a dry fly indicator and then a heavier midge dropped about 4 feet.

I've had my most success with copper zebra midges. I've never had a fish hit the indicator.

Is my set up OK to catch some of the larger fish? or do I need to strip streamers, woolly buggers or other? thanks in advance!
No worries.. Your dropper may be a little long but it all depends on the depth of the water.. I was using a sz20midge and a sz16 midge today and caught fish on both..

I am always around the dam. I usually go in around Haw Creek but sometimes go to the island. Just introduce yourself to any fly fisherman and your chances of running into me are pretty good.

Streamers are better in the Fall/Winter IMO...

Joe
Old 03-20-18, 05:08 PM   #6
jkwolek1971
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumis View Post
I was going to go this morning and then I overslept! Twice in a row I've wanted to go in the morning and twice I've slept past my alarms.

I'm glad you had a good day. How bad was the wind? I thought about going around noon but was scared the wind would drag my indicator around too much.

Also, welcome blue assassin. I can't answer your question but surely others will soon
Wind was non-existent to start but then kicked up around 11:30.....
Old 03-20-18, 07:48 PM   #7
Stinkbait
Native

Could you fish below Haw Creek today with the rain last night?
Stinkbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-18, 05:29 AM   #8
Big T
BOD HOF SSQTCH

The river was fine below Haw creek. It was super crowded for a Tuesday morning. Was it spring break at the old folks home? Hmmm...maybe not I didn't see RScott.

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-18, 10:02 AM   #9
Stinkbait
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big T View Post
It was super crowded for a Tuesday morning.
You've taught too many people how to catch fish at the dam in spite of most fish being at Island Ford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big T View Post
Was it spring break at the old folks home?
I resemble that comment
Stinkbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-18, 12:53 PM   #10
trout1980
Native

Thanks for the report
trout1980 is offline   Reply With Quote