NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Other NGTO Forums > Food & Cooking
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-17, 01:01 PM   #1
GoutUnlimited
Red Menace

Default Hog Maws

My former Chinese coworker that I still keep in touch with brought me some stir fry chitlins last week. Having had a bad experience with honeycomb tripe previously, I was very reluctant to try it. But I did. It wasn't bad and tasted like a fried calamar but the fact that it was fried I couldn't really tell if the breading was masking the taste or not. So, I decided to have a go at it.

This is not an expensive item so I bought enough to leave some room for error. Supposedly they came pre-cleaned but I did a thorough hosing. I sliced them up pretty thin fearing a gristly texture and into the oven for 2.5 hours. The smell that filled the kitchen was not one I had been acquainted with but not off putting. Once they came out, I mixed up with some cilantro and garlic and made a few dipping sauces. The best one of which consisted of soy sauce, sesame oil, green onion, hoisin, ginger and sugar.

For my first go,these came out great. No barnyard taste what so ever. The consistency was that of a nice al-dente papadel and not any lumpy chew that I was afraid off. They where pretty good at room temp and when they get cold they get a nice little gelatin forming around them. I tried reheating them again since I made so much...this is when they start to harden. So cold or right out the oven is the way to go. Next time I do these I'm thinking about maybe making a pasta with a nice gravy.

And sitting by desolate streams;
World losers and world forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams.
GoutUnlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-17, 04:57 PM   #2
REDTOP
Hall Of Fame Member, Moderator

Looks good! I'd certainly try it!