NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Chattahoochee River
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-18, 06:02 PM   #1
Sighter
NGTO Instagram Controller

Default The Learning Never Stops

Hello NGTO,

Another impromptu trip came along yesterday as I received a text from Philhutch around 4pm asking if I wanted to meet him at the boat ramp for a day of fishing. Well... I immediately shut my test prep book, geared up, and battled I-85 rush hour to get there on time. Once there, Phil and I exchanged greetings and made our way up the river. I actually have never fished with Phil, though we did meet each other a couple of times on the river. Early in the trip, it was already evident that we'd get along just fine

The day was perfect, overcast and cool. We did get rained on pretty hard for 5 minutes, it's collisions magnified by the velocity the outboard motor provided. Thankfully, the rain did not last long. However, once it stopped, we witnessed a swarm of little birds swooping above the water, picking off insects that we could not yet see. When we reached the swarm, it began. A barrage of tiny cream midges pelted our faces like microscopic pieces of hail. Thankfully, I was wearing a hat and tilted my head down to use the brim as an improvised bugshield, which worked swimmingly. Another 100 yards up and the motor puttered to a stop. Phil announced the long awaited, "Let's fish!".

I did have my Gopro strapped on, but I forgot that I didn't clear out the memory on it, so when I eventually hooked up with my first fish, the display flashed, "Memory Storage Full". Bummer... regardless, I was ecstatic to get the skunk out of the way early. This was after I received some instruction from Phil as I had pretty limited experience on this stretch of river, or fishing from a vessel other than my canoe. 5/5 Excellent guide, would recommend I snapped a shot of the brown on my rapidly dying phone and quickly let him free. Phil also caught a nice sized brown shortly after, no skunks here!

We proceeded to regularly net fish, lose fish, and converse our way down the Hooch. Unfortunately, we had a pretty late start to the day and dusk was soon approaching. In our last run, I was intently watching my line when I heard Phil excitedly exclaim, "C'mon, take it! TAKE IT!". Just as I turned my head to see what was going on, a shout erupted with a whooping, "FISH ON! He's a nice one!!". Immediately releasing my rod, I scrambled and acquired the net while Phil began working the fish. I witnessed solid gold streaks undulating within the olive depths, highlighted by the lavender reflections of a Spring sunset. "Don't mess up I thought", tightening my grip on the cool steel handle. The slight worry that I'd botch the net job and leave a terrible impression nagged me no matter how much I wanted to focus on the task at hand. "Closer, closer, WOW HE'S HUGE, closer, not now he's moving too much and far too deep....Focus!" unexpectedly it shot to the surface, and in a flash I dove the mesh under its writhing body. I beheld a beautiful brown close to 20 inches! After a few quick photos and excited exclamations, we witnessed him dive back into the depths, back to the lair in which he called home.

Motoring back to the ramp in the rapidly fading light, we arrived just as darkness enveloped our surroundings. After helping Phil load his boat, we said our farewells along with congratulations on a good day. Hopping back in my car, I couldn't help but smile. I didn't catch the fish, but I learned their habits, areas in which they lie, and the techniques that usually have the most success. These were things I had good knowledge on before, but to have someone provide some guidance and make sense of how they intertwine made things click... and the numbers showed it. This is when true learning happens, and I had Phil to thank for such an insight.

Cracking open my test prep book, I resumed my studies: Carbohydrate Metabolism and the Citric Acid Cycle. I've regurgitated this countless times for my Introductory Biology class in the past, but this time, I appreciated the intricate connections between it and other subjects such as Organic Chemistry, Physics, and Biochemistry. Just memorizing concepts and names gets you by, but understanding the big picture is where true appreciation and learning resides. Albeit, this is a highly specific example, but I am sure y'all have experienced a similar situation. Ultimately, the learning never stops, and neither should you.

Thanks for reading guys, and as always...

Tight Lines!

-Sighter.

Last edited by Sighter; 04-07-18 at 07:14 PM.
Sighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-18, 06:05 AM   #2
GoutUnlimited
Red Menace

Did Phil tempt you with one of his exotic teas? Do not tune in or turn on.....if you’re reading thi....
And sitting by desolate streams;
World losers and world forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams.
GoutUnlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-18, 10:01 AM   #3
jonmo
Native

Great story, and pic's sighter..Thanks for sharing!

Doc
jonmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-18, 12:49 PM   #4
Sighter

Haha Greg I dont know if he brought any tea, but if it helped him catch that brown I might consider it lol

Jonmo, thank you for the reply and kind words, I appreciate it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-09-18, 08:40 AM   #5
ChaChung
Native

Man... Beautiful fish and great story. Good net job buddy.

Some days I'm the hook and some days I'm the fish.

Instagram @charles_the_toothsmith
ChaChung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-18, 10:37 AM   #6
eyeflyfish
Native

Question Microbiology

Sighter,
I'm spending some time now learning how ROCK inhibitors improve performance of cyclin D and suppresses p27kip1, along with amniotic membrane transplantation will repopulate endothelial cells.

Will this help me catch fish?
eyeflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-18, 11:00 AM   #7
Philhutch80
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoutUnlimited View Post
Did Phil tempt you with one of his exotic teas? Do not tune in or turn on.....if you’re reading thi....
Greg, Lapsang Suchong. Boom.

John, that trip was a blast! I always learn so much from being on the river. I found out we made the wise decision to go upstream as Alex told me the section he fished was pretty turbid while we had nearly gin clear water to work with.
I was glad to have seen you so stoked and bag so many fish! Your fish seemed to come in clumps. I think mine did as well but I cannot recall completely. Apparently the bite carried over to saturday morning as well!!! We will have to do it again soon sir! Well done!

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
-Chinese Proverb

“At sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.”
-Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
-PH
Philhutch80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-18, 12:47 PM   #8
browniez
NGTO Hall of Fame

The turbid stuff fished well too. I just didn't.

I swear I have never had more SLAMMIN takes that I couldn't keep pinned than on Friday.
Old 04-09-18, 01:11 PM   #9
Sighter

Thank you Charles! Haven't seen you out on the water in forever, though that vacation looked way better than anything I've been up to!

eyeflyfish, I have no idea if it will help you secure the bag, but I'm sure that willingness to learn and understand complex processes can be applied to fishing!

Phil, it looks like we had good decisions all around that day! Things worked out, and you're right, they were clumped up for me at least. I think yours came a bit more sporadically, but they always out-lengthed mine Yes, I am stoked for another chance!

Alex, we experienced similar results. Fish on, then fish off within 5 seconds. Frustrating stuff, but at least it was affirmation that they were liking what they were seeing.
Old 04-09-18, 03:03 PM   #10
Philhutch80
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by browniez View Post
The turbid stuff fished well too. I just didn't.

I swear I have never had more SLAMMIN takes that I couldn't keep pinned than on Friday.
That is right. You mentioned that when we talked too. Lots has happened since friday, lol. I was having that issue several trips out.

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
-Chinese Proverb

“At sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.”
-Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
-PH
Philhutch80 is offline   Reply With Quote