NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Welcome to NGTO > Events & Happenings
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-18, 02:10 PM   #1
random_lengths
Native

Default 2018 Rabun Rendezvous!

The Rabun Chapter of Trout Unlimited proudly presents A Celebration of Rivers, Streams, Trout, and Trout Fishing. Please Join Us for the 31st Annual Rabun Rendezvous.

When: Saturday, January 20, 2018

Where: The “NEW” Dillard House Conference Center, located behind the Dillard House in Dillard, Georgia.

Who: The more the better. Everyone interested in protecting cold-water resources, and their families, friends, and all who love clean cold streams, trout, and trout fishing.

Social: About 5 o’clock PM folks will start gathering to “pick the pig” and enjoy the rocking chairs on the porch of the Conference Center. There will be snack trays of cheeses, crackers, veggies with dips and fruits. Soft drinks and ice will be available. If you want something stronger, better bring it yourself. (BYOB) There will also be a fire inside to warm your buns. The Foxfire Boys, with their famous Blue Grass Music, will begin at 5 pm.

Dinner: Fish, Chicken and Pork with all the side dishes and desserts that have made the Dillard House so famous, will be served about 6:30. It is a serve yourself buffet, so you will not leave hungry.

Cost: $35 for adults. $25 for those under the age of 15. Cash, checks, VISA or MasterCard. We don’t do advanced tickets, just pay at the door.

Lodging: The Dillard House has set special rates for rooms starting at $79 (plus tax) for those that call and tell them you’re attending the Trout Unlimited Rabun Rendezvous. Call: 706-746-5348 or Toll Free 1-800-541-0671.

Program Presenter: Jim Casada is a son of the Smokies. Jim grew up in Bryson City, NC and cut his sporting teeth hunting and fishing in and around this small western North Carolina town. Jim says “a corner of my heart” still belongs to the high country. Jim is well educated holding a B.A, in history, an M.A. in British History and a Ph.D. in British imperial history. Jim taught history at Winthrop University in Rock Hill, SC, where he still lives. Jim retired in 1996 to pursue a full-time freelance writer / photographer career. Jim holds many honors from his teaching profession as well as multiple honors from his writing career, is an Honorary Life Member and recipient of the Arnold Gingrich Memorial Award of the Federation of Fly Fishers, inaugural inductee into the Fly Fishing Museum of the Southern Appalachians Hall of Fame, just to name a few. You can learn more about Jim Casada by visiting his webpage at the following: http://jimcasadaoutdoors.com, you. Better yet, come spend an evening with the Rabunites and meet and hear Jim in person.

It’ll be a great time!
random_lengths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-18, 07:57 AM   #2
random_lengths
Native

bumping up... You are invited to the Rabun Rendezvous: the trout fishing event of the year for Georgia!
Old 01-09-18, 12:37 PM   #3
Trouter23
Native

I'll for sure be there. Even if I hated fishing, I'd go just for the feast.
Old 01-11-18, 03:33 PM   #4
random_lengths
Native

This is just a start.... click here to see some of the auction items at the Rendezvous. Much more to come!!

https://www.facebook.com/rabuntu/pos...55168329676778
Old 01-12-18, 07:59 AM   #5
bozosnightmare
Stocker

Such an awesome event. If you haven't been, or are considering going, you should. Took the wife and made a weekend out of it. Met lots of great folks, good food, super location and won several items I "needed" in the silent auction. Fished the day after before making the drive back to ATL.

With that many fellow fishermen is one spot you can't help but pick up several tidbits to file away for next time you're on the water.

If you enjoy guided trips there were several that sold for very, very reasonable prices. We even won a chance to fish with Jeff Durniak at Nacoochee Bend that was amazing.

All that AND it's a for a good cause. Hard to beat that combination.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bozosnightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-18, 08:12 AM   #6
splatek16

I second all of what @Bozosnightmare said...

Totally rad event! The people are great liars, I mean people... who know a lot about fishing, particularly in those watersheds up in the N. East of the state. The food was incredible; the raffles.... oh the raffles! There were so many items in hindsight I felt like I should've bid on, including a few guided trips and tying materials. My GF still makes fun of me... "How much did those feathers cost?" "Could've gotten about 100 times more for less at the RR!" UGH, I hate it when she's correct.

I sorta lost track of time this year, but my GF was like, "When's the Rendezvous?" Guys, she doesn't fish and still had fun hanging out listening to a bunch of really young anglers (haha) talk about their stories and conservation.

Unfortunately, I don't think I am going to make it back this year because of the Gold Cup, but I am certainly going to try.

If you haven't been, go. Even if you don't make a weekend out of it (Which I would highly recommend because there are a ton of great streams around there and if the weather keeps on keeping on, they'll be hungry after the freeze), go for the day/evening; Eat well. Meet, talk, pick the brains of some of the anglers that have been fishing these waters for a long time and are way more willing to share a little inside knowledge in person than in email, phone, or on some old message board (LOL). You'll be surprised at how many people you will "know" once they reveal their NGTO call name.

Great event! Get there! Food, fishing, raffles, and conservation! Isn't that what we are all about?!
splatek16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-18, 12:06 PM   #7
FishWillie
Native

Thanks Steve, Now it will be easier and cheaper for me to acquire all the fly tying materials ... Will ...,...see you all there
FishWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-18, 06:34 PM   #8
Big Browns
Native

Can we get a bump for this great event! There will be plenty of goods to be had folks....with something for every type of angler!

My biggest worry is that when I'm dead my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it. ~Koos Brandt

Big Browns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-18, 08:47 PM   #9
Trouter23
Native

Here are just a few of the awesome prizes that will be there.

Dredger's waterproof fiver bass box, tied by Dredger himself:

One night stay in three-bedroom cottage at Dukes Creek with TWO days of fishing in Sections 1 and 0!

Two night stay at Unicoi Lodge:

Last edited by Trouter23; 01-13-18 at 08:55 PM.
Trouter23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-18, 10:44 PM   #10
splatek16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishWillie View Post
Thanks Steve, Now it will be easier and cheaper for me to acquire all the fly tying materials ... Will ...,...see you all there
Ah, not so fast, my friend: turns out I don't know how to read this thing they call a ... cal-endar...? Ever heard of it? Well I had a few dates mixed up; if I can get my truck out of the shop and convince my kid that hanging out with a bunch of old people that like to fish would be a kick a** time, I'll be there.
splatek16 is online now   Reply With Quote