NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Gear Talk > Rod Building
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-12, 06:49 PM   #1
fishinbub
Hall of Fame Member

Default Just for RScott...

I've had to thin down my rod collection since I went off to school. At the time of the Dukes comp a few weeks ago I had an 8' 6" 5wt graphite rod and a 7' 6" 6wt glass rod. When I went to rig up, one of the sections of my plastic rod was missing, so I was down to a beat up old glass rod. Luckily RScott had an extra rod and was gracious enough to let me use it. So after hearing a "few" jokes at the comp about not being able to build/find a serviceable fly rod, I took the chance this week to add a little depth to my lineup. I found my missing rod section, fixed my 5' rod, refinished an 8' cane rod, grabbed my 8' 6" heddon from home, and then to top it all off I bought a cheap 9' 4/5wt blank from Anglers Roost.

The blank cost $30, and came with a rod sock. I finished it off with a $3 cork grip and $8 black hardware/wood insert reel seat I bought on closeout from utmost, $.85 black single foot guides, and a $.35 gold stripping guide. The wrap color is mocha, with gold trim wraps at the ferrules and a really simple gold/mocha decorative wrap at the butt. I finished the wraps with 5 minute epoxy. It's not ideal, but it was the best I could get a hold of in a pinch and it actually works a lot better than you'd expect. It took me maybe 2 hrs to build this one.

The right flies at the right time: Monthly Fly
fishinbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-12, 07:05 PM   #2
2fly
Ex-BOD, Hall Of Fame Member, Ex-Angler

Sam, when are you going to build the 10' rod? You know you want to do it.
2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-12, 07:42 PM   #3
fishinbub
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fly View Post
Sam, when are you going to build the 10' rod? You know you want to do it.
A 10'er is on the waiting list, but every time it gets near the top something else takes priority. Right now it looks like I've got a couple of cane rods and a glass rod before I can get to the 10'er. Besides, my rod of preference is only half that length, so I doubt I'd use it much...

Old 11-24-12, 08:51 PM   #4
2fly
Ex-BOD, Hall Of Fame Member, Ex-Angler

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinbub View Post
A 10'er is on the waiting list, but every time it gets near the top something else takes priority. Right now it looks like I've got a couple of cane rods and a glass rod before I can get to the 10'er. Besides, my rod of preference is only half that length, so I doubt I'd use it much...
I don't know man, seems like you were enjoying yourself comp fishing.
2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-12, 10:04 PM   #5
fishinbub
Hall of Fame Member

One day I'm gonna fish a comp with my 5' cane rod, just because. Maybe Ben will schedule a Smith DH comp sometime soon.

Old 11-25-12, 06:58 AM   #6
RScott
Ex-President, Victim of the Cajun Rebellion

Good one Sam, always take a gun to a knife fight and TWO rods (at least 9') to a Competition, not to mention a sandwich, a bottle of water....

Support the Mission Statement - buy the TU License Plate!

RScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-12, 09:30 AM   #7
Mog
Hall of Fame Member

Good lookin' rod there, 'bub. You probably know this but the open spiral wrap you did is called a high heel wrap.
Old 11-25-12, 01:01 PM   #8
fishinbub
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mog View Post
Good lookin' rod there, 'bub. You probably know this but the open spiral wrap you did is called a high heel wrap.
Thanks. I actually didn't have a clue what it was called. I just knew it was an easy wrap and adds a little color to the rod. For my next build I want to research some of the different wrap patterns. Am I gonna have a problem trying to do decorative wraps with a jig?

Scott, I've got the 8' 6" rod I can use as a backup, and I think the 8' South Bend is gonna be my dry/dropper rod, just so I can say I fish boo in comps...