NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > NGTO Fishing Forums > Ask the Experts
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-18, 03:07 PM   #1
Buckheadflyfisher
Native

Default Lanier help

Hey guys Iíve fished Lanier hard the past two days and have had zero look finding fish Iíve been mostly all over looking for birds and bait in all sections of creeks and have found some birds but nothing like i should be, does anyone have any advice that could help me out? Not looking for spots, just some advice on what to look for when Iím out there. We had success last year but my first couple trips out in 2018 have been really frustrating. Feel free to pm me and good luck out there, thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Buckheadflyfisher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-18, 03:49 PM   #2
Trout8myfly
Past Director, Hall of Fame Member

One way to learn is to hook up with someone such as Henry Cowen who runs fly trips on Lake Lanier for stripers. Here's a video from his web site, and which also shows how the big stripes slam the water from below:

https://vimeo.com/channels/149130/16960942
Trout8myfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-18, 04:30 PM   #3
groundpounder
Hall of Fame Member, Former Director

Its just being a really tough Winter bite but doable. You basically have to fish with a graph now. Fish I'm finding are 20-50 ft down. Casting a fast sink line and counting to 40 before you start your retrieve. Your burning a lot of gas searching and a lot of time counting down between casts. Its not the fast paced top water bite that your use to.
groundpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-18, 04:56 PM   #4
Buckheadflyfisher
Native

Thanks guys Iím out now and finally found a few fish on some bait but youíre right groundpounder, they were deep and not very tightly schooled up

Old 01-12-18, 03:40 PM   #5
henryc
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckheadflyfisher View Post
Hey guys I’ve fished Lanier hard the past two days and have had zero look finding fish I’ve been mostly all over looking for birds and bait in all sections of creeks and have found some birds but nothing like i should be, does anyone have any advice that could help me out?

BHFF,

Info already given out is pretty good advise but might I suggest you come to the Atlanta Fly Fishing Show on Feb 3 (Sat) and sit in on my presentation of fly fishing for stripers. It's a pretty decent power point presentation that allows for Q&A time to help answer any questions. My focus is on teaching folks how to catch these things (especially when they are not on top). That is what separates the men from the boys in the sodium free game... I know this to be true because even Skibum can "on occasion" catch one without following Fishmonger...

Henry
henryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-18, 05:09 PM   #6
Buckheadflyfisher
Native

Thanks for the heads up Henry I wish I could attend, but Iíll be back at school at the U of SC by then, but Iím trying to get my dad to go, about what time will you be giving this presentation?

Old 01-14-18, 09:44 AM   #7
henryc
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckheadflyfisher View Post
Iím trying to get my dad to go, about what time will you be giving this presentation?

Sat @ 1:30pm
henryc is offline   Reply With Quote