NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > N. Georgia Small Streams--Trout Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-18, 08:40 PM   #11
jdflyfch
Native

Send a message via AIM to jdflyfch
Default Chatt WMA

Had a pretty good weekend out there, but I am still trying to perfect my craft on small streams. Caught probably 10 of these guys over the weekend:

Caught two nice 10-12" Browns Friday evening when I got there.

Gem came today. Wanted to hit one more spot on the way out. Girlfriend and dog obliged and came with me. Told myself I had not caught anything the whole weekend that I needed my net for, so I left it in the truck. Let's just say I won't do that again. Ever.

Had been fishing a stimulator with either a prince or hares ear trailing all weekend. Switching things up here and there occasionally. But most of my luck was on the price and caught quite a few (and missed quite a lot) on the stimulator. I had bent the barb down on this particular stimulator last year. Honestly did not expect to pick up near as many as I did over the weekend on it. More used as a good indicator/wake up call.

So after bringing another fingerling to hand on the prince, and missing a couple on the stimi, was almost ready to pack up and head home.

Next cast to the seam of a run on a deep hole and I saw a nice silver shape emerge from the deep headed right for the stimulator. Well, a nice 14-15" rainbow was ready to give my 3 wt a workout. There was a lot of swift water so I continued to try and move him to the shallow water. Finally got him to hand. Lucky to even get him there. Of course with the barbless stimi, as soon as the pressure was off it, it was out. So I was struggling to get him to somewhere where I could safely hold him to get a picture. And in the midst of keeping the dog from getting at him and getting herself hooked as well, he gave one last final head shake, and out of my hand he came. He was on some shallow rocks and I did all I could to trap him there, but he was ready to go back home.

Stood there silent for a few minutes until I began the up and down berating of myself that I deserved for leaving my net behind.

Was very sad that I did not get a picture, but at the same time very proud I got him to hand on a barbless stimi and no net. At least I had a witness with the girlfriend, but everyone will tell me that doesn't count 😂

But my biggest fish on that stretch by far and I was pumped. So much more water to explore there though. Will be back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jdflyfch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-18, 02:02 PM   #12
Trout Hunter 18
Native

Sounds like a great trip. I did the exact same thing on the Tallulah River on Saturday. Caught a 15 inch bow and took the fly out. Went to lift him to take a picture and he shook and back in the water he went. Never caught a Speck before. They sound like very aggressive little trout.
Trout Hunter 18 is offline   Reply With Quote