NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Chattahoochee River
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-18, 12:07 AM   #11
Philhutch80
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbum69 View Post
Or just let it build up right at the dam another foot and boom! Perfect solar farm location haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This made me laugh a lot as well, lol.

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
-Chinese Proverb

“At sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.”
-Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
-PH
Philhutch80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-18, 08:30 PM   #12
UncleJesse
Native

That is where the river is the widest and therefore, the slowest water flows. The silt settles out when the water is not moving it along. I will always remember going to Jones Bridge Park back in 1992 with my visiting relatives. The river was muddy, but a older local told us, "It's only muddy on the top" we baited up and caught a bunch of trout on the bottom. The 8 - 10 years of lousy economic we recently experienced probably help it not to be worse as not many were building houses or commercial building during that time.
Old 10-13-18, 08:32 PM   #13
Aardvark
Native

All of that silt has who knows what in the way of hazardous materials in it. There may not be a good way to clean out Bull Sluice that would not stir up all of that mess. Even leaving the turbines going to flush out a channel would release polluted runoff in the DH and beyond.
Aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-18, 02:04 AM   #14
troutbum69
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardvark View Post
All of that silt has who knows what in the way of hazardous materials in it. There may not be a good way to clean out Bull Sluice that would not stir up all of that mess. Even leaving the turbines going to flush out a channel would release polluted runoff in the DH and beyond.

True but rivers bring sediment downstream. Eventually enough sediment is going to build up and cause the water to overflow the dam. Or, most likely, we(taxpayers) will deal with the issue. We know what will happen if we do nothing. But how long we wait or how little we do to mitigate the issue is the only thing to talk about. I'd bet the few little side lakes off bull sluice filled with solar farms would make up the power lost from removing Morgan falls. It's just one of those things that we're going to have to deal with eventually. Like it or not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Stop Whining"
troutbum69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-18, 07:33 AM   #15
jimbo
Native

The river from Settles Bridge to Morgan falls has become a settlement basin since the five sand dredging operations have stopped. Sand dredging operations approximately one mile above McGinnis Ferry, Temporary dredge above Mcginnis Road where boat ramp is now, 700 feet above Rogers Bridge, one below Rodgers bridge where tubers enter the river, and one below 400 bridge below the bend in the river.
jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-18, 09:46 AM   #16
UpstateFishing
Native

It's very silty between Holcomb and Island Ford as well.
UpstateFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-18, 06:00 PM   #17
davgin
Stocker

Excellent documented data on the Chattahoochee river channel and the effects of sediment from Island Ford to Morgan Falls. I agree that the build up is mostly due to the sand dredgers closing shop. I wonder how bad it has to get before the flow rate is really impacted. There are many threats to the Chattahoochee and I think that this is one that will not go away without some intervention.
davgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-18, 08:13 AM   #18
huntfish
Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE EG View Post
The build up of silt and sand at Azalea Drive is the reason we moved the NGTO Kid's Fishing Day to Holcomb Bridge about ten years ago. We noticed over a number of years no kids were catching fish (where they had before) and as the water was only about a foot deep at that point, we figured when the trout were stocked they would swim off to parts unknown, probably to look for deeper water.

I think the ending of much of the sand dredging on the river probably is a component, if not the major reason.

https://www.ajc.com/news/local/commu...EBBytjppxf1tO/
You also had another sand operation just north of McGinnis Ferry Road that is no longer operating.
huntfish is offline   Reply With Quote