NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > NGTO Fishing Forums > General Information
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-18, 02:54 PM   #11
I_got_skunked
Native

Just some thoughts as I read through HB 332:
- reallocation of taxes is from those under the tax classification for "sporting goods stores". I wonder if that's an opening for tennis parks, baseball, etc. based on conservation listing a number of activities, but also the vague "and other such activities"
- "moneys shall be made available in each fiscal year for grants to...nongovernmental entity" this is a trigger for me. The clear intent is to support things like AT conservancy, TU stream improvement projects, etc. The reality is sloppy wording like this results in funding leaking to individuals for their own gain. Argue that vs government bureaucracy and you'll go nowhere, I'm just pointing it out.
- 12-6A-7: sure seems like this could result in developers seeking funds from the trust for mixed use developments to offset costs for more responsible development. Again, not the intent, but...
- BOTs is basically the directors of the various state agencies. I don't see where trout stream interests are specifically represented or opposed.
- 12-6A-10(d) very nice
- section 2 kind of partially answers EG's question on where the funding comes from. Georgia land conservation trust fund and revolving loan fund. I'm not familiar enough with how those were previously funded.

Warning: all posts should be assumed to contain sarcasm and misinformation unless stated otherwise. The opinions shared are not necessarily those of the poster.
I_got_skunked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:19 PM   #12
THE EG
CFO, HoF Member, Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_got_skunked View Post
I would think it boils down to whether you have more faith in the intentions of the trustees or of politicians who can be more directly held accountable for their actions through voting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_got_skunked View Post
Just some thoughts as I read through HB 332:
- reallocation of taxes is from those under the tax classification for "sporting goods stores". I wonder if that's an opening for tennis parks, baseball, etc. based on conservation listing a number of activities, but also the vague "and other such activities"
- "moneys shall be made available in each fiscal year for grants to...nongovernmental entity" this is a trigger for me. The clear intent is to support things like AT conservancy, TU stream improvement projects, etc. The reality is sloppy wording like this results in funding leaking to individuals for their own gain. Argue that vs government bureaucracy and you'll go nowhere, I'm just pointing it out.
- 12-6A-7: sure seems like this could result in developers seeking funds from the trust for mixed use developments to offset costs for more responsible development. Again, not the intent, but...
- BOTs is basically the directors of the various state agencies. I don't see where trout stream interests are specifically represented or opposed.
- 12-6A-10(d) very nice
- section 2 kind of partially answers EG's question on where the funding comes from. Georgia land conservation trust fund and revolving loan fund. I'm not familiar enough with how those were previously funded.
Yep.

Here is the bill on which the amendment is derived.

http://www.legis.ga.gov/Legislation/20172018/178961.pdf

And here is an article in GON also supporting the amendment.

https://www.gon.com/news/yes-vote-amendment-1

Bill Shipp 20 or 30 years ago used to rail about this type of thing being a shadow government because politicians could use it for their own benefit. In this day and age of the computer, internet, and instant information, that is much harder to do. As an example, you never hear many complaints about the Georgia Mountains Regional Commission or the North Georgia Mountain Authority any more.

Watkins should be happy about this part, "12-6A-5. 83 (b) Such funds shall not lapse to the general fund".

And Sections 2 and 3 do seem to describe the funding.

SECTION 2.
The Georgia Outdoor Stewardship Trust Fund established by this chapter shall be a successor to the former Georgia Land Conservation Trust Fund and the Georgia Land Conservation Revolving Loan Fund. On July 1, 2019, all funds in the Georgia Land Conservation Trust Fund and the Georgia Land Conservation Revolving Loan Fund shall be transferred into the Georgia Outdoor Stewardship Trust Fund.

SECTION 3.
This Act shall become effective on July 1, 2019, only if an amendment to the Constitution authorizing the General Assembly to provide by law for allocation of up to 80 percent of the revenue derived from the state sales and use tax collected by establishments classified under the 2007 North American Industry Classification Code 451110, sporting goods stores, to a trust fund to be used for the protection of conservation land is ratified by the voters at the November, 2018, state-wide general election. If such an amendment is not so ratified, then this Act shall not become effective and shall stand repealed on January 1, 2019.

SECTION 4.
All laws and parts of laws in conflict with this Act are repealed.
Old Yesterday, 02:53 PM   #13
Jimmy Harris
Hall of Fame Member, NGTO Sponsor

Here's a good article in Georgia Trend about Amendment 1. Answers a lot of questions.
Jimmy Harris is offline   Reply With Quote