NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > North Georgia Rivers--Trout Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-18, 02:12 PM   #1
ScottD
Stocker

Default Horseshoe this past weekend.

Funny that I didn't see the post before I went this weekend but managed a good day anyway.

This was my first trip to Horseshoe or the Tailwater part of the Toccoa anyway.

I will have to plan better next time. I fished for about four hours and caught six or seven. Next time bring water bottle, sun screen. Had both in the car but was having too much fun to stop and go back.

Fished my 5wt with a hopper/dropper of sorts. Here is a pic.

This hopper is one I am going to call the Boeing 747. Last time I used a hopper in fast water and it wouldn't float my dropper which was larger and heavy. This time I tied this hopper with a layer of EVA foam. It will float the Titanic but casting it is like learning to fly a droan. A gust of wind will put it into the back of your head or at least 30 feet from target.

The dropper is a 16 or 18 Rainbow warrior with a wrap of greenish flash. I used Salmon color ice dubbing most of which is gone and the pheasant tail that is left looks like it has been pulled out a little. It is a little ragged and the hopper is missing a leg. Only one strike on the hopper, must have been a fish that finally wanted to try eating a tuber.

I only fished about 50 yards of the river as it was busy and I picked a spot and picked it apart. Had most of my luck after the tubers arrived and mostly along the shade on the far side. Never more than one fish in a spot. I wonder if the activity in the river stirs up food? Here is a pic of one - I will have to get better at photos. I think I finished with 6 or 7 ..lost count.

Overall I had a great trip. Talking to the tubers was fun. I only got one dirty look from a mom when I told her kid I had only caught three sharks so far. Later in the afternoon the live music started up...what a blast.

Thanks for all the info you guys share. It really made for a great day.
ScottD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-18, 06:59 PM   #2
Prowler
Native, aka Tooga Prowler

Glad you were able to get out and have a good day. Horseshoe can be really good at times and it's very easy wading. Makes for a relaxing afternoon most days of the tubers stay at a manageable number lol

------Team Norvise------
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-18, 07:37 PM   #3
lot69
Native

anyone know why blue ridge
is slucing
lot69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-18, 07:41 PM   #4
lot69
Native

never mind