NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > N. Georgia Small Streams--Trout Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-18, 03:25 PM   #1
fishbum
Native

Default DUKES June Flood Limitations

William Wagner, General Manager of Smithgall Woods State Park, asked me to post the below notice regarding Dukes Creek fishing. Details about this limiting process should be available by calling Dukes reservations at 706-878-3087.

"Due to June floods,the interior of Smithgall Woods will be a construction zone and off limits until roughly 12/1. During this time, the park will only be able to take five reservations per fishing day and permit fishing in Section 1 only."

Fishbum
fishbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-18, 07:57 PM   #2
Swamp Angel
President

Thanks, fb. Iíll see about getting this posted on our Facebook page as well.
Good work!
If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.
Swamp Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-18, 02:17 AM   #3
baldea
BOD, Hall of Fame

Wonder if there is an opportunity to help with some stream restoration?

Want to Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes? Buy a TU license Plate!

baldea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-18, 07:07 AM   #4
Big T
BOD HOF SSQTCH

I recently did a presentation to the Gold Rush TU chapter and one of the members is on the BOD for "Friends of Smithgall/Woods". I let him know that NGTO would be happy to try and organize a workforce when the time comes for that and he said he would get in touch. Hopefully it is something we can do.

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-18, 01:03 PM   #5
Killer Kyle
Native

I believe a lot of the work being done is roadwork and culverts. I haven't taken a look recently but could easily imagine some of the stream structures were damaged. I know one culvert was blown completely out of place and down river and was never found. It could be in Lake Lanier right now.

Those rains we had were absolutely no joke. I think Sautee Nacoochee recorded +-9" of rain in 24 hrs. The Chattahoochee river was out of its banks in a lot of places, and in a way such as I have never seen it. It blew away all the old log jams, and made new ones. Blew away all my favorite logs to sit on by the river, and put new ones in other places.

I talked to the old Area Manager for Chattahoochee WMA who managed it in the early 80's and into the 90's a while back. He is from White County. Mark Turner. He said the last time he remembered seeing the river like that was in 1953!

I see the maintenance guys at Smithgall with fair regularity. I'll try and talk to them this week and see if I can get detailed information on the work being done. I'll let you guys know what I find out as soon as I know something.
Killer Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote