NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > NGTO Fishing Forums > General Information
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-18, 08:44 PM   #1
I_got_skunked
Native

Default Recs for easy speck stream

I need to find a smaller stream to take my old rickety self to. I always gets frustrated on the streams I know because I can only wade 10 feet before the rhodo gets so thick I can't stand up so I can only fish 10% of the river. I'm not looking for someone’s honey hole, just somewhere easily wadable and that’s relatively easy to access (less than a mile easyish hike from parking). Also, not looking for trophies, but REALLY want to harvest something for the grill.

Worth a try, right?

Warning: all posts should be assumed to contain sarcasm and misinformation unless stated otherwise. The opinions shared are not necessarily those of the poster.
I_got_skunked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-18, 06:12 PM   #2
buckman1
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_got_skunked View Post
I need to find a smaller stream to take my old rickety self to. I always gets frustrated on the streams I know because I can only wade 10 feet before the rhodo gets so thick I can't stand up so I can only fish 10% of the river. I'm not looking for someone’s honey hole, just somewhere easily wadable and that’s relatively easy to access (less than a mile easyish hike from parking). Also, not looking for trophies, but REALLY want to harvest something for the grill.

Worth a try, right?
If by ‘specks’ you are referring to southern Appalachian brook trout, there are not too many places in Georgia that are very easy. Easy being penetrating rhode, climbing a rugged stream gradient, walking a good ways, etc... in places there is easy to access holes, such as at culverts or stream fords.

If by your description you are referring to easy to access small streams to catch some trout for the grill, such as stockers, I’d refer you to the Dredger report. There are several small streams he mentioned last Friday that are easy to access, and have plenty of fish to wrap bacon around.
buckman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-18, 09:23 PM   #3
I_got_skunked
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman1 View Post
If by ‘specks’ you are referring to southern Appalachian brook trout, there are not too many places in Georgia that are very easy. Easy being penetrating rhode, climbing a rugged stream gradient, walking a good ways, etc... in places there is easy to access holes, such as at culverts or stream fords.

If by your description you are referring to easy to access small streams to catch some trout for the grill, such as stockers, I’d refer you to the Dredger report. There are several small streams he mentioned last Friday that are easy to access, and have plenty of fish to wrap bacon around.
Oh, I'm just trying to mess around and get some brookie streams PMed to me. High gradient sounds excellent so long as it isn't rhodo hell. Much easier to climb with my MCL sprain than crouch.

Warning: all posts should be assumed to contain sarcasm and misinformation unless stated otherwise. The opinions shared are not necessarily those of the poster.
I_got_skunked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-18, 10:21 AM   #4
Speck
Hall of Fame Member, Moderator

Follower of Christ
Pursuer of trout
-------------------------------------------------
"Your genuine action will explain itself and will explain your other genuine actions. Your conformity explains nothing." -- Emerson
Speck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-18, 10:36 AM   #5
fishinbub
Hall of Fame Member

Hood Cr, Panther Cr, and the creek out in the parking lot of the Clayton McDonalds

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

The right flies at the right time: Monthly Fly
fishinbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-18, 05:58 PM   #6
buckman1
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinbub View Post
Hood Cr, Panther Cr, and the creek out in the parking lot of the Clayton McDonalds

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk
I forgot about the McSpeck stream in Clayton. Because of the constant sunlight, those fish have magnificent coloration.
buckman1 is offline   Reply With Quote