NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Warm Water Reports--Freshwater
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-18, 06:15 PM   #1
orey10m
Native

Default Turbidity questions

Anyone know why the turbidity is reported differently at the two sites I've screenshotted and linked to below?:
https://m.waterdata.usgs.gov

https://www2.usgs.gov/water/southatlantic/ga/bacteria/

Kinda frustrating trying to figure out if it's 'safe' to recreate in (in this case kayak).
Thanks for any help interpreting the two !

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 06-18-18, 07:58 PM   #2
Isaac H
Native

I think you’re looking for the difference between the estimated E. coli and the measured?

I’m pretty sure that the count estimated based on turbidity is based on historical E. coli measurements cross referenced with measured turbidity levels at the time of sampling.

The sampled data was someone actually dipping a sample jar in the water and counting cells.

They’re within 12ish% of each other. Could actually be closer given that there’s a couple days difference between the dates.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Isaac H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-18, 10:38 PM   #3
orey10m
Native

Thanks for taking the time to respond.
Sry i wasnt clear ..I was talking about the difference between the 470/403 (might as well call them the same thing) and the 43 on the graph I'm the second picture.

43 is well below the limit they describe as "safe".

I'm realizing i already know the answer I'm looking for though .."just go off the website with the red and green indications."
I'll do that from now on. Not like I'm going to get something changed with the people that are in charge of this from my whining on this thread haha.

Old 06-19-18, 10:05 AM   #4
fishmonger
Past Director, Hall of Fame

Turbidity is lack of clarity of the water. E Coli level is the number of "germs" in the water (a standard sample size), germs that typically come from poopoo.

The numbers are not interchangeable, ie, a turbidity of 47 is not the same as an e coli count of 47.

E coli counts usually corresponds to turbidity levels, but it doesn't have to. But, it does correspond enough at these 2 heavily studied locations for there to be a good estimate of e coli based on turbidity, thus the estimate that the website provides, but those estimates and correlations only apply to those locations.

FM

"Grow a pear!" - Groundpounder
fishmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-18, 06:20 PM   #5
orey10m
Native

Thanks, this is a helpful explanation.