NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Gear Talk > Bamboo Fly Rods
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-13, 09:32 PM   #1
Dead Driftin'
Native

Default Boo and Reel Suggestions

I am planning my next bamboo rod project and wanted some suggestions or advise. I have a Hardy made CFO III reel that I would really like to get on a rod. Would it work on an 8ft 4wt rod? Any thoughts?

Matt
Dead Driftin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-13, 09:39 PM   #2
Buck Henry
Former NGTO President, Sith Lord, FKA Bhuk Henri

Yes, your CFO III would work perfect for an 8 foot 4 weight cane rod. I love UK made CFO's (own 4 of them).

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member
Buck Henry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-13, 08:02 PM   #3
Dead Driftin'
Native

I am really glad you said that because I love UK CFOs as well. I fished an Orvis 7'9" Superfine, Far and Fine, with that CFO for probably 10 years and they are a match made in heaven. But, the CFO doesn't balance any of my bamboo rods. Now that I have refinished a few old rods I would like to buy a blank and finish it exactly the way I want it, and I would like to be able to use my CFO for the reel. Buck, do you have any suggestions on where to get a blank?

Thanks,
Matt
Old 07-12-13, 09:40 PM   #4
The Ole Man
Past Director, Past CFO,

I'm not Buck, but you can get American made blanks, standard or hollow built, ferruled or non-ferruled from Dennis Stone at stonerodco.com. Two piece , three piece and four piece ,ferruled, in Standard Hex for $310, $340 & $395. Same in Hollow for $385, $420 & $480. Non-ferruled for $270, $295 & $320, Hollow for $345, $370 & $395.
The Ole Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-13, 08:00 PM   #5
Dead Driftin'
Native

Ole Man, I am glad I asked. Those prices are great. I am definitely going to look into those.
Old 07-16-13, 03:19 PM   #6
Fish Gazer
Native

I love CFO's too! Fabulous reel.
Fish Gazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-13, 07:17 PM   #7
Dead Driftin'
Native

Does anyone have any suggestions as far as tapers are concerned for an 8' 4wt? I was looking at getting a Payne 200 blank. Any thoughts?
Old 07-22-13, 05:37 PM   #8
cane crazed
Native

Agree on the c f o reel. Will look and work great on bamboo. As far as tapers, I am fond of the Payne tapers the best. Tim Zietak does a great job on ferrules blanks but from there you are on your own. There are some really great tapers in 7 1/2 footers. More to choose. You can also call Tom Or Dennis Stone and tell them what you are looking for and they can modify different tapers.
cane crazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-13, 09:41 PM   #9
Dead Driftin'
Native

Thanks for the info CC. There are definitely more options when you start looking at the shorter rods. Originally I wanted a shorter rod, but now I have really been getting into nymphing so I really think an 8ft is what I need. I've read on various sites about a Payne 200 and a Payne 200L. I can't figure out what the difference is, so I am probably going to call Dennis Stone or AJ Thramer to inquire.