NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Beyond Georgia
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-17, 01:53 PM   #1
Spanish_Fly
Stocker

Default Help me and my bro-in-law catch our first Brookie

We will be staying in the Highlands for Thanksgiving and neither of us have caught a brook trout before. Looking for any suggestions and help! Thanks!
Spanish_Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-17, 02:56 PM   #2
JOHNKIES
Hall of Fame Member

Default It Depends ....

It depends on if you want native or stocker brookies. DH season in both NC and GA at that time so you have the Chattooga and the Tuck just to name two. For wild brookies you have to work a little harder.

Probably the best bet is GSMNP and a second choice would be Panthertown Valley. This area lies just to the north of Lake Toxaway and has a nice population of wild brookies. However, they are known to almost disappear in the winter. If the weather stays mild until then, you have a good chance. That said, DO NOT even think about going into Panthertown without a map. Your GPS won't cut it. As the name says, it's a valley and it gets dark early.
JOHNKIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-17, 12:28 PM   #3
The Snag Whisperer
Native

The pictures of the brookies coming out of the Tuck right now could cause nightmares for small children. They have put some absolute freaks of nature in there this year - I can't wait to go get at them.

Trout Unlimited has done some work on nearby streams and tributaries, some research will reveal those stream names. I would get also consider googling waterfalls in the area (there is a ton) and fishing above any of those.

PV does shut down with a decent dose of cold. Given the elevation, I would bet it has been nice and chilly. Hiking the area is notoriously difficult, but the safer, more obvious and less confusing trails come in from the Eastern side.

Either way you go, be careful and have fun. After you get skunked you can always hit the Scaly Mountain Trout Pond
The Snag Whisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-17, 01:18 PM   #4
HILLIS LANIER
Native

Some beautiful Brookies stocked in DH section of Fires Creek about an hour and half from The Highlands. Google Fires Creek Picnic Area. Good luck and enjoy! See my posting today under Outside Georgia section on NGTO. Here is a pic of one I caught yesterday at Fires Creek.[IMG][IMG]IMG_9531 by JOHN LANIER, on Flickr[/IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by HILLIS LANIER; 10-20-17 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Additional info
HILLIS LANIER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-17, 10:22 PM   #5
trout1980
Native

Delayed harvest

NC stocks brookies unlike GA
trout1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-17, 11:39 PM   #6
troutbum69
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanish_Fly View Post
We will be staying in the Highlands for Thanksgiving and neither of us have caught a brook trout before. Looking for any suggestions and help! Thanks!

If the highlands is highlands nc get a forest service map of the national forest between there and northeast ga. Warwoman wma is just a part of that area. Look for streams that aren't stocked and have barrier falls. Go above said falls and enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Stop Whining"
troutbum69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-17, 11:37 AM   #7
narcodog
Native

If in Highlands go to Brookings and they will put you on whatever you want to catch. You can speak with Roger Lowe one of the masters of southern trout fishing.
narcodog is offline   Reply With Quote