NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Beyond Georgia
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-17, 04:15 PM   #1
fishteeth
Stocker

Default Yellowstone backcountry

I'm planning a backcountry trip in Yellowstone for next year for my 40th- late August or early September. I've fished in the park a few times, but I'd love any advice, especially on backcountry trips. I am thinking Slough Creek but am open to whatever. Thank you!
fishteeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-17, 06:22 PM   #2
JOHNKIES
Hall of Fame Member

Default One Word

One Word: Thoroughfare But use an outfitter
JOHNKIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-17, 01:47 PM   #3
Chsmith_jr
Native

A four day, three night trip up to the third meadow of Slough Creek still remains the best fishing trip I've ever taken. We saw elk, grizzlies, and wolves. The scenery was outstanding. Though it was ~13 mile hike, it's almost completely flat. Once we got to the third meadow, we only saw one other group the whole time--a group on horseback that rode past, to the lodge outside the park. We caught more 14-18" cutthroat than you could count. We caught them on nymphs, streamers, and dries, however you felt like fishing. I don't think you will go wrong there.

The hike around the southside of Yellowstone Lake is pretty secluded. I never made the trip, but you might check on that. I think most people bring in a float tube to fish in the lake, and there are special regs down there. Also, a lot of bears. The fish in the lake are big and abundant, though.
Chsmith_jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-17, 08:32 AM   #4
cane and cork
Stocker

Default Upper Slough and 2 Oceans Plateau

Have backpacked into upper Slough and had similar experience to that reported. If you want to go there you need to get a reservation for a backcountry site NOW!

We also backpacked above Yellowstone Lake into the most remote place in the lower 48. It's called 2 oceans plateau since water up there flows both east and west. You can get a ride via boat from the Marina on Yellowstone lake to the top of the Southeast Arm. They will pick you up at the end of your trip at the drop-off location. Getting from there to the river upstream from the lake requires a walk of about 11 miles. Fishing can be outstanding and can also be difficult depending on time of year but the scenery, wildlife and experience is second to none. There are LOTS of Bears and although we had no issues, we did see fresh tracks every morning along the river. Last time there was in the month of August and we had 3" of snow the day we were leaving so be prepared for weather. It's about 8500 ft. elevation. Permits for backcountry can only be secured for 3 nights. Check YNP website.
cane and cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-17, 09:50 AM   #5
Sgrass
Stocker

Default Slough Creek

I concur with the previous post; Slough Creek is a jewel! I've spent many days in Sept. elk hunting (and fishing) the head waters in the Gallatin National Forest just outside of the Park. Lots of Cuts, and some with size. It's my favorite stream. PM me if you want mote info.
Sgrass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-17, 12:18 PM   #6
THE EG
CFO, HoF Member, Director

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chsmith_jr View Post
Though it was ~13 mile hike, it's almost completely flat.
hehe, our definitions of "almost completely flat" are a bit different. Especially that first 1/2 mile by the parking lot.

Hellroaring Creek trails are pretty cool. We fished there on a day hike but there were good back country camp sites down by the confluence with the Yellowstone.

The back country camp sites up on the upper Lamar and Cache Creek area are also pretty nice.

Frankly, are there any bad back country camp sites in Yellowstone?
Old 10-06-17, 12:55 PM   #7
JOHNKIES
Hall of Fame Member

Cool Bad Camp Sites

Well there is one bad campsite near Yellowstone Lake where we were cooking dinner one night and my wife was making hamburger patties out of a couple pounds of ground chuck. This was about the second week of September and the Park had pretty much emptied out. About then a Park Ranger drove slowly through the campground telling all the campers that this particular campground was on the grizzly migration path and that bears could be expected anytime from sundown to sunset and to take proper precautions. My wife is a city girl and there she was with bears coming and she is elbow deep in raw meat. Remember the scene in 'The Exorist' where the girl does a 360 with her head. I saw my do that .... 8- )
JOHNKIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-17, 06:23 PM   #8
troutgator
Native

Dittos on Slough Creek. It is an absolutely gorgeous part of the world. Pure strain of cutthrought trout and some big ones. Also, prime hopper time.
troutgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-17, 09:36 AM   #9
fishteeth
Stocker

Thanks everyone! Iíve done pebble creek and the Lamar valley/cache creek a few times. Wonderful places. I was thinking of trying slough this time. 3rd meadow sounds great. Definitely want as much solitude as we can get. I get pretty excited just thinking my about it.

Question about slough. I canít seem to find anything info on this. How is the fishing between the meadows? Is it more like mountain streams- trees, tighter, pocket water? Fishable? What about any of the tributaries of slough? How do they fish?

Thanks again.
fishteeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-17, 06:15 PM   #10
troutgator
Native

Slough Creek is a meandering meadow stream. lots of undercut banks and pretty easy wading. The fishing gets better the further upstream you go and there are some wonderful back country campsites. You do need reservations for those sites. I don't know if there are any major tributaries.
At the trailhead there is a uphill hike about 2 miles if I remember. Not too steep, but take your time. Elevation about 8,000 ft. At the top of the trail you'll see the first meadow and probably take a lot of pictures. There is also a beautiful pool right there with lots of fish and some big ones. Walk past it. The fish all have their PHD's. Drive you nuts and there are many more willing fish upstream. See if you can get a copy of Fishing Yellowstone Waters by Charles Waterman. Might see a copy on Amazon. A little dated, but still informative.
troutgator is offline   Reply With Quote