NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Welcome to NGTO > NGTO President / BOD Announcements
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-11, 01:40 PM   #1
Buck Henry
Former NGTO President, Sith Lord, FKA Bhuk Henri

Default NGTO Lost it's Greatest Hero

It is with deep sadness that I have to announce that NGTO has lost one of it's greatest heros. Sandy Trent, better known to us all as Top Turret Gunne, passed away peacefully on September 11, 2011. Gunne was a great man and one of the last of his generation; a generation that saved the world. I spoke with his son in law Mark just a few minutes ago, and he said that he was able to get Gunne up to their Toccoa cabin last week so that he could spend some time on the river with his beloved Oyster bamboo fly rod. Mark said that Gunne really enjoyed what sadly turned out to be his last time fly fishing the Toccoa.

A portion of Gunne's ashes will be interned at the Georgia National Cemetary with full military honors next Tuesday, September 20th at 11:00 am. The cemetary is located on Knox Bridge Road up in Canton. It will be a brief, simple ceremony, but Mark wanted everyone to know that they would be honored for you to attend if you are able. And the remainder of Gunne's ashes will be scattered on the Toccoa River in a private family ceremony. I can think of no better way to honor this man than how the family has chosen to do so.

Gunne was a dear friend to me and to many of you as well. He was a great example to us all on what it meant to love life, love family, love country, and love trout fishing! Please keep Maureen and the rest of Gunne's family in your thoughts and prayers over the coming days.

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member

Last edited by Buck Henry; 09-13-11 at 01:18 PM.
Buck Henry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-11, 01:48 PM   #2
Chuck Morris
Director, Hall of Fame Member

Sad news indeed. Thoughts and prayers going out for Gunne's family and friends.
Old 09-12-11, 01:51 PM   #3
eagle claw
Native

I am sorry to hear this. Although i never got the chance to meet him i enjoyed reading his posts and the contribution he made to this site.
eagle claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-11, 01:55 PM   #4
Swamp Angel
President

I have to bow my head in reverence for the passing of one of our nation's finest. I never had the opportunity to meet Top Turret Gunne, but he was on my mind most of yesterday afternoon as my wife and I were floating back down the Chattahoochee fishing the riffles and timber. I was having difficulty controlling the boat with the trolling motor and was thinking how bombardiers on B-17's were in command of their aircraft during the bombing runs. Flying to the target could be done by any yay-hoo with his wings, but the bombing run required precision that only the bombardiers had been trained for. I had planned to shoot a PM to him asking for a few minor details about a typical mission and thanking him for being there for his country in her hour of need. He truly was a member of America's "Greatest Generation" although I bet he'd humbly deny that there was anything special he'd done during those times.

I missed my opportunity, and I've missed meeting a great man that was and is admired by many. I envy all of you who knew him.

Surely heaven's gates swung open wide for him as he was welcomed home and awarded his new wings.
If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.
Swamp Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-11, 02:04 PM   #5
SlowStreamer
NGTO IT Support Team, Past CIO, Hall of Fame Member

I 1st met Gunne after I had purchased a Buck's bag float tube from him. He wanted to close the deal by sharing some of his magical Elixar.

Since then I have had the pleasure to experience Gunne's sharp wit and sense of humor. I am very sad to hear of Gunne's passing, but proud to say I knew him and happy to know he is at peace now.

Last edited by SlowStreamer; 09-12-11 at 03:07 PM.
SlowStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-11, 02:48 PM   #6
Counslrman
Hall of Fame Member

I remember Gunne's first post a couple of years ago. Somebody flamed him for showing a stringer of trout he and his wife had caught. I felt bad about his having been discourteously treated and got in touch with him. He was a neat guy, a good man, and deserved all our gratitude for his service and the personal example he set.

Jimmy
Counslrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-11, 03:03 PM   #7
Windknot
Director, Hall of Fame Member, Secretary

My condolences to Sandy's family and friends. He will be missed.
Windknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-11, 03:11 PM   #8
FishWillie
Native

Prayers and condolences for Sandy and his family....will pour one out for you Sandy....will
FishWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-11, 04:13 PM   #9
RScott
Ex-President, Victim of the Cajun Rebellion

Pouring one out for a Hero, wish I could do it from 10,000 ft or in a river....

Support the Mission Statement - buy the TU License Plate!

RScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-11, 05:53 PM   #10
fishnpreacher
Board of Directors Chaplain, Hall of Fame

God speed, my brother!
A whole generation of heroes are passing right before our eyes. To you Veterans I say
THANK YOU!

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!
fishnpreacher is offline   Reply With Quote