NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Chattahoochee River
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-17, 05:46 PM   #1
Beanes
Native

Default Cold Fingers

Got tired of getting skunked fishing the the DH, caught my last fish of the year this afternoon. Anyone have some good recommendations for light weight fishing gloves?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-17, 06:11 PM   #2
GoutUnlimited
Red Menace

Whoa!! They should just stock those in the DH and reallocate anything under18” to JB and IF so they don’t go to waste. I’ll take that over a 50 numbers day.
I don’t like gloves so I have thumb holes in my sweater like those kids in school who didn’t want you to see their scars because my parent don’t understand me.

Happy New Years!
Our enemies are those in league with imperialism- the warlords, the bureaucrats, the comprador class and the reactionary section of the intelligentsia attached to them. The leading force in our revolution is the industrial proletariat. Our closest friends are the entire semi-proletariat and petty bourgeoisie. As for the vacillating middle bourgeoisie, the left wing may become our enemies, and their right wing may become our friend. Our enemies are all around us. We must always be on our guard.
GoutUnlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-17, 10:03 PM   #3
Clark44
Stocker

l.l bean ragg whool fingerless gloves are the best.
Clark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-18, 07:54 AM   #4
eyeflyfish
Native

Default Is it ever too cold

I have the fingerless Simms glove and the fold over mittens for really cold days.

Which begs the question: Is it ever too cold to fish?

My coldest day was a 19 degree high on the Amicalola DH. My wife and daughter thought I had lost my mind. My daughter had one question: You think it's normal to go stand in a river when the high temperature is going to be 19 degrees?
My response: For a trout fisherMAN-yes!
Caught 3 that day.
eyeflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-18, 08:01 AM   #5
richf7
Native

I like Simmsí but have to take them off when handling hooks...I always snag them.
richf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-18, 08:04 AM   #6
Buck Henry
Former NGTO President, Sith Lord, FKA Bhuk Henri

I too like good old fashioned finger-less wool gloves. Let's face it, if you are fly fishing in the dead of winter, your fingers are going to get cold! There is only so much you can do.

PS: coldest day I ever fished was 15 degrees. Ran down to the Hooch DH at Whitewater, caught a trout just to prove I could do it, and then went home. But that kind of crazy crap was all done when I wore a younger man's clothes.

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member
Buck Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-18, 09:10 AM   #7
richf7
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Henry View Post

Ran down to the Hooch DH at Whitewater, caught a trout just to prove I could do it, and then went home. But that kind of crazy crap was all done when I wore a younger man's clothes.
That's the best thing about getting older...don't have to prove nuthin' to nobody.
richf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-18, 09:30 AM   #8
fishnpreacher
Board of Directors Chaplain, Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by richf7 View Post
That's the best thing about getting older...don't have to prove nuthin' to nobody.
The coldest I ever fished was around 15*, in Helen. I did catch a few if I remember correctly. I kept waiting for it to warm up.....didn't happen.
You know its cold when you get IN the water to warm up.

I was watching HLNews this morning and the weatherman told about a polar plunge somewhere up north, New Jersey maybe. Fifty men and fifty women jump in and a hundred women jump out.

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!
fishnpreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-18, 10:22 AM   #9
Trout "R"
NGTO Hall of Fame

Trick #1 keep you hands dry. After you put your hands in the water or handle a fish have something to dry your hands off well.
I personally have found just the plain cotton gloves you get at pretty much any convenience store for $2.00 works well. They are thin enough to still feel your rod. And believe me I have tried them all and have them all.
And the coldest I can remember was last year on 1-7-17. I hit Dukes when the big snow storm hit. There was only myself and one other crazy person there. I walked all the way to Shackleford because the van wouldn't make it up the hill. My truck read 21 degrees.
Oh and yes I had a pretty good day!!!!!
Old 01-01-18, 12:15 PM   #10
vancheesey
Native

I like to store a few hand warmers in the front pocket on my waders and switch out my hands in there