NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > North Georgia Rivers--Trout Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-18, 12:10 AM   #1
musket
Stocker

Default Toccoa Tailwater Flows?

I'm not familiar enough with the Toccoa Tailwater to know what the average flow rate is, but, it's around 1550 cfs right now.
We have a cabin on the river rented for the next few days and I would like to know if it's running too hard to try to fish. Maybe Prowler can shed some light on this.

musket
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-18, 06:46 AM   #2
RScott
Ex-President, Victim of the Cajun Rebellion

It will be fine if you are 15ft tall and weigh 800lbs

Good wading is at 350 CFS, so the current reading is almost 4 x safe wading, same goes for all the North Georgia streams and rivers. Tough weekend to go trout fishing

Support the Mission Statement - buy the TU License Plate!

RScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-18, 07:04 AM   #3
musket
Stocker

Yeah, that’s my luck. The first time I’ve gotten to go trout fishing in 15 years and the river has to be all white water.

Last edited by musket; 06-01-18 at 08:26 AM.
Old 06-01-18, 08:26 AM   #4
Buck Henry
Former NGTO President, Sith Lord, FKA Bhuk Henri

Quote:
Originally Posted by RScott View Post
It will be fine if you are 15ft tall and weigh 800lbs
LOL, I was thinking the same thing! Sorry for the bad luck on timing musket! Pretty much everything is blown out right now.

PS: you might want to try tossing a spinner from the bank and letting it tail out and then slowly pull it back up through the eddy's near the bank. I have caught trout in high water using that method.

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member
Buck Henry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-18, 08:27 AM   #5
Prowler
Native, aka Tooga Prowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by musket View Post
Yeah, thatís my luck. The first time Iíve gotten to go trout fishing in 15 years and the river has to all white water.
Yeah they released 24/7 yesterday they had a slight break I think from 1:00 am until 7:00 am this morning and I think they are releasing from 7:00 am until midnight. I just road by it on the way to work and it has a nice red clay yoohoo tint to it Tammen park will always be clear if they stop releasing

Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-18, 01:57 PM   #6
cdresq
Stocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by musket View Post
I'm not familiar enough with the Toccoa Tailwater to know what the average flow rate is, but, it's around 1550 cfs right now.
We have a cabin on the river rented for the next few days and I would like to know if it's running too hard to try to fish. Maybe Prowler can shed some light on this.

musket
Attempted to fish the tailwater from cabin river access about 2 miles from horseshoe (in between curtis switch and horseshoe) May 17-20. Lots of rain and daily releases made it tough. Literally couldn't get a tug no matter what i was throwing- streamers, nymphs, even dries, not a bit of interest.

Thinking the river above the dam is going to be your best bet.
cdresq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-18, 12:29 PM   #7
musket
Stocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Henry View Post
LOL, I was thinking the same thing! Sorry for the bad luck on timing musket! Pretty much everything is blown out right now.

PS: you might want to try tossing a spinner from the bank and letting it tail out and then slowly pull it back up through the eddy's near the bank. I have caught trout in high water using that method.
I got a 14” Brown Friday with this method. Nothing Saturday then 2 10”-12” rainbows Sunday evening using the redneck stand by if night crawlers. No. 8 octopus hooks got them in the lip so both were released unharmed.

Last edited by musket; 06-05-18 at 01:26 PM.
Old 06-04-18, 06:36 PM   #8
flyway
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdresq View Post
Attempted to fish the tailwater from cabin river access about 2 miles from horseshoe (in between curtis switch and horseshoe) May 17-20. Lots of rain and daily releases made it tough. Literally couldn't get a tug no matter what i was throwing- streamers, nymphs, even dries, not a bit of interest.

Thinking the river above the dam is going to be your best bet.
Stayed in a cabin in about that same area over Memorial day weekend and the flow was perfect most of the time for wading. Caught 14 between the two of us with some taking dries but most taking the prince or similar dropper.
flyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-18, 10:44 PM   #9
n4rod
Stocker

I live on the tailwater under the powerlines. Been really messed up with all the rain. Every time I think I'll get a break with a little sunshine, the TVA is releasing water. They've been on a midnight to midnight schedule the last 3 days. Probably washed all the trout downstream to McCaysville! Hopefully this clear weather we're having right now will continue a few more days so the water level will lower in the lake and the TVA will return to a minimal release for wading. I've experienced some really good fishing when the water is falling and slowing down.

Rod
n4rod is offline   Reply With Quote