NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > N. Georgia Small Streams--Trout Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-18, 01:10 PM   #11
Philhutch80
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE EG View Post
Twenty years ago while coming back from Huntsville, I drove the length of Johns Creek. At every pulloff the shoreline was well worn from use. Much of the creek had no vegetation along it. From a personal standpoint, it just wasn't very appealing as a fly fisherman.

I know the Coosa Valley chapter of TU has been doing some stream enhancements on some of the streams in that area over the years.

I am also aware that the TU state council and several chapters have been monitoring several of the lakes on trout streams the past few years to see about warming of water. One such is Lake Marvin on the Girl Scout camp property that runs into Johns Creek. What those thremographs have documented is that summer temps coming out of lake Marvin are fatal to trout. Not much point in stocking in the summer. Discussions are under way to see about moving the flow of water from Lake Marvin from a surface flow over the dam to a bottom flow to keep the water cooler. But that will take 10's if not 100's of thousands of dollars and is up to the private land owners, the DNR and any other agencies that may have a say in such things. Maybe some of the fees from the new "egregious" hike in license fees may even help out.
EG I am confused about where you are talking about. Can you give me some local municipalities or state to know where we are talking about.

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
-Chinese Proverb

“At sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.”
-Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
-PH
Philhutch80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-18, 01:48 PM   #12
mudrun
Native

I had never heard of Lake Marvin, either, and found it on a map - its not too far from the pocket and now i'm trying to figure out if I've run past it before. I think I might have while pacing a friend who was training for the Jewel.

The camp to which he refers is Misty Mountain, not Juliette Low (girl scout camp not camp founded by creator of the girl scouts - even the girl scouts see the value of sowing confusion amongst mountain streams - I approve)... and that area is very interesting. Isn't the Pocket itself a giant limestone sink?

Either way, converting a lake to a cold tailwater is a really interesting idea.
mudrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-18, 02:04 PM   #13
The Snag Whisperer
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philhutch80 View Post
I had no idea. I know how challenging that can be as I have guys in my industry that I train that have to deal with that. Let me see if I can find another map. Carters Lake is the lake I was referring to. While the dam and lake are in metamorphic rock, the river that flows out has a bedrock layer of limestone that it flows over in several places. Shame too cuz if the river was bout 5-10 degrees cooler it would probably support a great population of trout.

Wow, yeah certain types of vegetation are going to hold them buggers. I can’t stand them. Or chiggers. But hey at least one place you could tie a tick pattern and potentially do ok.
Sounds like you boys need to spray down your clothes with Permethrin before heading out. Nasty stuff, but so is Lyme Disease.
The Snag Whisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-18, 02:14 PM   #14
THE EG
CFO, HoF Member, Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philhutch80 View Post
EG I am confused about where you are talking about. Can you give me some local municipalities or state to know where we are talking about.

Phil,

Lake Marvin is on the Johns Mountain Wildlife Management Area just south of what is known as "The Pocket Recreation Area", which is actually very cool in its own right. Johns Creek,because of the water temp, is a stocked, marginal stream at best that gets pounded by the locals from what I understand...and from the appearance I saw.
Old 06-05-18, 02:22 PM   #15
THE EG
CFO, HoF Member, Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudrun View Post
The camp to which he refers is Misty Mountain, not Juliette Low (girl scout camp not camp founded by creator of the girl scouts - even the girl scouts see the value of sowing confusion amongst mountain streams - I approve)... and that area is very interesting. Isn't the Pocket itself a giant limestone sink?
I was not aware there were different girl scouts...which I consider a good thing.

I think part of the problem with those streams in that area is they are mostly at less than a 1000 feet elevation and even with limestone strata around, don't stay cool enough for good continued trout water.
Old 06-05-18, 02:29 PM   #16
Buck Henry
Former NGTO President, Sith Lord, FKA Bhuk Henri

I use to fish Lake Marvin a lot. They allowed boats with motors less than a certain HP on it. I think they use to charge a nominal fee to fish it. Lots of good bass in that lake!

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member
Buck Henry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-18, 03:41 PM   #17
Philhutch80
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE EG View Post
Phil,

Lake Marvin is on the Johns Mountain Wildlife Management Area just south of what is known as "The Pocket Recreation Area", which is actually very cool in its own right. Johns Creek,because of the water temp, is a stocked, marginal stream at best that gets pounded by the locals from what I understand...and from the appearance I saw.
Thanks EG! You just blew my mind. NOW that would be a cool project to get involved with if it were to come to fruition. The Pocket was somewhere we frequented a lot to explore for potential rock climbs. Do the trout that are stocked there generally get fished out or do they survive year round?

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
-Chinese Proverb

“At sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.”
-Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
-PH
Philhutch80 is offline   Reply With Quote